Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,257 members, 7,953,970 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:03 AM

“I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President (431 Views)

Algerians Celebrate In The Streets As President Abdelaziz Bouteflika Resigns / Algerians Celebrate After President Resigns (video) / Algerian Students Protest In Thousands As Their President Seeks Re-Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by FryMosquito: 6:37pm On May 06, 2020
According to President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, Algeria has ruled out approaching the IMF and international financial institutions for loans despite the looming financial crisis in the country after a fall in oil prices.

“Accumulating debt harms national sovereignty”, Abdelmadjid Tebboune said during a meeting with Algerian media broadcast on Friday night.

Algeria is heavily dependent on oil production, which generates over 90% of the country’s export receipts, and its foreign exchange reserves have fallen drastically from €162.4bn in 2014 to close to €57bn at the end of 2019.

Confronted with falling oil prices and the economic shutdown brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, Tebboune said that Algeria would prefer “to borrow from its own citizens , rather than the IMF or the World Bank”, recalling the negative experience the country had when it took out loans from the IMF in the early 1990s.

Tebboune also pointed out that the informal sector, which encompasses players outside the traditional financial system, represents “between 6trn and 10trn Tunisian dinars (between €42.57bn and around €71bn)”, guaranteeing that the owners of the funds would have “every assurance and incentive […] to contribute to the national economy”.

Recession in view

“I would rather borrow from Algerians than from the IMF or other foreign banks” because “when we borrow from foreign banks, we can’t discuss Palestine or the Western Sahara”, two very important causes for Algiers, said Tebboune.

“In dealing with the coronavirus crisis, our strength was that we weren’t in debt”, he added.

https://www.theafricareport.com/27332/i-would-rather-borrow-from-algerians-than-from-the-imf-says-president/

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by DanseMacabre(m): 6:39pm On May 06, 2020
Buhari come and see your mate o.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by Shelumiel: 6:42pm On May 06, 2020
Buhari is a a fool.
Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 06, 2020
Mr robot and his brothers don't care about this one.

Na to de borrow and borrow with nothing to show for it.
See as other African countries mock us everyday even on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by ojun50(m): 6:45pm On May 06, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Buhari come and see your mate o.
Make una leave am alone, my prayers for Nigerian na make we vote wisely next election
Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by Righteousness89(m): 6:48pm On May 06, 2020
Our own would rematger beg IMF!

FATHER, DELIVER NIGERIA
Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by saintokwuluora(m): 6:56pm On May 06, 2020
Day before yesterday it was Idris Deby, yesterday it was Yoweri Musuveni and today it isTebboune, whom will it be tomorrow? African presidents showing Buhari the way. What a president!
Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by FryMosquito: 7:44pm On May 06, 2020
ojun50:

Make una leave am alone, my prayers for Nigerian na make we vote wisely next election
LOL! Vote wisely keh.. You forgot about rigging wisely..
As if votes will count
Re: “I Would Rather Borrow From Algerians Than From The IMF” Algerian President by Blackfire(m): 11:26pm On May 07, 2020
Buhari , will not agree o,

(1) (Reply)

US Election 2020: Trump’s Supporter Pulls A Gun On Protesters (VIDEO) / Officials Condemn Trump’s False Claims:2020 Election 'most secure' In US History / Ugandans Are Tired Of Museveni But Can’t Vote Him Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.