Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,013 members, 7,821,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? (3861 Views)

About The Name ‘yoruba’, By Prof Banji Akintoye / My Opinion About The Name 'yoruba' / Where Does The Name Yoruba Originated From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Nobody: 10:17am On May 08, 2020
As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" was first recorded in reference to the Oyo Empire in a treatise written by the 16th century Songhai scholar Ahmed Baba.

It was popularized by Hausa usage and ethnography written in Arabic and Ajami during the 19th century, in origin referring to the Oyo exclusively.

The extension of the term to all speakers of dialects related to the usage of the Oyo (in modern terminology North-West Yoruba) dates to the second half of the 19th century.

It is due to the influence of Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first Anglican bishop in Nigeria. Crowther was himself a Yoruba and compiled the first Yoruba dictionary as well as introducing a standard for Yoruba orthography.

The alternative name Akú, apparently an exonym derived from the first words of Yoruba greetings (such as Ẹ kú àárọ? "good morning", Ẹ kú alẹ? "good evening"wink has survived in certain parts of our diaspora as a self-descriptive, especially in Sierra Leone.

The first name the Yorubas were called was Yoruba.

What does that mean? I carried on, Samuel Ajayi Crowther in his Yoruba dictionary defines ‘Yoruba’ as a bastard and deceitful person in Hausa.

Another description comes from the Dr Taiwo Ayanbolu who insisted Yoruba is a name derived from Hausa language which means deceit. He claimed he found the definition at York Museum in England dating to the 19th century.

It has been recorded that the Hausa-Fulani who had been in contact with the Yoruba even before the rise of Oyo Empire had for some reasons chosen to call us Yoruba, or Yaribansa. Perhaps this might have been a result of Yoruba people’s bargaining skills which often made the Fulani traders fall victim of trade by barter.

Some say that the word Yoruba started protruding during the clash between Yoruba and Fulani that steered the lost of Ilorin to them in the 18th century.

Professor Ade Ajayi in “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.

Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers.

The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation. Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.

Furthermore, in the Ifa Corpus there's no Odu where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, it is as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

Thus said, the word Yoruba is new in our vocabulary and it is a way of showing we accepted a negative appellation dropped on us by hostile foreigners.

Debo Kayode Ogunranti
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by larj(m): 5:20pm On May 08, 2020
Source biko
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 08, 2020
larj:
Source biko
Saw it somewhere
Counter it with evidence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by NwunneWike: 1:10pm On May 10, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Saw it somewhere
Counter it with evidence

Yoruba is a slave name coined from an hausa name bayerabe, which means 'untrustworthy or cunning'. It has no meaning in yoruba language.

Let's make this thread active my yoruba friend. grin

7 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 10, 2020
NwunneWike:

Yoruba is a slave name coined from an hausa name bayerabe, which means 'untrustworthy or cunning'. It has no meaning in yoruba language.

Lets us make it active. I'm looking for input from my yoruba friends too. Tag anyone you know I'm curious

4 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by lawani: 2:12pm On May 10, 2020
The Phoenicians are the ancestors of Arabs. They referred to Europe as I Europa meaning westerners. When Arabs became Muslims and Europe prospered without accepting Islam, the name Europa came to mean those who prospered without submitting to Allah. The Songhai were Muslims and they corrupted Europa to Yoruba giving the name to the oyo empire because oyo prospered without submitting to Allah. The name is proto Arabic being originally of Phoenician origin.

4 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by shokoman22: 1:48am On Jun 29, 2020
This is very interesting, thanks. The origin of the names, values ​​and culture of other peoples has always attracted me, so I began to get involved in ethnography. I learned a lot of new and interesting about ethnographic features on page. There are examples of excellent and informative stories, most of which I have already studied. I’m also thinking of writing a small paper about the peculiarity of my people.
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by firestar(f): 6:48am On Jun 29, 2020
lawani:
The Phoenicians are the ancestors of Arabs. They referred to Europe as I Europa meaning westerners. When Arabs became Muslims and Europe prospered without accepting Islam, the name Europa came to mean those who prospered without submitting to Allah. The Songhai were Muslims and they corrupted Europa to Yoruba giving the name to the oyo empire because oyo prospered without submitting to Allah. The name is proto Arabic being originally of Phoenician origin.

That’s quite informative.
Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by somehow: 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2020
lol grin
lawani:

3 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by somehow: 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2020
Without asking for source or verifiable evidence?
firestar:

That’s quite informative.
Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by firestar(f): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2020
somehow:
Without asking for source or verifiable evidence?

Doesn’t stop me from at least being gracious for the info, no?

2 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by AreaFada2: 4:00pm On Jul 01, 2020
Well, we already knew it came from Muslim people.

Hausa Fulani still deal with the SW with their original meaning at the back of their mind.

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 01, 2020
AreaFada2:

Hausa Fulani still deal with the SW with their original. Meaning at the back of their mind.

That's correct.

For once I have course to agree with you.

