Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners (19686 Views)

APC Withdrew From Presidential Debate To Save Buhari From Shame — Okupe / Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate / Presidential Debate Timetable Confirmed, Debate Dates Are Feb 1 and Feb 8! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Jarus(m): 6:57pm On Jan 14, 2011
Dear NL Political Pundits,

After months of fierce battle among the various supporters of different presidential aspirants, the candidates have now been known.
Since we cannot get the presidential candidates to come and argue their case here, we are inviting their staunch supporters and campaigners on NL here to come and make case for their candidates.

Tell us why you think we should vote for your candidate. You are also free to tell us why another candidate(s) should not be voted for.

Tell us about the antecedents, past programmes/ideologies, current manifestoes of your candidate. You are also free to discuss about their personalities.

Please no name-calling, no insults, let's be civil. 

All insultive posts will be deleted, and poster risks ban.

I have the pleasure to invite to the stage the following Nairalanders as Team Lead for their respective candidates:

1, DR GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN  - BEAF
2, MALLAM NUHU RIBADU - GBAWE
3, GEN. MUHAMMADU BUHARI - SAFARI_SA

While these people are being given lead role in this debate, other members are also free to argue in favour of their candidates or against other candidates.

Let's go
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 14, 2011
ROTFLMAO

This should be interesting. . .
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 7:34pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Jarus, I don't think it would be fair to have me as team lead for the Buhari team. For one, I don't really believe 'in' him, nor do I trust he will not turn out to be just as bad as the others we have had. I only believe that he is the best hand we have, at this time, to play in this poker game of politics.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Jarus(m): 8:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
Ok. I'm giving Gen Buhari the lead role for Buhari.
Thanks.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Gbawe: 8:15pm On Jan 14, 2011
Thanks Jarus. Let me add that all fans of the respective candidates must contribute their own opinion as it will stimulate robust debate.

Nigeria is synonymous with Corruption . Now, Nigeria is corruption and corruption is Nigeria . Yes , many predicate their choice of Ribadu on his ability to fight corruption because an appreciable reduction of corruption , at all levels, is a fundamental , more productive and automatically more efficient way to ensure Nigeria makes progress since all the grandly concieved and most well-intentioned plans will , no doubt , be derailed if corruption is allowed to remain as pervasive and all-encompassing as it is under Jonathan's Government . This credentials of being able to fight corruption , even as it is only one of many laudable innate abilities of Ribadu, cannot be overstated as a major advantage Ribadu has over Jonathan in view of issues every Nigerian admits we must address if we are to move forward .

We only need to look at the bastardization of the NIPP (National integrated power project) scheme under OBJ to understand the type of corrupt pontification dressed as 'privatisation' that will go on in our power sector under GEJ. Nigerians will be condemned to more power generation misery for the foreseeable future . it will be the same in every sector be it education , health or Road provision/renovation. For example , is there any proof from how Mr. president has acted so far , that once Jonathan is firmly ensconced in Aso Rock come 2011, given his 'close' relationship with Mr. Fixit,that we will not see Anenih insensitively returned , because of his "experience" , as the head of some newly formed committee to supervise the "upgrade and renewal" of Nigerian roads ?   

It is paramount Nigerian gains a President who will unite Nigerians, does not inspire rancour or division, has vigour, undoubed bravery, boundless energy, mental and physically fitness , sincerity and a genuine desire to tackle corruption. That man is Nuhu Ribadu. for our nations unity and development, any incoming Government must appreciates the non-negotiable requirement of diminished corruption as a precursor to Nigeria making appreciable progress in any sector. Jonathan cannot and will not tackle corruption . he is surrounded by corruption and sponsored by it . Nigerians who have studied our political terrain can all appreciate that anyone who is sponsored into power by the enemies of Nigeria cannot be a friend of Nigerians.

We praise Ribadu's anti-corruption stance that has made him respected and reknowned internationally yet Ribadu is much more than a corruption-buster . I have had the priviledge of meeting him and I feel that this is a man who cares about Nigeria and all Nigerians deeply enough to the extent that he will always put them first . Ribadu , unlike most politicians , is almost childishly sincere . This may not be an overt virtue because , in Nigeria , some folks prefer fork-tongued , insincere empty promises from disciples of the numerous self-serving and hedonistically primitive cabals that continue to prevent the rise of a modern Nigeria . That "childish sincerity" , when allied with other qualities of Ribadu, is a potent weapon that will bring progress and development to Nigeria. Things are often complicated when the need not be. ribadu will 'declutter' and ultimately 'clean up'if given a chance.If many of us have not had our ethos severely bastardized by ethnic bigotry, corruption and a culture that deifies mediocre "money miss road" leaders Ribadu would be coasting home unchallenged to Aso rock because his skills, sincerity, bravery, self-belief and willingness to tackle corruption show that he will have the neccessary political will to successfully confront those who continue to impede Nigeria's progress for their own self interests.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Anubis: 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2011
Dont forget Anpp, they have their convention tonight
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Jarus(m): 8:19pm On Jan 14, 2011
Good one, Gbawe.

