Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,515 members, 7,954,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:07 PM

Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? (3879 Views)

Please Why Are The Urhobos Always Laying Claim Of Owning Warri An Itsekiri Land / Meet The Anibeze People Of Bayelsa State, The Isoko Tribe Found In Bayelsa / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by Igboid: 12:16am On May 16, 2020
darfay:

What you should doubt is the 2006 census. My local government was third most populous now we are in 9th place and yet you don't see me complaining

Those are numbers of registered voters in Delta State and by 2023 the urhobo would have grown marginally higher than Anioma again

The figures are those of people with electoral power in Delta state and 47% of them are in urhobo and isoko land without even adding warri south. Just give it up
There are sizeable number of Isoko people in ndokwa East

Isoko in Ndokwa East are traditional migrants(tenants) there, and would have to assimilate into the culture of their host, if they want to continue living in peace there. After all, the Igbide in Isoko who were originally Igbos had fully assimilated as Isokos and there are many other towns like that, including Orogun who are now bilingual in Urhobo and Ukwuani.

The figures are not adding up.
I don't believe Urhobos outnumber Anioma by that much.
I would rather believe there was poor voters registration in Anioma which should be tackled by stakeholders there.
Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by darfay: 2:03pm On May 16, 2020
Igboid:

Isoko in Ndokwa East are traditional migrants(tenants) there, and would have to assimilate into the culture of their host, if they want to continue living in peace there. After all, the Igbide in Isoko who were originally Igbos had fully assimilated as Isokos and there are many other towns like that, including Orogun who are now bilingual in Urhobo and Ukwuani.

I would rather believe there was poor voters registration in Anioma which should be tackled by stakeholders there.

I don't know what you mean by tenants and assimilation. The second largest ward there is completely isoko speaking with Isoko speakers here and there in others. It seems you don't understand the direction of assimilation when villages with Igbo/ukwani/ukwale names like umuti and okafor are Isoko speaking. Very recent migration into asaba ase and it's now billingual with more isoko speakers. Infact a sizeable amount of ase ukwani clan are billinguals and these aren't the people I was referring to.

Whether you like it or not those are the registered voters in Delta State and we don't register almajiri/underage like the north. Rural areas might have seen low turnouts but urhobo and isoko areas have rural and riverine areas too.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by UGBE634: 12:20am On Apr 12, 2021
Efewestern:

G.M sir.

Okpe is a dialect of Urhobo and to some extent it is mutually intelligible , most Uvwie speakers easily understand okpe, but It is somehow complex for central Urhobo speakers.

Majority of okpe indigenes speak both the general Urhobo dialect and the Okpe dialect, Some okpe towns like Oha, Orerokpe, Osubi, Sapele etc speak the general Urhobo dialect, but core Okpe towns like Ughoton, Jeddo, Ugbokodo etc speak the core Okpe dialect, every town in Delta state speak pidgin.
which Ughoton are you talking about
Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by Efewestern: 7:38am On Apr 12, 2021
UGBE634:
which Ughoton are you talking about

Ughoton in Delta State, a town before Omadino
Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by Armaggedon: 8:31am On Apr 12, 2021
darfay:

I don't know what you mean by tenants and assimilation. The second largest ward there is completely isoko speaking with Isoko speakers here and there in others. It seems you don't understand the direction of assimilation when villages with Igbo/ukwani/ukwale names like umuti and okafor are Isoko speaking. Very recent migration into asaba ase and it's now billingual with more isoko speakers. Infact a sizeable amount of ase ukwani clan are billinguals and these aren't the people I was referring to.

Whether you like it or not those are the registered voters in Delta State and we don't register almajiri/underage like the north. Rural areas might have seen low turnouts but urhobo and isoko areas have rural and riverine areas too.
Drunken clown. and you forgot the Igbo speakers in isoko? Do you know the number of Igbo's in warri, from Delta north and SE? well, feel good it's allowed.
Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by UGBE634: 10:19am On Apr 12, 2021
Efewestern:

Ughoton in Delta State, a town before Omadino
Okay
Re: Are The Okpe People Of Delta State Urhobos? by isokomarine: 12:30pm On Jul 09, 2021
Igboid:

you should learn to talk to us with respect. Ukwuani are minority in ndokwa East

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn English And Hausa Language / Ibalu Mmaonwu By Chief Micheal Udegbi.. Who understands the message... / Check Out Our 36 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.