4 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 7:51pm On Jul 01, 2020
This is quite informative. FFK once condemned the "yoruba" but he was heavily criticized. I can't remember the tabloid where he wrote d article. He accrued the origin of "yoruba" to d hausa-fulani, but that they referred to d Westerners as "Yoruba" and that he will no longer succumb to the name......

Anyway, who can give us d origin of "hausa or Fulani" name. (Not their origin but d name "hausa")

4 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by AreaFada2: 2:48am On Jul 03, 2020
Quite interesting how TAO11 and others are avoiding this thread.

I guess because it's not exactly an ego massage thread. grin
Ghostwon
Gregyboy

3 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by baby124: 4:46am On Jul 03, 2020
NwunneWike:

This doesn’t even make sense to you or anybody in this world. Yorubas were the ones selling northern slaves and they were reported to colonialislits. It’s only until the Yoruba civil war that they started selling Yoruba enemies. Before that they didn’t sell themselves.
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by baby124: 4:48am On Jul 03, 2020
Pharaoh4rin:
This is quite informative. FFK once condemned the "yoruba" but he was heavily criticized. I can't remember the tabloid where he wrote d article. He accrued the origin of "yoruba" to d hausa-fulani, but that they referred to d Westerners as "Yoruba" and that he will no longer succumb to the name......

Anyway, who can give us d origin of "hausa or Fulani" name. (Not their origin but d name "hausa"wink
FFK was wrong. I believed his assertion but now I believe differently... Yoruba is from Oyoruba which is the name for the Oyos by their trade allies the Hausa. If you notice there’s other tribes with the *Ruba* in it. Like the Baruba. I think with time all related peoples who spoke the same language were put under that canopy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 7:13am On Jul 03, 2020
baby124:

FFK was wrong. I believed his assertion but now I believe differently... Yoruba is from Oyoruba which is the name for the Oyos by their trade allies the Hausa. If you notice there’s other tribes with the *Ruba* in it. Like the Baruba. I think with time all related peoples who spoke the same language were put under that canopy.

As for me, if there's a way to denounce the hausa-fulani of the credit, I'll be happy. One Fulani lecturer once told me in skool that we're a conquered region, that they're d original Nigerians. He claimed that d name "yoruba" was given to d SW by them and the yoruba knows that. I was hurt but had to maintain my cool, though he expected something worse. The point is, the "Yoruba" should be looked into. It may be late tho. I'm not a student of history but it's crazy how these uncircumcised bigots keeps coming up with sh.i.t as this!
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by gregyboy(m): 12:41pm On Jul 03, 2020
lawani:

You love talking in myth...... What is europa... With this simple history

I read an hausa ancient book, sometime ago on the description of the name yorubas, it still fits today narrative of yorubas, in the book they describe, yorubas as weaklings, deceptive and cunny fellows, it. all started after Afonja invited the Fulanis to strengthen is army against his yoruba superiors in a cunny manner, he was later overthrown by the same fulani he sought his help from with assistance from his yoruba subjects, before he died he cursed his yoruba subjects for supporting his overthrowment, his curse was Yoruba will always be ruled over by the Fulanis till they will be completely destroyed
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by gregyboy(m): 12:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
Pharaoh4rin:

As for me, if there's a way to denounce the hausa-fulani of the credit, I'll be happy. One Fulani lecturer once told me in skool that we're a conquered region, that they're d original Nigerians. He claimed that d name "yoruba" was given to d SW by them and the yoruba knows that. I was hurt but had to maintain my cool, though he expected something worse. The point is, the "Yoruba" should be looked into. It may be late tho. I'm not a student of history but it's crazy how these uncircumcised bigots keeps coming up with sh.i.t as this!

Yoruba are thesame thing with hausa-fulani so stop denying your brothers. over here in my states. We call yorubas aboki, if we see yorubas we can't easily differentiate them from an hausa person, unless when they speak thier language, they are so dirty, with cat marks like wiskers on thier faces ,thier brown teeth,and thier color is dirty black......

When you spot an igbo man from anywhere you can easily differentiates him from an hausa man, unlike yorubas

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Yoruba are thesame thing with hausa-fulani so stop denying your brothers. over here in my states. We call yorubas aboki, if we see yorubas we can't easily differentiate from an hausa person, unless they speak thier language, they are so dirty, with cat marks like wiskers on thier face, and thier brown teeth thier black color is dirty black......

When you spot an igbo man from anywhere you can differentiates him easily from hausa and Yoruba unlike yoruba-hausa

I'm not a yoruba nor hausa-fulani. And I think I should correct ur negative impression about dirtiness. Skin color has nothing to do with dirtiness. So if u think u can connect d yoruba's dark complexion to dirtiness, u're wrong. Damn wrong. The yoruba I know, d Hausa-fulani I know, d igbos I know. So I can tell d difference.
For instance, the Kwararafas (Middle beltians) region are dark (in complexion) by nature, but they are far from dirtiness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Podakejol: 7:19pm On Jul 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Yoruba are thesame thing with hausa-fulani so stop denying your brothers. over here in my states. We call yorubas aboki, if we see yorubas we can't easily differentiate from an hausa person, unless they speak thier language, they are so dirty, with cat marks like wiskers on thier face, and thier brown teeth thier black color is dirty black......

