Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 (475 Views)

Loss Of Sense Of Smell And Taste / Who Else Has Lost Sense Of Smell And Taste? / Your Vagina Should Smell And If Your Man Doesn't Like It DUMP Him, Gynecologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On May 14, 2020
By Tina Hesman Saey
MAY 11, 2020 AT 4:55 PM

A loss of smell and taste may be one of the clearest indicators of whether someone has COVID-19, a new study suggests.

Researchers gleaned the information from nearly 2.5 million people in the United Kingdom and about 170,000 people in the United States who entered whether they were feeling well or experiencing symptoms into a smartphone app from March 24 to April 21.

Some of the app users also reported results of PCR diagnostic tests for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19 (SN: 3/6/20). Nearly 65 percent of roughly 6,400 U.K. residents who tested positive for the virus described a loss of taste and smell as a symptom, researchers report May 11 in Nature Medicine. And just over 67 percent of the 726 U.S. participants with a positive test also reported losing those senses. Only about 20 percent of all people who tested negative had diminished smell and taste.

Using data from the app, a team of scientists led by clinical researchers Claire Steves and Tim Spector, both of King’s College London, devised a formula for determining which symptoms best predict COVID-19. A combination of loss of taste and smell, extreme fatigue, cough and loss of appetite was the best predictor of having a positive result from the PCR test, the team found. Based on those symptoms, the researchers estimate that more than 140,000 of the more than 800,000 app users who reported symptoms probably have COVID-19.

The World Health Organization lists loss of taste and smell as a less common COVID-19 symptom. But the new findings suggest that it should be added to the list of top symptoms used to screen people for the disease, the researchers say.

READ ON ....
CITATIONS
C. Menni et al. Real-time tracking of self-reported symptoms to predict potential COVID-19. Nature Medicine. Published online May 11, 2020. doi: 10.1038/s41591-020-0916-2.
Re: Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 by baralatie(m): 12:52am On May 14, 2020
it is actually a sure sign of covid 19
Re: Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 by Kobojunkie: 2:24am On May 14, 2020
According to study done on thousands, it is good sign that you may want to go get tested. So, if you have loss of taste or smell, don't automagically assume you have malaria or typhoid fever. Err on the sign of caution by getting yourself tested for COVID-19, at least to rule it out. Go get tested and help save lives.
Re: Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 by Kobojunkie: 4:58am On May 15, 2020
PLease go get tested so as to help Nigeria better compile a more accurate picture of the spread of this virus, as well as provide data pivotal in the building of a better healthcare system.
Re: Loss Of Smell And Taste May Actually Be One Of The Clearest Signs Of COVID-19 by Kobojunkie: 5:48pm On May 15, 2020
Nairamotive:
I lost my sense of smell and taste too just 2 days ago.
It started after a mild catarrh, slight headache n fever.
I have taken Amoxil and paracetamol.
The fever and headache has gone but still can't smell even when my nose is free
I have inhaled vapor from a boiling water,
I regained it and lost it again later.

Any suggestions?

Go get tested please. If it is the one contribution you are able to make to better your communities and lives even during this pandemic, please do it and do it safely. From my understanding, the test is at no cost to you, so what have you got to loose?

(1) (Reply)

Trouble! Madagascar President Threatens To Quit Who: Ait Boss Dokpesi Expose Ncd / Japan Uses ‘deep UV Light’ To Reduce Coronavirus Potency By 99.9% / Enjoy Longer Sex. Kill ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION Before It Ruins Your Sex Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.