Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,515 members, 7,954,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:14 PM

Wenger: Arsenal Left Their Soul At Highbury - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wenger: Arsenal Left Their Soul At Highbury (288 Views)

Barcelona Squad Left Their Dressing Room Dirty After CL Win (Photos) / Tribute To Arsene Wenger, Arsenal Manager (1996-2018) / Wenger: Arsenal Must Win Europa League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wenger: Arsenal Left Their Soul At Highbury by ifeanyija(m): 1:29pm On May 09, 2020
Wenger on Highbury: "The exceptional attitude of the fans, the exceptional football games I witnessed there... it's a special place in my heart"

Arsene Wenger says Arsenal 'left their soul' at Highbury when they moved to the Emirates.

Wenger was Arsenal manager for their final decade at their old stadium, guiding them to three Premier League titles and four FA Cups between 1996 and 2006.

The Frenchman also led Arsenal for 12 years following their move to the Emirates, but could only add three further FA Cups to their collection during that time.

Wenger admits the club had to move to a bigger stadium, but misses what they left behind at Highbury.

He told beIN Sports: "You are always in a position when you are a football club to move forward or stay in the past. To compete with the other clubs, we had to build a new stadium. The rules had changed.

"We wanted to create the same as Highbury but we left our soul at Highbury. We could never recreate exactly. We didn't find exactly the same atmosphere."

Wenger's final years at Arsenal were tainted by opposition from some supporters against his management.

'Wenger Out' placards were common among the home fans at the Emirates as Arsenal struggled to compete with their rivals at the top of the Premier League.

Wenger has only fond memories for the fans who frequented Highbury, though, saying: "For me, Highbury is linked with love. Love for the period I had, the exceptional attitude of the fans, the exceptional football games I witnessed there. It's a special place in my heart.

"At the time, we were 40 people there, maximum. Today we are 600. We knew everybody. We have moved from a business family to a big company now.

"You sit on the touchline. The supporters are very close to the touchline. When you kick a corner you can shake the hand of the first supporter. That makes you all together on the pitch.

"That togetherness, that warm feeling that you get at Liverpool today, or Everton - that's what you miss."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11985597/arsene-wenger-says-arsenal-left-their-soul-at-highbury-following-emirates-move
Re: Wenger: Arsenal Left Their Soul At Highbury by wagazala: 1:57pm On May 09, 2020
Funny though, Highbury was often referred to as the Highbury Library by some due to its quietness during games. Although Fans closeness to the pitch is probably what made it feel more like home for Arsenal players.

Emirates however saw a massive influx of 'Plastic' Arsenal fans, corporate tickets, etc. The quality of support (in terms of 13th man on the pitch) was watered down for more financial growth. The beginning of the end for what once was. Now they struggle to keep the figures.

(1) (Reply)

'show Your Proof!' - Ike Shorunmu Responds To Chinedu Obasi / Top 6 Players To Score Hat Tricks Goals In Premier League / Football Will Never Be The Same Again - Lionel Messi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.