Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,129 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? (482 Views)

My Son My Man- A Story / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by kayo80(m): 1:00pm On May 07, 2020
I know what I go through mentally, emotionally. physically, and psychologically while writing a story, but I want to hear from other fiction writers.

Ernest Hemingway once said, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is seat down at a typewriter and bleed." This quote best explains how I feel sometimes, and I feel a lot of other writers feel this way too while working on a story. It might sound odd to most people, but I believe if you really are a creative, you will understand this. There is the saying, "great art comes from great pain." The saying doesn't say, art comes from great pain...but GREAT ART comes from great pain.

I would like to get comments from other fiction writers out there. The way I would like to explain this further is like...fiction writers have very little filters in the brain...we let a lot in, compared to the normal person. This fuels our creativity, and also makes us have a lot of baggage in our brains. It's like walking that fine line between sanity and insanity. Once again, I believe creative people will understand what I am talking about.

When you are writing, you immerse yourself deep into that world you have created in your head. You live the life of the individual characters of your story (you are a man, a woman, a girl, a little boy, an introvert, an extrovert...). There lives are as real as real can be to you. And because the brain can't tell the difference between what is imagine and what is real, you sometimes experience some of the things you write about. That is why a Larrysun can experience multiple robberies within a short period of time because he writes great crime stories, and he is deeply immersed in that world. Or why, I can experience roller coasters of emotions in my personal life, because I write love stories.

Let me give you an experience of what I'm talking about. In 2016, I had just finished writing the last chapter of my story, Me, You, and Them : Book 2 (https://www.nairaland.com/3322331/me-book-2-romance-novelette), and i decided to travel for a party I had been invited for that I had previously turned down. Heck, I was in a celebratory mood. Long story short, I got down at Sagamu junction on the Lagos Ibadan express where my friend was meant to pick me up. Before I knew it, I had a machete to my throat. I got robbed by about half a dozen robbers. They took my phone, wallet, everything. Guess what happened in the last chapter of the story I had just completed? The main character in the book had escaped a lynching by some goons, but they later caught up with him on the express, and shot him.

I think I have written too much. lol! Please, I would love comments from fiction writers on what they think of this theory.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by Creeza(m): 2:47pm On May 07, 2020
It's like a thin line between *sanity and insanity*...

grin Honestly Kayo. That's what it is...

I get so drawn into the world I'm creating and nothing else matters than racing my characters down to the finish line..Their pain becomes mine.Their goals, my bane. their flops my biggest strengths and their past my future. Even their deepest secrets hunt me daily. Like I' know a character will kill another in the next chapter and it's against my ethics to tell about it. I figure it out the hard way that it would make me a stool pigeon. And let it be I would tell myself. It's painful though lol.

Sometimes I see things I've wanted to wrIte about in fiction manifest in reality even before I pen them down..... Some kinda deja vu or crazy ass deep voodoo shit Ion know. A thin line between sanity and insanity. I hope I don't run wacko one day (Lol)

No wonder a wise man once said “ Writers are prophets”

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by kayo80(m): 3:07pm On May 07, 2020
Creeza:
It's like a thin line between *sanity and insanity*...

grin Honestly Kayo. That's what it is...

I get so drawn into the world I'm creating and nothing else matters than racing my characters down to the finish line..Their pain becomes mine.Their goals, my bane. their flops my biggest strengths and their past my future. Even their deepest secrets hunt me daily. Like I' know a character will kill another in the next chapter and it's against my ethics to tell about it. I figure it out the hard way that it would make me a stool pigeon. And let it be I would tell myself. It's painful though lol.

Sometimes I see things I've wanted to wrIte about in fiction manifest in reality even before I pen them down..... Some kinda deja vu or crazy ass deep voodoo shit Ion know. A thin line between sanity and insanity. I hope I don't run wacko one day (Lol)

No wonder a wise man once said “ Writers are prophets”

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I am not alone on this. I guess it is the price we have to pay for "creating" something out of nothing.

1 Like

Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by NoChill: 6:05pm On May 07, 2020
Truly speaking, as a writer before I start any story or script, I will first act out the scene by myself alone behind closed doors. At that moment I am the hero, the villain, a man, a woman, a child or even a multitude of people.

Once am in the zone, my brain ceases to assimilate real world information as I am deeply immersed in my world of fiction. It is just like Astral traveling.

And truly I feel a kind of attachment to my stories.

2 Likes

Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by kayo80(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2020
NoChill:
Truly speaking, as a writer before I start any story or script, I will first act out the scene by myself alone behind closed doors. At that moment I am the hero, the villain, a man, a woman, a child or even a multitude of people.

Once am in the zone, my brain ceases to assimilate real world information as I am deeply immersed in my world of fiction. It is just like Astral traveling.

And truly I feel a kind of attachment to my stories.

Interesting. Thanks for this comment.
Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by hizeeksheun(m): 6:35pm On May 07, 2020
The living two lives part of being a Storyteller. You live yours and that of your characters.

1 Like

Re: Fiction Writers, What Do You Go Through Mentally While Writing A Story? by kayo80(m): 8:53pm On May 07, 2020
hizeeksheun:
The living two lives part of being a Storyteller.
You live yours and that of your characters.

Yeah. That's why some writers have multiple personalities.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Signify If You Sell Grammarly Accounts / Green, White And A Stain Of Red #endpolicebrutality [prose Poetry] / Petals In Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.