We have sent PMs to Beaf and Gen Buhari to come and make their cases too.

Other volunteers are also free to add their opinions.

Meanwhile, if anybody picks any fault in Gbawe's case above, let's have your arguments.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Jarus(m): 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2011
Anubis:

Dont forget Anpp, they have their convention tonight
Thanks. I forgot. We will update accordingly as soon as they have their candidate.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by UyiIredia(m): 8:33pm On Jan 14, 2011
@ Gbawe >>> the work of EFCC and the Nigerian political climate whilst intertwined have different dynamics >>> i need you to convince me that Ribadu has the muscle (never mind the sincerity, though it's important) to effect the changes needed in the country >>> till then i'm rooting for GEJ
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 8:39pm On Jan 14, 2011
Jarus, thank you!

First of all, I want you all to look at the situation of Nigeria today. What do you see? Yeah, that's right, you all see corruption and fraud as the main of the day. We all live our lives praying to God to bring a Messiah that can lead us as Nigerians out of abject poverty. We all pray to not be a victim of internet scams and all the vices our economy has forced our youths to do.
My brothers and sisters, the messiah has come. He has come to replace our corrupt mentality with hard work. He has come to fish out our corrupt leader and hold them accountable. He has come to lead us to a brighter and better Nigeria. His name is Buhari!!!
My fellow Nigerians, we have seen how our independence day was taken from us, we have seen how our Christmas was taken from us, and we have seen how our brothers and sisters are dying in Jos, yet our incumbent president (GJ) has done nothing about it. Must we continue to laugh when suffering? Must we continue to lose our relatives because we have an incompetent president? The answer is NO!!!
My fellow country men, we have since how our foreign reserves have plummeted and yet no change. We have seen how the cabals have sent their children abroad to further their education with the tax we pay while leaving us in Nigeria to suffer from strike actions. We have seen how they promise us a better future yet the unemployment rate is still at a all time high. Are we not tired of these same people? Do we like suffering this much?

My people, the answer to all these problem is simple. VOTE BUHARI and you would see changes. He might not be able to solve every single one of them but you would all be impressed with his administration. Vote ACN, the party of the progressives! Vote BUHARI, the man of discipline!!! cool
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Jan 14, 2011
^^^ You are pitching Buhari to the Nigerian people as messiah? Seriously? Are you being sarcastic? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 8:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ You are pitching Buhari to the Nigerian people as messiah? Seriously? Are you being sarcastic? shocked shocked shocked
No, I am not being sarcastic. Buhari would lay the foundation for us to build on. The foundatio is to up root corruption out of the Nigerian system. Once that is done, then we can progress. If not, we are just build a castle on thin air!!! cool UP ACN!!! UP BUHARI!!!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Jan 14, 2011
jason123:

No, I am not being sarcastic. [b]Buhari would lay the foundation for us to build on. The foundatio is to up root corruption out of the Nigerian system. [/b]Once that is done, then we can progress. If not, we are just build a castle on thin air!!! cool UP ACN!!! UP BUHARI!!!

And how does Buhari intend on accomplishing this, especially since it is highly likely he will be surrounded by many of our known corrupt king pins who have the people in all areas of Government?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Jarus(m): 8:46pm On Jan 14, 2011
Thanks, Jason.
Or are you ready to take the lead role for Buhari in this grand debate?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 8:47pm On Jan 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

And how does Buhari intend to accomplish this?
By sensitising the public about the consequences that comes with corruption!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 8:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Jarus:

Thanks, Jason.
Or are you ready to take the lead role for Buhari in this grand debate?

Not yet. I would wait for my army (eku_bear and Gbawe) before I start! wink
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jan 14, 2011
How does he intend to do that is what I would like to know? How do you sensitize a nation full of ethnic and religious minded individuals who seem more concerned about what is in it for themselves?

Again, how does Buhari intend on accomplishing this, especially since it is highly likely he will be surrounded by many of our known corrupt king pins who have the people in all areas of Government?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by UyiIredia(m): 8:51pm On Jan 14, 2011
at least his (jason's) opinions tally with that of my pastor (i.e Tunde Bakare) >>> they both canvass for Buhari's support >>> and i can't agree >>> one because Buhari is part of a closed chapter of Nigeria's political history (i.e military regimes and its implications) >>> two, because in the 2007 presidential debate, Buhari ceased to comment on the Land Use Act >>> i find that fraudulent >>> because that act is one of the causes of the Niger-Delta dilemma

on the other hand, his opponent, Pat Utomi (if i recall correctly) pointed out the need for such an act to be amended >>> something I applaud
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by UyiIredia(m): 8:53pm On Jan 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How does he intend to do that is what I would like to know? How do you sensitize a nation full of ethnic and religious minded individuals who seem more concerned about what is in it for themselves?

