Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

An Oyo Successor State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Oyo Successor State. (2199 Views)

Meet An Oyo Prince Contesting For The Position Of Alaafin / ‘Two Kings Can’t Sit In A Palace’, Battle Between Late Olubadan & His Successor / Was There Really An Oyo Empire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Oyo Successor State. by lawani: 11:12pm On May 14, 2020
It is high time the Yoruba and allies in West Africa create an Oyo successor state and leave Nigeria which is a failed state already. Nigeria is a successor of the British empire and it has outlived its usefulness. Yoruba and allies like Fon, Bariba and others in Benin republic and Togo should be in one country, an Oyo successor. If west Germany and east Germany can reunite after decades to form a new Germany, then nothing should stop the Yoruba and allies to reunite in a post colonial era. West Africa should be restructurëd to reflect pre colonial realities. Ibadan succeeded Oyo and reunited the Yoruba for a while before the kiriji civil war broke out which was ended by the British.

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 11:44pm On May 14, 2020
lawani:
It is high time the Yoruba and allies in West Africa create an Oyo successor state and leave Nigeria which is a failed state already. Nigeria is a successor of the British empire and it has outlived its usefulness. Yoruba and allies like Fon, Bariba and others in Benin republic and Togo should be in one country, an Oyo successor. If west Germany and east Germany can reunite after decades to form a new Germany, then nothing should stop the Yoruba and allies to reunite in a post colonial era. West Africa should be restructurëd to reflect pre colonial realities.

Oyo was never an empire stop dreaming, an imaginary empire that was probably made up from the dream of a Yoruba man and was written in a book to bring it into life is it that what you call an empire

Maybe an empire of dream.... Spit

2 Likes

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by Dartilo(m): 6:56am On May 15, 2020
apart from yoruba scholars who else acknowledge oyo d empire status...

Spit imaginary empire

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:28am On May 15, 2020
Dartilo:
apart from yoruba scholars who else acknowledge oyo d empire status...

Spit imaginary empire

Western scholars with interest in African history, that's who.

Why do you people like to pretend that we don't have evidence of Oyo conquering and exerting tribute from non-Yoruba groups in modern Benin Republic and parts of Togo?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 7:41am On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Why do you people like to pretend that we don't have evidence of Oyo conquering and exerting tribute from non-Yoruba groups in modern Benin Republic and parts of Togo?

Bring prove to this

Did they install thier king in this various imagined country, did they leave any cultural influence to this people in this country

If not it was not conquering it was probably just a war between both party

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:58am On May 15, 2020
gregyboy:

Bring prove to this

Did they install thier king in this various imagined country, did they leave any cultural influence to this people in this country

If not it was not conquering it was probably just a war between both party

Please, find the "History of Dahomy" written by Archibald Dalzel in the 18th century. Also find and read "Sources of Oyo history" by Robin Law. Professor Robin Law has in fact done splendid work on the Oyo, and his doctoral dissertation was on Oyo.

Find and read these books and papers. I cannot be running around fetching references for things that should be well known to people who genuinely are interested in African history.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 8:31am On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Please, find the "History of Dahomy" written by Archibald Dalzel in the 18th century. Also find and read "Sources of Oyo history" by Robin Law. Professor Robin Law has in fact done splendid work on the Oyo, and his doctoral dissertation was on Oyo.

Find and read these books and papers. I cannot be running around fetching references for things that should be well known to people who genuinely are interested in African history.

Genuinely you say, i have books ascertaining the other yorubas were never influenced or paid tribute to oyo at any point in time
Robin law was just reproducing what he was told as oral history, it is a simple analogy thats calls for no difficult in reasoning
Oyo had a clash with the female warriors in dahomey and they lost, the male warriors in oyo where ashamed. they were defeated by females so years later the oyo regrouped, and fought the dahomey female warriors again. and this time it was a tie both party left home seeing no one winning.....

But the issue of paying tribute wtf that was a big lie, the only people who paid tribute to the imagined yorubas if it was even true, were the yorubas who migrated to dahomey during war and slave hunt

2 Likes

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by lawani: 9:31am On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

in the 18th century oyo became the strongest power in West Africa when they overthrew the Asante king. Oyo extracted tribute from almost all Yoruba speaking people at one time or the other. Oyo was vast and powerful. The Calvary was the long arm of the empire. I wonder how people can claim interest in West African history and refuse to acknowledge oyo. Very shameful indeed. I

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 9:46am On May 15, 2020
lawani:
in the 18th century oyo became the strongest power in West Africa when they overthrew the Asante king. Oyo extracted tribute from almost all Yoruba speaking people at one time or the other. Oyo was vast and powerful. The Calvary was the long arm of the empire. I wonder how people can claim interest in West African history and refuse to acknowledge oyo. Very shameful indeed. I

Lie

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by AjaanaOka(m): 11:20am On May 15, 2020
lawani:

"Overthrow" is an inaccurate way of putting it. Asante was worsted in a war that may or may not have been fought with the Oyo. [The sources are not very clear on whether the war was with Dahomey or Oyo or with Dahomey with Oyo military aid.]

