Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,821 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech (29846 Views)

Boris Johnson And Girlfriend, Carrie Symonds Move Into Downing Street / Boris Johnson Will Use Armored Jaguar Sentinel As Official Car / Boris Johnson Is The New Prime Minister Of The United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Nobody: 10:31am On May 11, 2020
Work from home if you can, unless you can't, in which case definitely try to go back to work, but do not - if at all possible - take the train.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's much-anticipated statement about the UK's COVID-19 lockdown was roundly criticised on Monday, with the head of the largest police officers' union, the Police Federation, arguing that officers needed "crystal clear guidance" rather than "loose rules".

Meanwhile, the replacement of the government's "Stay at Home" message with "Stay Alert" has led to concerns that citizens will consider the crisis over.

'Mixed messages'
Police Federation in England and Wales (PFEW) Chief John Apter argued that the latest advice from the government will make it difficult for police officers to enforce the new rules.

"Policing this crisis has been tough, a lack of clarity and mixed messages has made that even harder," Apter said.

"If we fail to get clear and unambiguous guidance policing this crisis will become almost impossible."

His advice to workers on construction and manufacturing, who are unable to work from home, was chief among concerns. Trade unions, in particular, are concerned that the guidance may put undue pressure on workers to try to return to work even at the risk of their health.

This is especially true for those workers with children, given that there was no firm decision from the government on when children would go back to school.

But it wasn't just Johnson's advice on working from home that has led to confusion.

He also told Britons that the one-hour restriction on exercising outdoors was being lifted, and people could now spend "unlimited amounts" of time outdoors.

They would also be allowed to drive to public beauty spots, including beaches, and play golf and tennis, and meet a friend - but not more than one - in a park as long as they sit two metres apart.

At the same time, fines for breaking social distancing rules were to be increased.

'Vague and imprecise'
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she didn’t know what the new advice meant and has asked the UK government not to promote a “vague and imprecise” message in Scotland.

Johnson is due to answer questions in parliament on the government's lockdown strategy on Monday.

Meanwhile, Labour leader Keir Starmer said that the prime minister had failed to provide either clarity of consensus to the British people.

Source: https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/11/boris-johnson-under-fire-for-confused-lockdown-strategy-speech

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Righteousness89(m): 10:42am On May 11, 2020
Whatever you do... People would stand against you...

There is virtually nothing wrong in what Boris Said!

If you like stay at home!

If you like stay Alert!

Covid-19 will hit who it will hit!!

No one is talking about the Looming Recession and all dt!

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by NwaNimo1(m): 11:09am On May 11, 2020

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by OsuIgboIpob: 11:09am On May 11, 2020
cheesy
They should leave my guy alone o

He is a fighter

He is a war... Just like pastor idahboski grin

It is not easy to survive Corona virus.

He's among the people I'm sure that really contracted the virus. Unlike our useless politicians here.
Makinde, hell rufia etc that only contracted flu.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by handsomeyinka(m): 11:10am On May 11, 2020
Chai...

CORONA DON RESET BORIS JOHNSON BRAIN

22 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by FeliciaOja(f): 11:10am On May 11, 2020
Work from home if you can, unless you can't, in which case definitely try to go back to work, but do not - if at all possible - take the train.

1 Like

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by crestedaguiyi: 11:10am On May 11, 2020
we dont even have a president and vice let alone a strategy angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Slawormir: 11:10am On May 11, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Stay alert !

This is a new one
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Reelmii: 11:10am On May 11, 2020
coro please come and be going oooo

i just tire..

1 Like

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by paulolee(m): 11:10am On May 11, 2020
bad
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by alizma: 11:11am On May 11, 2020
Him don join the lifeless group, he will soon call buhari for expo

5 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Ijaya123: 11:11am On May 11, 2020
Covid-19 is real. Don't die through arrogant display of ignorance.

