Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,332 members, 7,836,400 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola (890 Views)

Wike To Back Tinubu For 2023 Presidency After Loss At PDP Primaries / Farewell To Abba Kyari By Adams Oshiomhole / Living In Fear Of Abba Kyari By Tunji Ajibade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by murecool(m): 11:47am On May 07, 2020
Osinbajo holds the key to any sound legacy President Buhari may wish to establish. Undermine Osinbajo at your peril.

Public discourse has naturally shifted to permutations about the next chief of staff to President Muhammadu Buhari following Abba Kyari’s death. One newspaper reported that 26 persons, including current and former ministers, governors and senators, were already jostling for the position of chief of staff. What will or should the Buhari presidency look like after Abba Kyari? Vice president Yemi Osinbajo holds the aces to a successful Buhari presidency regardless of who replaces Kyari.

Some caveats are crucial at this stage. For the avoidance of doubt, I have never met Professor Osinbajo. I am not a contractor and I do not seek a job in government. By the grace of God, I have a permanent academic position in a top 100 global university. The Supreme Court of Canada struck down mandatory retirement for university professors. That means I do not have to retire from my position. Therefore, in a country like Nigeria where motives are understandably dissected and clinically shredded, I would like to be clear that I have no ulterior motive. 

Yemi Osinbajo served as attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos state between 1999 and 2007 under Chief Bola Tinubu. As the All Progressives Congress (APC) emerged to challenge President Goodluck Jonathan and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2015 elections, the choice of a suitable running mate for Muhammadu Buhari became a politically contentious matter. Tinubu was the obvious choice given his broad political influence and the crucial role he played in the formation of APC. Some APC stalwarts were concerned that a Muslim-Muslim ticket would be risky despite the historic Abiola-Kingibe ticket. There were also concerns about feeding into a supposed Islamization and sharia agenda by Buhari. Religious grounds — rightly or wrongly — were used to knock Tinubu out of consideration for vice president. Olusegun Adeniyi notes in his book Against the run of play that Buhari asked Tinubu to nominate three individuals. The Jagaban of Borgu Kingdom presented only one name — Yemi Osinbajo. The rest is history. 
A vice president is largely as effective as the principal allows in a presidential system of government. The vice presidency is a difficult position anywhere in the world. A president is right to carefully calibrate the powers delegated to a vice president and weigh the individual’s loyalty, ethics, and capacity. Professor Osinbajo has suffered serious indignities as vice president with the epithet “VP academic” a summation of it all. He has borne insults, disrespect and belittlement with uncommon grace. 
The fiasco during the invasion of the National Assembly by agents of the Department of State Security (DSS) in August 2018 compelled Yemi Osinbajo, as acting president, to remove Lawal Daura from the position of director general of the DSS. It was absolutely the right decision to make given the ignominy the incident brought on the government and Nigeria’s democratic practice. Professor Osinbajo has paid a heavy price for that decision. Those who thought it was a good idea to have Abba Kyari take a bill to President Buhari in London in November 2019 disrespected the vice president. Why take a bill to London for the president’s signature when there was a capable vice president? 
The removal of the vice president’s key aides, refusal to name him acting president during President Buhari’s subsequent trips overseas and creation of a parallel economic think-tank vis-à-vis that headed by the VP exemplify his travails in the presidency. People who have neither his character nor his intellect have undermined him in the presidency. Ultimately, such characters do not wish Nigeria well.
Nevertheless, Professor Osinbajo has proven his mettle. In August 2017, President Buhari commended Osinbajo and noted that he “used his intellect” to govern the country as acting president during his extended stay overseas for medical reasons. Buhari also emphasized the “loyalty and dedication” of Osinbajo on the vice president’s 63rd birthday in March 2020. The likes of the Emir of Daura, Alhaji Farouk Umar, have also acknowledged the loyalty, commitment and dedication of Osinbajo. Some other VP could have begun to scheme to usurp power once the president became ill.
President Buhari needs to allow his deputy to use his knowledge to shape the direction of the government. Osinbajo does not have overweening ambitions. He will seek little credit for himself and not outshine his principal. He is smart and loyal. He has proven to be a bridge-builder in a politically fractured society. Recall his engagement with the Niger Delta crisis and the relative calm in the region since then. There was also palpable calmness in Nigeria when Osinbajo was acting president particularly in 2018. The stock market loved him; he was viewed as a steady and secure pair of hands. People who have been part of strategy sessions with him attest to his acuity.  
I have emphasized for a while that those still spending time criticizing the Buhari presidency are wasting their time. This is time for solutions. This government needs help. The sea-washed lifeless body of three-year old Alan Kurdi, a boy fleeing war-torn Syria with his family in 2015, is a compelling reason why we must wish our country well even if you do not wish the government good luck (no pun intended). This government and this country may unravel at the seams if President Buhari allows — implicitly or explicitly — his deputy to be marginalized in a post-Kyari Aso Rock. 
Osinbajo holds the key to any sound legacy President Buhari may wish to establish. Undermine Osinbajo at your peril. 
‘Tope Oriola teaches criminology and terrorism studies at the University of Alberta, Canada. Follow Oriola on Twitter: @topeoriola

http://saharareporters.com/2020/05/07/osinbajo-and-buhari-presidency-after-abba-kyari-‘tope-oriola?fbclid=IwAR0vbNQ0mc0nqm2HZdXR6gRqvSiGCmA-mfPV2VnyIXiSno_7r-rE55Q3L-A