When you spot an igbo man from anywhere you can differentiates him easily from hausa and Yoruba unlike yoruba-hausa
At least yorubas are neater than your olosho women and armed robbers all over Edo State

And remember yorubas are also nearer than your stupid smelly ugly werey Oba of Benin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by llakes4real: 8:54pm On Jul 03, 2020
What Yoruba means or doesn't mean is inconsequential! What is the meaning of English, Hausa, Fulani or Igbo?

Low self-esteem is when you allow an alien define the meaning of your name. What if I told you the meaning of your name is "a f00l"? Why would you take my definition of your name over yours? Low self-worth!

My definition of Yoruba is a group of people who live in West Africa. That is all!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Olu317(m): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2020
Pharaoh4rin:

Lol! Uncircumcised in reality . I wish you knew Yoruba history deep at that period the lecturer stated such, So that you probably make mockery of him because nothing informative is written about their exploit in West Africa.
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Olu317(m): 10:25pm On Jul 03, 2020
AreaFada2:

Hausa Fulani still deal with the SW with their original meaning at the back of their mind.
The Muslim you mentioned was aggressively established in 19th century.So, you don't have a say. May be you will exple the identity of the ethnic group that mentioned Bini as a descriptive word for angered or vexed people Thus, Yoruba names are intact
Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by gregyboy(m): 11:20pm On Jul 03, 2020
Podakejol:

At least yorubas are neater than your olosho women and armed robbers all over Edo State

And remember yorubas are also nearer than your stupid smelly ugly werey Oba of Benin

Hausa-yoruba-fulani, it fit, you all are Alimajiris and sworn brothers for life....

Lol, Let me not start with your ooni you will hate me bro

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by AreaFada2: 11:27pm On Jul 03, 2020
Olu317:
The Muslim you mentioned was aggressively established in 19th century.So, you don't have a say. May be you will exple the identity of the ethnic group that mentioned Bini as a descriptive word for angered or vexed people Thus, Yoruba names are intact

Hahahahaha! Ah welcome. You finally showed up after shying away for so long.

The matter is this: There was no single Yoruba identity until imperialist jihadists baptised SW lot as deceitful & untrustworthy people yesterday here. A name that even Egba were wise enough to reject for a long time.

Ubini, if we believe the story, was given by a Yoruba raised guy who obviously saw how fierce, no nonsense and gallant Igodo people were.

Igodo came first, Ubini used alongside it over 1300 years later. Before Ubini could establish, Edo became the common name.

Even now, a Benin (nothing like Bini even) person never says I am Ovbie Benin (Omo Benin). It's Ovbie Edo (Omo Edo). Ask anyone.

It's ethnic politicking that the new State was called Edo State. Edo geographically originally was capital city of Igbodomigodo/Benin. Bini as an ethnic name is in the use of others. Even as it was from the beginning.

Those from Edo North & Central feel better with the name Edo, since the Europeans took the name Benin Empire and popularised it worldwide.

Whereas Edo is used exclusively by Benin Edo people. A very warped logic showing how little people know their history.

It's like if people from Owu are skeptical of the name Egba State but accept Abeokuta State readily. grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

@ Olu317 I would 1 million times rather be called brave, fierce and no nonsense by anybody than be called a green snake in the green grass, deceitful or such very badly derogatory stuff.

Like FKK, I'd immediately deny such a name.

Afonja as official tribe name would be better. At least it's indigenous to SW albeit what it now connotes. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Podakejol: 11:32pm On Jul 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Hausa-yoruba-fulani, it fit, you all are Alimajiris and sworn brothers for life....

Lol, Let me not start with your ooni you will hate me bro
Shut up with your ugly oloribu Oba of Benin wey be like aboki

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by gregyboy(m): 11:45pm On Jul 03, 2020
Podakejol:

[s]Shut up with your ugly oloribu Oba of Benin wey be like aboki[/s]

Osagyfo98, would agree with me on this too

When nigeria breaks the remains of nigeria will be Hausa-yoruba-fulani coexistence, to the average fulani man yorubas are regarded as slaves lesser than the hausa man......

#weaklers
#cowards
#slaves

1 Like

Re: Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? by Podakejol: 11:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
gregyboy:

Osagyfo98, would agree with me on this too

When nigeria breaks the remains of nigeria will be Hausa-yoruba-fulani coexistence, to the average fulani man yorubas are regarded as slaves lesser than the hausa man......

#weaklers
#cowards
#slaves
Says a state raided for slaves by Ibadan warriors including your foolish weak olofo oba of benin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Beauty Of The African / 100 FACTS About Africa / The Yoruba History Of My Grandfather-by Adeleke Adeyemo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.