Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,851 members, 7,817,518 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone (1214 Views)

Any Used Phone But In Great Condition For Sale? / Five Things You Must Check Before Buying Any Cryptocurrency / Any Used Phone Of 25k-30k... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 11:37am On May 12, 2020
Hi everyone.

We all love changing phones and it's quite normal this days to see people buying and changing all sorts of phones. Yes that's the reality. Even I myself. If I try to count how many smartphones I have used now, I seriously would lose count.

So now as I stated in the topic. Most times buying a new phone, you have less to worry about. If after reading the basic specifications on the back of the carton or watching a couple of YouTube videos about the phone, you are good to go with making the purchase as long as you are satisfied with it the specs even before opening the box to reveal the phone inside.

Puskin
Dragnet
Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 11:45am On May 12, 2020
Used phones are categorised into three.

1. Fairly used (London). Which generally means it's fairly used from overseas as it's never had a fault, just the previous owner decided to sell it

2. Refurbished London used phones. This are phones with defects which were sent back to the manufacturer, this phones get repaired and sold back at cheaper price than new. A refurbished phone wil have one or more of its hardware repaired or changed. I.e charging port. E.t.c

3. Nigerian used phones. Our normal phones we used here and owner decide to resale for whatever reason be it

2 Likes

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 11:45am On May 12, 2020
Keep following. I will be updating
Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:01pm On May 12, 2020
So like I mentioned above, it really doesn't matter which of the used phones above, all used phones should be carefully inspected before buying, this way is the safest way.

Now this is a complete guide on how to inspect any used phone.
I have used this method for more than 5 years, if you have bought Used phones like Lg G series, Google pixels, Motorola droid turbo, and Samsung galaxy S series. You would have some idea about what am saying

1 Like

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:03pm On May 12, 2020
NO 1

Check the screen.
Go to a shade or dark area. Don't stay directly under sunlight as this will compromise the process of inspection.

When u are in a dark area, set the phone brightness to MAXIMUM. Go to any app that utilizes the keyboard and type anything randomly and erase it. Open an app like a notes app. Use the keyboard for like 3 minutes.

Minimize the app and then open another app with plain white background i.e drive, or Chrome browser or any app with white background.

U need to take your time and look carefully at the screen, check to see if you see shadow or an overlay of your previous app. That is, you will see the overlay from the keyboard you previously used now showing on the chrome app without opening your keyboard.
If this happens, that means, the screen is bad or it was replaced before with a poor quality screen, if you buy this phone, you won't have good experience

2 Likes

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:14pm On May 12, 2020
NO 2

CHECK THE SCREEN AGAIN. LOL

OK the second screen inspection is more of a hardware inspection. This time, what you are looking for, is any under lapping issues.
What I mean is that, when ever u are buying a used phone, and the screen has been changed, if it is poorly done, the glue used to set the new screen back to place will be so bad that the screen doesn't lap just like how it should be from the factory.

When inspecting just turn the phone at an angle whereby you can easily view the perimeter surrounding the phone screen, this is usually called the bezels of the phone. (Have u used an lg G2 before, then u have an idea).

Check the bezels of the phone the easiest way to know if the bezels are not lapping properly due to bad repair is to also go into a very dark area, set the brightness to MAXIMUM, now looking at the phone at an angle again, just carefully take your time, This is the important part check to see if light is shining out through that area

3 Likes

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:23pm On May 12, 2020
NO 3

ANOTHER SCREEN INSPECTION.

Ok we have all used a calculator right?
What happens when u press the display of a calculator...... Yep you have a sort of ink moving randomly around the area pressed. If you understand this, then u are good to go.

The same applies with phone screen, when a poor quality screen is used on a phone it really can't be as good as the new one. When using the phone, press just a little bit on the screen to see if it mimicks a calculator display by flooding ink around the area.
(I call it ink but I don't really know the true name sorry, someone should help me with its actual terminology)

The important part
Look am not saying u should be pressing the screen like it's a button that will end the world covid 19 pandemic.

Just press lightly a bit more than u would usually press while typing. Kinda assume there is a mosquito on your phone screen and u want to press it to death.

If the screen behaves like a calculator screen. Just leave that phone

1 Like

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:30pm On May 12, 2020
NO 4

OVERHEATING TEST

To quickly now if the phone over heats, open many apps as quick as possible, if you can, open all the apps and minimize from one to another, the last app you should open is the camera app.

VERY IMPORTANT
Begin video recording, record a video for not less than 2 minutes while many apps are running in background, now if the phone has a pouch take off the pouch and feel the back of the phone by putting it on your cheek. If that thing is hot, that's a sign of a very bad phone. Unusual overheating of phones can be as a result of a damaged battery or bad screen or a malfunctioning IC board.

(All phones will heat up, after very long constant usage. but its nothing compared to phones with issues.)

2 Likes

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:38pm On May 12, 2020
NO 5

Screen functionality/sensitivity

Open any note app on the phone

Type very quickly as you can, Type
"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

it's best you type it three times.

Now check what you typed to see if it's correct.

The reason for typing that sentence is because it contains all the alphabets and this way, you will know if some part of the screen is malfunctioning or insensitive.
(TRY TO DISABLE AUTO CORRECT BEFORE TYPING THIS AND TYPE IT ALL USING THE KEYBOARD WITHOUT USING AUTO SUGGEST NEXT WORD FEATURE ABOVE THE KEYBOARD)

2 Likes

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:50pm On May 12, 2020
NO 6

Charging test

So you want to buy a used phone, you won't even test it if it charges or not, angry

Just connect an original charger and wait for it to charge up will u time it. This is how you do it

I.e phone before connecting to power was 49%.
Afteru connect it, wait till it's 50%. Then time it from 50% to 52%. How long did it take to climb into that two percent. It should take an average of 1 to 2 minutes. Now some key factors like battery capacity and the phones charging ability, and the type of charger used will have a great effect on the charging characteristics. Generally a good phone would charge pretty fast.
But most phones this days would charge fast due to quick charge technology.
However any phone that charges extremely slow is could be a faulty phone

1 Like

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by XploraBen(m): 3:20pm On May 12, 2020
Good tips.

1 Like

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 3:58pm On May 12, 2020
Thanks wink

XploraBen:
Good tips.
Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Onyeka90210(m): 5:06pm On May 12, 2020
Bruh phone checks are wider than this
You didn’t even include sound test
Mic speaker and headsets
You didn’t even talk about testing sim port
Nawa oh
The List is long
But you tried still
Sound should be the most important test, before you buy deaf and dumb phone

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by emmyboy162(m): 5:52pm On May 12, 2020
*Saves page*
Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 6:34pm On May 12, 2020
Very true. Thanks for the added tips
Onyeka90210:
Bruh phone checks are wider than this You didn’t even include sound test Mic speaker and headsets You didn’t even talk about testing sim port Nawa oh The List is long But you tried still Sound should be the most important test, before you buy deaf and dumb phone
Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by falcon01: 9:58pm On May 12, 2020
Funny how this only samsung comes to mind while reading this.

1 Like

Re: How To Not Get Ripped Off When Buying Any Used Phone by Trades07: 12:47pm On May 13, 2020
Check for screen burn. (Yellowish tint on the screen)

(1) (Reply)

Huawei Overtakes Samsung, Apple And Others, Becomes Top Smartphone Vendor. / Asus Zenbook 14 Review - Small And Mighty: But No Be Beans / Huawei To Unveil First Harmonyos-powered Smartphone In 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.