Plus the war didn't lead to an overthrow of the Asantehene. It only foiled his attempt to extend his imperium into the Western Yoruba area. The Asantehene remained a very powerful ruler, so "overthrow" is not true.

But it is fairly reasonable to say Oyo was the strongest West African state in the 18th century, after the disappearance of the great empires of the western Sudan, and after a series of internecine conflicts had weakened Benin.

3 Likes

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 11:59am On May 15, 2020
gregyboy:

But the issue of paying tribute wtf that was a big lie, the only people who paid tribute to the imagined yorubas if it was even true, were the yorubas who migrated to dahomey during war and slave hunt

**sigh**

Mehn, all you had to do was read the book by Dalzel that I suggested. Dalzel was a European slave trader who lived in Dahomey in the 18th century during Oyo's ascendancy. So what he wrote of Oyo-Dahomey relations was not hearsay. But since you won't go and read and want to be spoonfed, let me once again spoonfeed you. But at some point, you have to learn to do this research by yourself, gregyboy. undecided

Screenshots from Dalzel's book.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:03pm On May 15, 2020
From Dalzel's 18th century book. This describes the time when a King of Dahomy died and the ambassadors of the Alaafin of Oyo used that time to increase the tribute that Dahomey was supposed to pay. The new King had no option than to pay. The Oyo cavalry was not something to play with. Even Dahomey with all her martial fame knew not to mess with Oyo.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:09pm On May 15, 2020
From Dalzel's book. Corals were a very prized possession. This is from the time when the King of Dahomey had corals, but hid the knowledge from the Alaafin, lest the Alaafin of Oyo added corals to the tribute. The Alaafin eventually found out and of course demanded corals be added to the tribute. In the words of the Alaafin: "Dahomey belonged to Eyeo [Oyo]"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:10pm On May 15, 2020
These are just a few random screenshots from an 18th century account by someone who was on the ground. Now tell me again how Dahomey never paid tribute to Oyo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 12:37pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

**sigh**

Mehn, all you had to do was read the book by Dalzel that I suggested. Dalzel was a European slave trader who lived in Dahomey in the 18th century during Oyo's ascendancy. So what he wrote of Oyo-Dahomey relations was not hearsay. But since you won't go and read and want to be spoonfed, let me once again spoonfeed you. But at some point, you have to learn to do this research by yourself, gregyboy. undecided

Screenshots from Dalzel's book.

The article looking more like a dump site for rubbish, seriously i wont site this article for you.... What kind of article is this, is it English they are writing abi Spanish.....

Wtf bring the source from a dahomey website you dont need to go far to site a Moran
Re: An Oyo Successor State. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:58pm On May 15, 2020
gregyboy:

The article looking more like a dump site for rubbish, seriously i wont site this article for you.... What kind of article is this, is it English they are writing abi Spanish.....

Wtf bring the source from a dahomey website you dont need to go far to site a Moran

Gregyboy. You're not very smart. Also you're not a scholar. That much is evident from this comment of yours.

First of all, the book I've shown you is titled "The History of Dahomy" by Archibald Dalzel and it was written in 1793. Every scholar and academic on the history of the Aja states (Dahomey, Whydah, Allada, etc) and the Western Yoruba (Ketu, etc) and the Oyo knows about this book. I'm not surprised you don't know it and think it's a "dump site for rubbish", since you're neither a scholar nor an academic but a social media troll. grin

If you're having difficulty with the grammar and the orthography, it is because it was written using the English and orthography prevalent in the 18th century, when 's' was written to look like 'f'.

If you're serious about history, you need to give social media trolling a rest and put in some work in familiarizing yourself with the existing literature of each era, so that ordinary 18th century English will not look Spanish to you. smiley

I also know that this comment is your attempt to deflect from evidence you can't refute. I know. You know. We know. wink

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 1:08pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Gregyboy. You're not very smart. Also you're not a scholar. That much is evident from this comment of yours.

First of all, the book I've shown you is titled "The History of Dahomy" by Archibald Dalzel and it was written in 1793. Every scholar and academic on the history of the Aja states (Dahomey, Whydah, Allada, etc) and the Western Yoruba (Ketu, etc) and the Oyo knows about this book. I'm not surprised you don't know it and think it's a "dump site for rubbish", since you're neither a scholar nor an academic but a social media troll. grin

If you're having difficulty with the grammar and the orthography, it is because it was written using the English and orthography prevalent in the 18th century, when 's' was written to look like 'f'.

If you're serious about history, you need to give social media trolling a rest and put in some work in familiarizing yourself with the existing literature of each era, so that ordinary 18th century English will not look Spanish to you. smiley

I also know that this comment is your attempt to deflect from evidence you can't refute. I know. You know. We know. wink

Lol, nice i bet the yorubas cant defend themselves like this...... They would be pushed to insult..... When they are hooked

Ok they also claimed thier rule extended to Ghana and togo how true is this too
Re: An Oyo Successor State. by lawani: 2:11pm On May 15, 2020
AjaanaOka:

"Overthrow" is an inaccurate way of putting it. Asante was worsted in a war that may or may not have been fought with the Oyo. [The sources are not very clear on whether the war was with Dahomey or Oyo or with Dahomey with Oyo military aid.]

