Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action (362 Views)

Questions Over Wike;s Action In Oyigbo. My Advice To Igbos / Blood Of Ndigbo On Gov. Wike“s Hands / Senators Worried Over COVID-19 Status Of 35 Colleagues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action by Confirmedzombie: 10:26pm On May 10, 2020
On the legal status and application of Executive Orders: 

In the more recent case of FAITH OKAFOR V. GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE & ANOR. (2016) LPELR-41066 (CA), the Governor of Lagos State issued a directive restricting the movement of citizens and residents during the State’s monthly environmental sanitation, the Court of Appeal unanimously held that the Appellant, Faith Okafor, could not be arrested or prosecuted for disobeying or flouting the Executive Order or Directive of the Governor of Lagos State because the Appellant could only be arrested and prosecuted for an offence that is prescribed in a written law.

In his concurring judgment, BIOBELE ABRAHAM GEORGEWILL, J.C.A. at p 46-47 declared thus:
"It is my view, that democracy thrives more on obeying and promoting the rule of law rather than the whims and caprices of the leaders against the lead. 

I find the conduct of the Respondent in not only persecuting the Appellant, yes that is what in my view amounts to when a free Citizen of this great Country such as Citizen Faith Okafor, is put through the rigours of criminal process for an offence not prescribed in any written law but merely on the directive of the Governor of the Lagos State. 

An action which if allowed to thrive in a democracy such as ours could confer on such office holders infinite, absolute and autocratic powers contrary to the clear provisions of the Constitution of the land, to which both the leaders and the led are subject. I refuse to allow such autocratic, absolute and infinite powers to fester upon our nascent democracy."

Accordingly, it is submitted that no person can be arrested or prosecuted for circumventing or violating an Executive Order.

Based on the foregoing, it can be concluded that Gov wike erred in Law even as a lawyer and married to a Judge.

1 Like

Re: The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action by NwaNimo1(m): 10:29pm On May 10, 2020
Wike dness na thug......laws cannot be applied to a tyrant!
Re: The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action by Staphylococcus: 10:39pm On May 10, 2020
Wike is only a ceremonial lawyer.

He bought his way through while in Rivers State University of Science and Technology.

If their is any degree Wike has, it should be in cultism. The only place he graduated was in Supreme Vikings Confraternity (SVC) a.k.a Omega Marine Patrol

1 Like

Re: The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action by festacman(m): 10:42pm On May 10, 2020
The sad thing is that at the end of the day, any award of monetary compensations in favour demolished hotels by a court of law will be borne by Rivers State Government and not Nyesom Wike.
Re: The Legal Status Of Gov Wike"s Action by Powerintoxicate: 10:42pm On May 10, 2020
Confirmedzombie:
On the legal status and application of Executive Orders: 

In the more recent case of FAITH OKAFOR V. GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE & ANOR. (2016) LPELR-41066 (CA), the Governor of Lagos State issued a directive restricting the movement of citizens and residents during the State’s monthly environmental sanitation, the Court of Appeal unanimously held that the Appellant, Faith Okafor, could not be arrested or prosecuted for disobeying or flouting the Executive Order or Directive of the Governor of Lagos State because the Appellant could only be arrested and prosecuted for an offence that is prescribed in a written law.

In his concurring judgment, BIOBELE ABRAHAM GEORGEWILL, J.C.A. at p 46-47 declared thus:
"It is my view, that democracy thrives more on obeying and promoting the rule of law rather than the whims and caprices of the leaders against the lead. 

I find the conduct of the Respondent in not only persecuting the Appellant, yes that is what in my view amounts to when a free Citizen of this great Country such as Citizen Faith Okafor, is put through the rigours of criminal process for an offence not prescribed in any written law but merely on the directive of the Governor of the Lagos State. 

An action which if allowed to thrive in a democracy such as ours could confer on such office holders infinite, absolute and autocratic powers contrary to the clear provisions of the Constitution of the land, to which both the leaders and the led are subject. I refuse to allow such autocratic, absolute and infinite powers to fester upon our nascent democracy."

Accordingly, it is submitted that no person can be arrested or prosecuted for circumventing or violating an Executive Order.

Based on the foregoing, it can be concluded that Gov wike erred in Law even as a lawyer and married to a Judge.
rubbish. Wike is right. You APC hooligans can shove this up your ass

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Edo Govt Threatened To Demolish Kabaka House If He Failed To Pay 18m, Hear Him / Open Letter To Governor Wike / The Legendary Of Amaechi’s@ 55 Achiever May 27, 2020.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.