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by globalresource: 11:48am On May 07, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Tissaia(f): 11:49am On May 07, 2020
Sahara reporters are fake news they are enemy of the state
Foreign-backed Sahara Reporters Deliberately Instigating Mutiny Amongst Troops, Group Says

https://aljazirahnews.com/foreign-backed-sahara-reporters-deliberately-instigating-mutiny-amongst-troops-group-says/
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Tissaia(f): 11:49am On May 07, 2020
So this attempt at creating political chaos between Christians and Muslims especially between Yoruba and Hausa
We are ahead of you guys I-pigs when it's comes to politics and morality ask Ojukwu and lamidi cownu whatsup! This people are becoming nuisance if not for the new Global order. We will deal with u people Stalin style
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by TheRareGem1(f): 12:06pm On May 07, 2020
PYO has a very scary resume. Scary In the sense that if you are the lazy type and not hardworking type, you feel scared. I Stan vp. Started as a lecturer at the age of 23. While being the attorney general of Lagos, won a case against FG. That's not easy at all.
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Deputy1111(m): 12:11pm On May 07, 2020
Anywhere anytime, Osinbajo is the man of the people, he is quality to be our president come 2023

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Zeemam: 12:12pm On May 07, 2020
I want to be like the VP when I grow up
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Racoon(m): 12:12pm On May 07, 2020
The fiasco during the invasion of the National Assembly by agents of the Department of State Security in August 2018 compelled Yemi Osinbajo, as Ag. President, to remove Lawal Daura from the position of director general of the DSS.

It was absolutely the right decision to make given the ignominy the incident brought on the government and Nigeria’s democratic practice but Professor Osinbajo has paid a heavy price for that decision.
VP Osinbajo is a well capable deputy quiet all right.The problem is Mr.President allowing the kitchen cabal to rubbishing his past decisions & ostracized his 2IC from the hierarchy of government as in the Lawal Daura DSS-NASS invasion brigandage.

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by okefrancis: 12:18pm On May 07, 2020
Three gboza for the writer ,I'm so happy and I wish I were VP osinbajo for all his positive and good motive
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Naturopathic: 12:20pm On May 07, 2020
yemi osinbajo is a positive and dynamic man
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Genoa(m): 12:21pm On May 07, 2020
The incoming president, Federal republic of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Joyce95: 12:47pm On May 07, 2020
VP Osinbajo he's ever best

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by festacman(m): 12:47pm On May 07, 2020
VP
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by OgundeleTeju: 12:48pm On May 07, 2020
I have always said that Osinbajo is a sellable candidate anywhere anytime

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Wada3: 12:57pm On May 07, 2020
I think the writer has been able to established his points with cogent and verifiable facts. Like I have said before, the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo is a workaholic man on divine mission in Nigeria, and he would continue to offer progressive services to this country.
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Wada3: 12:59pm On May 07, 2020
May God continue to strengthening the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo. He has been so wonderful in the discharge of his duties
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Joylove2324(f): 1:38pm On May 07, 2020
smiley
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by Shooyie: 1:52pm On May 07, 2020
The VP is capable of being the President and we all have seen briefly what he can do while he was Acting President. Even as VP, he has undoubtedly done excellently well.
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by maybanks: 2:39pm On May 07, 2020
First time am seeing a balanced piece from Sahara reporters. Meanwhile VP Osinbajo has always been a stabilizing force in the Buhari Presidency. He is cool, calm, smart, articulate, intelligent and very loyal to his Boss.
Re: Osinbajo And The Buhari Presidency After Abba Kyari By ‘tope Oriola by honeyB2018: 4:05pm On May 07, 2020
murecool:
Osinbajo holds the key to any sound legacy President Buhari may wish to establish. Undermine Osinbajo at your peril.

Public discourse has naturally shifted to permutations about the next chief of staff to President Muhammadu Buhari following Abba Kyari’s death. One newspaper reported that 26 persons, including current and former ministers, governors and senators, were already jostling for the position of chief of staff. What will or should the Buhari presidency look like after Abba Kyari? Vice president Yemi Osinbajo holds the aces to a successful Buhari presidency regardless of who replaces Kyari.

