Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,221 members, 7,836,066 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu (723 Views)

Man Who Dumped University Certificate To Start Farming, Wows With His Harvest / Low Investment In Exploration By Oil Companies. / Exposed! The EFCC Investigative Report That Sent Kachikwu Packing From NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Alarinka1: 9:47am On May 15, 2020
The former Minister of State for Petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu, has stated that the oil and gas industry has its disadvantages as it distracts Nigerians who are looking for quick oil money. He said the COVID-19 impact on the oil industry has given Nigeria time to refocus as there's a need to get people back to the farm.

According to Kachikwu, Agriculture should be one of the focal points of Nigeria and President Muhammad Buhari is already investing in the agriculture sector. He made this known while addressing the level of impact coronavirus has on the oil industry. Kachikwu stated that the long duration before the eradication of COVID-19 gives the country more time to refocus its attention.

"What this does for us, if we use the time well, is that it will help us intensely refocus our attention to other sectors apart from the petroleum sector, and invest massively in mechanized agriculture, services, tourism, etc. The oil and gas sector has its disadvantages too. It is creating a lot of pollution, shutting down a lot of farms and sometimes distracting young people from careers, because everyone wants a quick oil return.

"Agriculture should be one of the focal points of this country because we have massive landmass. President Buhari has intensely refocused Government investment attention on agriculture and infrastructure. We need to get people back to farms. We need to.... https://allnews.ng/news/nigerians-need-to-start-farming-and-not-be-distracted-by-oil-money-ex-petroleum-minister-kachikwu

Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by SLAP44: 9:49am On May 15, 2020
E Don happen!
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Officialgarri: 9:49am On May 15, 2020
I want real facts not lies. Can Agriculture really sustain this country?

In my own opinion, I don't think Agriculture, Mining, science and technology —all combined — can give 50% of what oil can give.
I'm not in anyway suggesting that we ditch the idea of diversification, Perhaps, I'll be stupid to say that, but I'm actually referring to those who say we should forget about Oil and focus on other sources.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Davash222(m): 9:51am On May 15, 2020
Officialgarri:
The truth is, Agriculture is not what it used to be. The Northerners are trooping to the South to ride bike, no one is interested in farming again.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by SLAP44: 9:53am On May 15, 2020
Alarinka1:

"Agriculture should be one of the focal points of this country because we have massive landmass. President Buhari has intensely refocused Government investment attention on agriculture and infrastructure. We need to get people back to farms.

Oga calm down, your president has been investing in herdsmen invading farms to eat up crops of innocent farmers who has suffered to cultivate their lands. That's the only kind of agricultural investment he understands.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by SLAP44: 9:55am On May 15, 2020
Officialgarri:

In my own opinion, I don't think Agriculture, Mining, science and technology —all combined — can give 50% of what oil can give

That's why I shouldn't be sharing the same country with people of low mentality like you who believe only oil can help their lives. We need balkanization of this contraption first.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Officialgarri: 9:56am On May 15, 2020
SLAP44:

That's why I shouldn't be sharing the same country with people of low mentality like you who believe only oil can help their lives. We need balkanization of this contraption first.
You know sometimes, you need to face facts and realities rather than being myopic and making assertions from mere hear says and shallow thinking
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by SLAP44: 9:58am On May 15, 2020
Officialgarri:

You know sometimes, you need to face facts and realities rather than being myopic and making assertions from mere hear says and shallow thinking

I think you really need to upgrade your education and exposure to understand the workings of the world, stop being myopic in your thinking. Spread your wings and fly.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by PositiveDirect: 10:07am On May 15, 2020
The dawn is here.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Officialgarri: 10:07am On May 15, 2020
Davash222:

The truth is, Agriculture is not what it used to be. The Northerners are trooping to the South to ride bike, no one is interested in farming again.
No doubt, Agriculture is crippling. Days of cocoa, palm oil, cassava e.t.c but majorly Cocoa.

Mind you, Nigeria faced oil completely in the 70s, and it was until then that Yakubu Gowon, confidently declared that "Nigeria now has more money than know what to do with it ".
Initially, we faced Agriculture and managed to feed a population of only 55.98million people.

Today we are about 206million and I do not think Agriculture can give what Oil can give to that population.

It can only be there to support. And that's a good idea
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by Victornezzar: 10:16am On May 15, 2020
Can they provide the basic necessities for Farming?? angry angry
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by ojun50(m): 10:32am On May 15, 2020
Presently and moving Forward Nigerian can't depend on agriculture right now with the kind of population we have now.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:33am On May 15, 2020
Officialgarri:

No doubt, Agriculture is crippling. Days of cocoa, palm oil, cassava e.t.c but majorly Cocoa.

Mind you, Nigeria faced oil completely in the 70s, and it was until then that Yakubu Gowon, confidently declared that "Nigeria now has more money than know what to do with it ".
Initially, we faced Agriculture and managed to feed a population of only 55.98million people.

Today we are about 206million and I do not think Agriculture can give what Oil can give to that population.

It can only be there to support. And that's a good idea
The type of agriculture they even refer to is subsistence agriculture which will lead to drastic poverty. No wonder it's forecasted that 40 percent of the World's poorest will be Nigerians by 2040. Agriculture is good but leaving oil to focus on only that will just lead to another mono unproductive economy. The best thing is to diversify the economy across various sectors. ICT, mining, agriculture, manufacturing and also improve our services sector. We have everything it takes to be an ICT hub tomorrow if the government really wants to invest in education but then Nigeria is ruled by morons and will only get worse. Nigeria of the future will be a useless massive sea of poverty, insecurity and hopelessness.
Re: Nigerians Need To Start Farming, Not Be Distracted By Oil Money - Ibe Kachikwu by imhere: 10:39am On May 15, 2020
Nothing but the truth

(1) (Reply)

Infrared Thermometer For Sale!!! / Trucking Business / Best Paypal Exchanger In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.