Plus the war didn't lead to an overthrow of the Asantehene. It only foiled his attempt to extend his imperium into the Western Yoruba area. The Asantehene remained a very powerful ruler, so "overthrow" is not true.

But it is fairly reasonable to say Oyo was the strongest West African state in the 18th century, after the disappearance of the great empires of the western Sudan, and after a series of internecine conflicts had weakened Benin.
the king of Asante was removed as a result of the war.
Re: An Oyo Successor State. by geosegun(m): 6:49pm On May 15, 2020
RedboneSmith:

@gregyboy is a full time stubborn troll who was not ready to learn. Please don't waste your time responding to his meaningless arguments. He is a time and energy waster. He has showcased his ignorance in many instances. Please forgive and ignore him. he doesn't worth all the attention. At least for now. cheesy
For the records again and again- Oyo is an empire far greater in influence and affluent than the small Benin (Ile Ibinu) Kingdom that the Yoruba named, and helped civilized during pre-18th century.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by TAO12: 11:00pm On May 17, 2020
Ají ṣebí Ọ̀yọ́ l'àá rí, Ọ̀yọ́ òní ṣebí baba ẹnì kan!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by YungMillionaire: 2:27am On May 18, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, nice i bet the yorubas cant defend themselves like this...... They would be pushed to insult..... When they are hooked
Ok they also claimed thier rule extended to Ghana and togo how true is this too

I am not even Yoruba but you are big idiot. Even a primary school pupil knows of Oyo Empire. I don't blame the Yorubas for ignoring you. I would also ignore a complete slowpoke instead of going back and forth. Go and read a book and stop disgracing Benin in this forum. Idiot.

3 Likes

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by davidnazee: 4:07am On May 18, 2020
geosegun:

@gregyboy is a full time stubborn troll who was not ready to learn. Please don't waste your time responding to his meaningless arguments. He is a time and energy waster. He has showcased his ignorance in many instances. Please forgive and ignore him. he doesn't worth all the attention. At least for now. cheesy
For the records again and again- Oyo is an empire far greater in influence and affluent than the small Benin (Ile Ibinu) Kingdom that the Yoruba named, and helped civilized during pre-18th century.

Please just focus on and celebrate your Oyo and don’t start another foolish comparison.

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by davidnazee: 4:11am On May 18, 2020
TAO12:
Ají ṣebí Ọ̀yọ́ l'àá rí, Ọ̀yọ́ òní ṣebí baba ení kan!

Hooray!! You finally found an article about a Yoruba Kingdom that is narrated in 2 pages.. unlike ur usual one sentence description grin

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by davidnazee: 4:11am On May 18, 2020
YungMillionaire:

I am not even Yoruba but you are big idiot. Even a primary school pupil knows of Oyo Empire. I don't blame the Yorubas for ignoring you. I would also ignore a complete slowpoke instead of going back and forth. Go and read a book and stop disgracing Benin in this forum. Idiot.

Yoruba man calm down.
A primary school student will probably also know of whatever Kingdom you are from no matter how small.

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by TAO12: 4:18am On May 18, 2020
davidnazee:

Hooray!! You finally found an article about a Yoruba Kingdom that is narrated in 2 pages.. unlike ur usual one sentence description grin

That's not an article, dummy!

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by TAO12: 5:57am On May 18, 2020
Some interesting and fun facts about The Great Oyo Empire and the rich Yoruba culture and civilization in general.

cc: lawani, RedboneSmith, geosegun, YungMillionaire

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by TAO12: 5:58am On May 18, 2020
One more!

1 Share

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by gregyboy(m): 7:28am On May 18, 2020
YungMillionaire:

You're not yoruba wetin concern you for this thread....
Re: An Oyo Successor State. by davidnazee: 11:39am On May 18, 2020
TAO12:

That's not an article, dummy!

Whatever it is but it’s not your usual one sentence you always used for little and unknown Ife. At least you realized it’s better to promote and tout Oyo than small Ife.
I’m happy for u.

1 Like

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by TAO12: 11:42am On May 18, 2020
davidnazee:

Whatever it is but it’s not your usual one sentence you always used for little and unknown Ife. At least you realized it’s better to promote and tout Oyo than small Ife.
I’m happy for u.

Thanks for admitting being a dummy. grin

Now, look at the title of the post again and run along.

2 Likes

Re: An Oyo Successor State. by davidnazee: 11:45am On May 18, 2020
TAO12:

Thanks for admitting being a dummy. grin

Now, look at the title of the post again and run along.

What post lol.
I’m not interested in your Kingdom.. just passing through..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

East Africa Vs West Africa / What's Your Favorite Flavor Of Chocolate Man Cake? / The Nigerian Culture Of Begging

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.