Again, how does Buhari intend on accomplishing this, especially since it is highly likely he will be surrounded by many of our known corrupt king pins who have the people in all areas of Government?

by means of koboko >>> 1ce a soldier always a soldier
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 9:00pm On Jan 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

First of all, do you know why these "ethnic groups" are only concerned about themselves? Its because of the insecurity that accompanies the lack of infrastructure and discipline in the society, their society! He would be the strict president that Nigeria needs now in her time of trouble.

Secondly, what corrupt king pins are you talking about? No Nigerian can influence Buhari, its a known fact.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 9:01pm On Jan 14, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

Exactly!!! grin grin grin cheesy. The society lacks discipline.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by goggs(m): 9:06pm On Jan 14, 2011
Jonathan VS Buhari

Gbanngggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIGHT!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by blacksta(m): 9:10pm On Jan 14, 2011
As posted earlier

I can list 1000 reasons why a GEJ presidential position will be business as usual for the corrupt elite who have decimated Nigerian beyond recognition.

we have a saying " Show me your friends and i will reveal truths about your person"

I rest for now -

I have opened the floor with my abstract
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2011
blacksta:

As posted earlier

I can list 1000 reasons why a GEJ presidential position will be business as usual for the corrupt elite who have decimated Nigerian beyond recognition.

we have a saying " Show me your friends and i will reveal truths about your person"

I rest for now -

I have opened the floor with my abstract

Well said!!! I AM WAITING FOR GJ's supporters ooo!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Jan 14, 2011
jason123:

First of all, do you know why these "ethnic groups" are only concerned about themselves? Its because of the insecurity that accompanies the lack of infrastructure and discipline in the society, their society! He would be the strict president that Nigeria needs now in her time of trouble.

But you have not answered my question. I am not looking for a generalized sort of answer to this. I am looking for a more to-the-point answer to the questions asked. You have gone as far to believe Buhari the messiah the people have been waiting for and so I would expect you have probably considered all this.

How is Buhari, surrounded by corrupt individuals in the Senate and House, probably in his own cabinet, at the various levels of Government going to accomplish any of what you have suggested he will.

You mention the lack of infrastructure and discipline in the society, and we are speaking here of a society of over 140 million. How is he going to cause these millions from the corruption-as-usual mindset to one where they see themselves part of the solution to Nigeria?

jason123:

Secondly, what corrupt king pins are you talking about? No Nigerian can influence Buhari, its a known fact.

If you believe that, fine. . .  I don't. I believe that one, he is a Nigeria and so it is not impossible for him to turn out like the others. Now, I do have to ask, what you think will happen to people like Obasanjo, Nwodo, Atiku, Saraki, Ciroma etc when and if Buhari is elected. Do you somehow think they will all disappear? Their minions will no longer do the work these goons pay them to do?
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Jan 14, 2011
Uyi Iredia:

I am not against the use of koboko ooo. I just want to hear how the Koboko tactics will work to alleviate the problem in Nigeria.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Beaf: 10:15pm On Jan 14, 2011
Gbawe's comment about corruption being Nigeria's main problem is completely wrong and displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the Nigerian fabric, but going further to build his candidates profile around that is almost hilarious.
I will make a very bold and assertive correction; corruption is simply a by product of Nigeria's deeper problems. It takes a lot of understanding and deep thought to discern that the government structure of Nigeria was deliberately tailored by the cabal in such a way that ethnic bigotry, religious bigotry and corruption flourish, all for their financial benefit. Nigeria's biggest issue is our national architecture, this is something GEJ understands perfectly and in his usual quiet way, has begun tackling.
True federalism below the surface, will ensure accountability and the demise of corruption and ethnic bigotry. Jonathans govt is planting the seeds.

On the surface, true federalism is about the decentralisation of power from Abuja, the empowerment of states and local govts, the diversification of our economy, empowerment of the private sector, true grassroots representation, the ability to choose local leaders that are the peoples choice. True federalism is about citizen wellbeing, industrialisation and economic growth.
Jonathans govt has kicked of the true federalism process by taken up privatisation of key areas, like power, petroleum refining (3 new semi-private refineries are being built for $23billion); but there are also the the quieter and vastly more exciting and profound projects going on, such as the provision of a comprehensive statistics base for Nigeria. All sorts of statistics projects have kicked off, these include projects for taxation to projects that will provide the precise figure each and every one of Nigeria's 770 Local govts adds or subtracts from the Nigerian economy. There are also projects to localise certain elements of security.

