Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,592 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? (927 Views)

What Is The Difference Between M.sc Taught And M.sc Research? / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by Saao(m): 3:49pm On May 06, 2020
hello Nairalanders,

what's the difference between M.sc and M.phil?
secondly, can someone apply directly for M.philosophy? e.g unilag. i know m.sc is by coursework while M.phil is by research, my question is base on admission requirement.

I'm planning to apply. i have b.sc in environmental studies and toxicology (upper div.)
went to unilag website, i saw m.sc environmental toxicology and pollution mgt and M.phil toxicology. again saw m.phil environemntal toxicology and pollution mgt.

can b.sc apply for M.phil in toxicology?

thank you
Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by seunlayi(m): 3:59pm On May 06, 2020
Hmm
Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by Saao(m): 4:08pm On May 06, 2020
seunlayi:
Hmm
meaning?
Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by superlightning: 4:08pm On May 06, 2020
Saao:
hello Nairalanders,

what's the difference between M.sc and M.phil?
secondly, can someone apply directly for M.philosophy? e.g unilag. i know m.sc is by coursework while M.phil is by research, my question is base on admission requirement.

I'm planning to apply for admission. i have b.sc in environmental studies and toxicology (upper div.)
went to unilag website, i saw m.sc environmental toxicology and pollution mgt and M.phil toxicology. again saw m.phil environemntal toxicology and pollution mgt.

what do you know about the above interms of admission requirement? can b.sc apply for M.phil in toxicology?

thank you

No.

MPhil. is a post-masters research degree

if you are above 3.49 but below 4.0 in your masters certificate, you can't apply for PhD directly. You need to go through MPhil before moving on to PhD.

Sometimes, the university you are applying to for PhD may not fully appreciate your masters certificate from another school. They would rather place you on MPhil first before allowing you move ahead with their PhD program.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by Saao(m): 4:24pm On May 06, 2020
superlightning:

No.

MPhil. is a post-masters research degree

if you are above 3.49 but below 4.0 in your masters certificate, you can't apply for PhD directly. You need to go through MPhil before moving on to PhD.

Sometimes, the university you are applying to for PhD may not fully appreciate your masters certificate from another school. They would rather place you on MPhil first before allowing you move ahead with their PhD program.

oh ok thanks alot. but in the case of unilag. in the school website, i saw m.sc and M.phil in environmental toxicology and pollution mgt, which fall into the explanation you gave. then i discovered they have M.phil in toxicology but no M.sc in toxicology and i prefer to go for toxicology. what do u think i should do? sorry for asking too much
Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by superlightning: 5:04pm On May 06, 2020
Saao:
oh ok thanks alot. but in the case of unilag. in the school website, i saw m.sc and M.phil in environmental toxicology and pollution mgt, which fall into the explanation you gave. then i discovered they have M.phil in toxicology but no M.sc in toxicology and i prefer to go for toxicology. what do u think i should do? sorry for asking too much

I think it's better you get the department and make a direct enquiry.

It could also possibly be that there may not be any MSc. program for the course at the moment, but MScs from other universities could be welcome for a pre-PhD program (MPhil)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between M.sc And M. Phil.? by Saao(m): 5:22pm On May 06, 2020
superlightning:

I think it's better you get the department and make a direct enquiry.

It could also possibly be that there may not be any MSc. program for the course at the moment, but MScs from other universities could be welcome for a pre-PhD program (MPhil)
OK thanks alot. I really appreciate

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: FG Can Re-open School - See Reasons / Does JAMB Change Their Syllabus Every Year? / Dear Senior In Medicine And Surgery, Pls Advice!!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.