Some caveats are crucial at this stage. For the avoidance of doubt, I have never met Professor Osinbajo. I am not a contractor and I do not seek a job in government. By the grace of God, I have a permanent academic position in a top 100 global university. The Supreme Court of Canada struck down mandatory retirement for university professors. That means I do not have to retire from my position. Therefore, in a country like Nigeria where motives are understandably dissected and clinically shredded, I would like to be clear that I have no ulterior motive. 

Yemi Osinbajo served as attorney general and commissioner for justice in Lagos state between 1999 and 2007 under Chief Bola Tinubu. As the All Progressives Congress (APC) emerged to challenge President Goodluck Jonathan and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2015 elections, the choice of a suitable running mate for Muhammadu Buhari became a politically contentious matter. Tinubu was the obvious choice given his broad political influence and the crucial role he played in the formation of APC. Some APC stalwarts were concerned that a Muslim-Muslim ticket would be risky despite the historic Abiola-Kingibe ticket. There were also concerns about feeding into a supposed Islamization and sharia agenda by Buhari. Religious grounds — rightly or wrongly — were used to knock Tinubu out of consideration for vice president. Olusegun Adeniyi notes in his book Against the run of play that Buhari asked Tinubu to nominate three individuals. The Jagaban of Borgu Kingdom presented only one name — Yemi Osinbajo. The rest is history. 
A vice president is largely as effective as the principal allows in a presidential system of government. The vice presidency is a difficult position anywhere in the world. A president is right to carefully calibrate the powers delegated to a vice president and weigh the individual’s loyalty, ethics, and capacity. Professor Osinbajo has suffered serious indignities as vice president with the epithet “VP academic” a summation of it all. He has borne insults, disrespect and belittlement with uncommon grace. 
The fiasco during the invasion of the National Assembly by agents of the Department of State Security (DSS) in August 2018 compelled Yemi Osinbajo, as acting president, to remove Lawal Daura from the position of director general of the DSS. It was absolutely the right decision to make given the ignominy the incident brought on the government and Nigeria’s democratic practice. Professor Osinbajo has paid a heavy price for that decision. Those who thought it was a good idea to have Abba Kyari take a bill to President Buhari in London in November 2019 disrespected the vice president. Why take a bill to London for the president’s signature when there was a capable vice president? 
The removal of the vice president’s key aides, refusal to name him acting president during President Buhari’s subsequent trips overseas and creation of a parallel economic think-tank vis-à-vis that headed by the VP exemplify his travails in the presidency. People who have neither his character nor his intellect have undermined him in the presidency. Ultimately, such characters do not wish Nigeria well.
Nevertheless, Professor Osinbajo has proven his mettle. In August 2017, President Buhari commended Osinbajo and noted that he “used his intellect” to govern the country as acting president during his extended stay overseas for medical reasons. Buhari also emphasized the “loyalty and dedication” of Osinbajo on the vice president’s 63rd birthday in March 2020. The likes of the Emir of Daura, Alhaji Farouk Umar, have also acknowledged the loyalty, commitment and dedication of Osinbajo. Some other VP could have begun to scheme to usurp power once the president became ill.
President Buhari needs to allow his deputy to use his knowledge to shape the direction of the government. Osinbajo does not have overweening ambitions. He will seek little credit for himself and not outshine his principal. He is smart and loyal. He has proven to be a bridge-builder in a politically fractured society. Recall his engagement with the Niger Delta crisis and the relative calm in the region since then. There was also palpable calmness in Nigeria when Osinbajo was acting president particularly in 2018. The stock market loved him; he was viewed as a steady and secure pair of hands. People who have been part of strategy sessions with him attest to his acuity.  
I have emphasized for a while that those still spending time criticizing the Buhari presidency are wasting their time. This is time for solutions. This government needs help. The sea-washed lifeless body of three-year old Alan Kurdi, a boy fleeing war-torn Syria with his family in 2015, is a compelling reason why we must wish our country well even if you do not wish the government good luck (no pun intended). This government and this country may unravel at the seams if President Buhari allows — implicitly or explicitly — his deputy to be marginalized in a post-Kyari Aso Rock. 
Osinbajo holds the key to any sound legacy President Buhari may wish to establish. Undermine Osinbajo at your peril. 
‘Tope Oriola teaches criminology and terrorism studies at the University of Alberta, Canada. Follow Oriola on Twitter: @topeoriola

http://saharareporters.com/2020/05/07/osinbajo-and-buhari-presidency-after-abba-kyari-‘tope-oriola?fbclid=IwAR0vbNQ0mc0nqm2HZdXR6gRqvSiGCmA-mfPV2VnyIXiSno_7r-rE55Q3L-A

Another tribal chauvinistic spotted.
Why not denying Proff Yemi Osibanjo, his rightful position in the government. He is just an individual.

(1) (Reply)

April Stipends Of N-power Beneficiaries Paid — FG / Breaking: Former President Olusegun Obasanjo Sacks Staffs, Refused To Pay Salary / We Gave APC Their Victory In 2015, We Will Destroy Them In 2023- Almajiris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.