Meanwhile check out these creative campaign designs on Covid-19

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Kobicove(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
I agree with what the police chief said, without a clear pronouncement people will just exploit the law
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by sanemind2(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
Nobody is perfect

Meanwhile

Get cartoon on an Otg 3.0 flash drive 16gb or 32gb if you stay in Port Harcourt, check signature
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by xcesspaschal(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
Corona survivors are not always d same in reasoning.
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by HisSexcellency(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
Can someone who understands English, help interpret the above statement from the English Prime Minister

3 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by masciv: 11:11am On May 11, 2020
This pandemic has made a joke of so called 'World powers'. The sad thing now is that it looks like everyone's used to death that they've gone complacent and opening their countries prematurely. I hope this mindset won't be the beginning of the end. Infection and death rates compared to respective population figures doesn't seem too significant but a second wave would be an unmitigated disaster. Just imagine a country of 327 million having at least 10 million more cases and God knows how many people would succumb to the virus.
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by ojun50(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
I watch him speak yesterday, I ask the person beside if he has issues with the camera man.

2 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Starz825(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
If u want to stay at home, stay home
If u want to go out then stay alert...
C'est fini

9 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by jchioma: 11:11am On May 11, 2020
This COVID19 wahala has confused even the leaders themselves. So imagine where you have a ruler that is incompetent, clueless and mediocre like one country I know, it becomes a catastrophy. I pray that the virus is contained soon enough and that we don't enter anarchy. Melinda Gate's warning comes to mind.
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by whitelotus: 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Good for the uk.

They voted for a bumbling British Trump and now they are seeing that the emperor has no clothes.

Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Brunicekid(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Boris Johnson gave a guideline to suit different situations.

3 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by TheSourcerer: 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Fvck this I give up
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Sunisonflex39(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Abeg,my Port Harcourt brothers and sisters here. una good morning first. everybody good morning

make una help una guy,una guy na young guy wey dey hustle as per photographer. upcoming one for that matter..

Una know as wike keep us now and na daily bread I dey see chop that time.

I know things hard for everybody here, I know as e dey be,make una pardon my manners. Na beg I dey beg.

Abeg I know say God fit use one of una touch me between today and Wednesday as per say wike lift lockdown for two days say make we go restock and the lockdown go start on Thursday.. as I dey talk now, I no get shishi.palliative or waiting den dey call am, them no One gree share.

abeg Aunties and uncles, help me to get a cartoon of Noodles.. abeg

for my PH brothers, I stay along TANK road near rumukwrushi market.
abeg, you fit call me out to give me even garri, it's highly welcome.

my bank detail dey my signature.
make una no vex.
abeg
a cartoon of noodles abeg..

4 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by PureGoldh(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2020
They should free the man jare...He just aired his own view ontop the matter wey dey on board..One thing is sure,you can never please everybody no matter how good you tend to portray yourself.

Meanwhile,if you need Raw Original Honey.. kindly call/Whatsapp 081 0166 67 71 let's talk about it now..Happy New week to you all..Stay Safe fam

1 Like

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by EngrJAO: 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Ok O
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by wman(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2020
The speech was confusing.

Boris Johnson was trying to appeal to the two sides. Those for lockdown and those against lockdown.

The sad thing is that most people won't adhere to the guidelines he gave. A lot of people are tired of staying indoors, so they will go out even if they don't have to.

Also, many of them will sit near each other and violate those social distancing measures.

I just hope cases in the UK won't increase after this.
Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by whitelotus: 11:12am On May 11, 2020
Brunicekid:
Boris Johnson gave a guideline to suit different situations.

A country needs a clear strategy and not suggestions.

4 Likes

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by shegunmessi(m): 11:13am On May 11, 2020
Everyone is just tired of dis Coro of a tin sad

1 Like

Re: Boris Johnson Under Fire For 'Confused' Lockdown Strategy Speech by Houseofglam7(f): 11:13am On May 11, 2020
undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ousted Bongo Released, Granted Permission To Travel Abroad For Treatment / Las Vegas - Mandalay Bay Shooting Updates (Photos, Video) / Russia Bans New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, 129 Others From Entering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.