Any aspirant that see's corruption, rather than its causes as Nigeria's problem lacks experience and the ability to think at an abstract level, of course, such candidate are non-starters who still leave in the primitive Worlds of coup plotting and command mentality of a lifetime in uniforms and regiments (police or military). But, leadership is not about how to use a koboko, it is about wisdom, patience and the healing touch, all of which Jonathan posesses. Civilian democracy cannot be approached with a barrack mentality, which is only a throwback to the years in which the errors of the Nigerian contraption where created.
Nigeria requires fundamental re-engineering of the sort only thinkers can wrought. At this crossroads in our history, we do no need wrestlers and boxers in govt, what we need is the calm, wise head on Jonathans shoulders.

Nigeria needs a man who can reach out to the various ethnic groups and religious faiths, as aptly demonstrated by Jonathans across the board victory at the PDP Presidential primaries yesterday (winning across Muslim and Christian states and all ethnicities); a victory that was delivered in the most transparent way; every Nigerian participated in the ballot counting, either as a witness or directly; a beautiful example of what Nigeria can be, a first in the country. That same transparency is what Nigeria craves and Jonathan, now unshackeled from the dirty politics of opponents (zoning, bombing, ethnic bigotry etc) can begin to deliver.

Jonathans outreach to the everyday Nigerian is evident with his prolific use of every available medium to reach out to the ordinary person, from church services, Muslim holy periods to facebook. He is a man WITH the people, a listener, an ordinary Nigerian like you and I who is in position to cure (and will cure) the ills of Nigeria.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2011
Beaf:

what we need is the calm, wise head on Jonathans shoulders.

i like this part
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2011
Fellow Nigerians, what has Jonathan done that is worthy of praise? He has had his "test-run" as the president of our great nation and what has he achieved, if not more anarchy, chaos and disorder. He is in a party that has brought unimaginable suffering to us, to the ordinary Nigerian citizens. Do we have to continue electing this evil party into power? PDP has spent over 11 years in power and yet they have not achieved anything, infact, the political party almost split the country into two. A party that her members threatens the unity of this country. Is that what you all want?
Meanwhile, we have another option and it is ACN. You have all seen ACN's achievements in Lagos and Edo state. Do you not want all that to be in your states? My people, RIBADU is the change. We all witnessed how the politicians ran helter-skelter when he was the president of the EFCC.
My country men, we do not need all these fake old men to tell us what to do. Its our generation and we should grab it with both hands.
My brothers and sisters,lets leave tribal and religious sentiments out of this. Lets not vote people out of pity. Let us get this right for once! We might not have another opportunity. Let's vote for Ribadu, the change we have all been waiting for! UP ACN, UP RIBADU!!!
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 14, 2011
jason123:

You have all seen ACN's achievements in Lagos and Edo state. Do you not want all that to be in your states?

but ACN can't even capture up to 3/4 of the states
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by jason123: 10:45pm On Jan 14, 2011
babaearly:

but ACN can't even capture up to 3/4 of the states
Yes. that was before the 2007 eelction but now, ACN would do much more especially with an igbo VP.
Re: Presidential Debate - Battle Of The Campaigners by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 14, 2011
@ OP & fellow campaigners, in as much as i would love to support an ideal candidate that will encapsulate "the childlike sincerity" of a RIBADU, "the disciplined record" of a BUHARI and GEJ due to the quest for "equality and fairness" thrown up by the greed for power by some northern elements via clamour for rotational presidency! However i beg to say that the major issue bedevilling nigeria is FOLLOWERSHIP because the corrupt and indisciplined leaders?(politicians) of today were followers of yesterday. So what will the candidates do regarding followership in terms of discipline, morality, quick rich syndrome, indolence regarding national issues, failure to insist on our rights and demanding for accountability & responsibility from the government be it local, state or federal? Do your candidates have the capability to encourage followership that will not be disenchanted with the system of governance but encouraged for a general good of the nation? 'COS A GOOD PRESIDENT SURROUNDED BY CORRUPT INDIVIDUALS OF LOW MORAL STANDARDS BE IT MINISTERS, NASS, ADVISERS, GOVERNORS, JUDICIARY E.T.C WILL NEVER LIVE ABOVE BOARD BUT ONLY DRAW US BACK AS A NATION. So what are your candidates take on followership participation in governance?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala Under Probe For €3.6m Vehicles Deal / Buhari And Obasanjo At 6th Tokyo International Conference 2016 - Photos / National Officers Ask Metuh, Secondus To Step Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 221
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.