Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair (6382 Views)

2015 Election Not War But Contest Among Brothers, Sisters — Jonathan / See What Really Killed Sani Abacha & President Umaru Yar'adua / President Umaru Yar'adua Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Afam(m): 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2007
@I-man/4Play,

Get one thing straight, you don't think for me and you don't direct me to think or write in a particular way.

I am not easily manipulated like you.

Do you have a problem with what I have stated? If yes, post your comment and stop asking me to comment or condemn something as you have no right to do so.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Iman3(m): 6:31pm On Jun 11, 2007
Afam:

Get one thing straight, you don't think for me and you don't direct me to think or write in a particular way.

I think the pertinent question is whether you think at all

Do you have a problem with what I have stated? If yes, post your comment and stop asking me to comment or condemn something as you have no right to do so.

Nobody asked you to make a comment.You made an utterly ridiculous assertion that there were 2 rigged elections under 5 years in the US.My natural question was . .how come the Democrats aren't up in arms over this "obvious fact"?

This thread is about the farcical elections conducted in Nigeria recently.Your contributions have been limited to castigating US elections.What has Bush got to do with Nigerian elections?
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 11, 2007
There are a lot of Nigerians who seem to know much more about Bush and the US than Americans in the corridors of power. Amazing that this "obvious facts" of 2 rigged elections in 5 yrs is only known to Nigerians living in Lagos.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Afam(m): 6:56pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

I think the pertinent question is whether you think at all

Nobody asked you to make a comment.You made an utterly ridiculous assertion that there were 2 rigged elections under 5 years in the US.My natural question was . .how come the Democrats aren't up in arms over this "obvious fact"?

At least I do not hide under different usernames on a public forum.

Meanwhile, are you denying that there were no rigging (2) in the US in 5 years?

It seems that I am giving you a reason to post here after losing any form of credibility you had left when your cover (multiple usernames) was blown.

Get real.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Iman3(m): 7:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
Afam:

Meanwhile, are you denying that there were no rigging (2) in the US in 5 years?

Should be apparent by now . Lacking your usual armada of leftist "copy and paste material",you seem bereft of imagination,clueless and reduced to clutching the most fatuous of parrallels.A  tabular rasa awaiting "further instructions" from leftist moonbats delivered straight to his email inbox.

This is your umpteenth post on this thread and you still seem utterly incapable of articulating your opinion on the recent elections in Nigeria. Any decent and honest human being can see that the elections were a farce.You seem more concerned with US elections than the Nigerian elections. . .odd cause you are not even American
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jun 11, 2007
I-man:

You seem more concerned with US elections than the Nigerian elections. . .odd cause you are not even American

You hit the nail on the head. Millions of ordinary americans go about their daily business with no care in the world while Lagosians hyperventilate over the elections of George Bush. This is strange business indeed.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Bankole01(m): 2:49am On Jun 12, 2007
THat Ya'Adua would have won in a transparent election is a moot point. The fact remains that the April (S)elections were not 'free and fair'. This is the only relevant situation on ground. The citizens of Nigeria were cheated and disenfranchised ans Yar'Adua's presidency remains illegitimate and lacks the people's mandate.

even if he forms a government of National unity, The only beneficiaries will still be (opposition party people not supported by the people. Where does this transfer into acts to ameliorate and sooth the people's weary and oppressed souls??

Even with a governmaent of national unity in the federal, what about the several selected senators and assembly members The PDP south to make Nigeria aone party State and have largely succeeded!!!!!! How do you redress this?

What about the various States where (s)elections took on a new form of brigandage? You now have glorified thugs, thieves nad gangsters running the affairs of several States!!!!! How do you redress these? Do you form governments of State unity in these places? Who is going to make these Obasanjo thugs to form such goverments??

Yar'Adua cannot run a just government of a faulty foundation. That will always follow him no matter how honorable his intentions may be.
He is starting on a wrong leg and all his efforts will come to nought for this simple fact of lack of mandate.

As much as there have been irregularities in American elections, especially under george Bush, it is a far cry from the blatant charade called April elections in Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Afam(m): 9:53am On Jun 12, 2007
Bankole01:

THat Ya'Adua would have won in a transparent election is a moot point. The fact remains that the April (S)elections were not 'free and fair'. This is the only relevant situation on ground. The citizens of Nigeria were cheated and disenfranchised ans Yar'Adua's presidency remains illegitimate and lacks the people's mandate.

@Bankole01,

So, what are you suggesting? That Yar'adua steps down and hands over to God knows who?

Can you just state what you expect him to do so we can get a handle on this issue.

@I-man/4Play and Davidylan,

It seems crystal clear now that you guys don't even understand the reason for referencing the US elections that were rigged and there is very little I can do to make you understand what has been unambiguosly stated here.

To further expose the level of understanding you both share I will put down the reason again

One of you stated that it is only in a country like Nigeria that elections will be rigged and the people will do nothing and accept the results.

My response was that even in the US where the poster resides, we have seen 2 rigged elections and the heavens did not fall.

Conclusion: It is not only in Nigeria that elections are rigged and it is not only in Nigeria that the citizens will not go to war over elections.

If you have anything against the conclusion reached above state it otherwise don't bore me with your low level of comprehension abeg.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Bankole01(m): 3:28pm On Jun 14, 2007
Afam:

@Bankole01,

So, what are you suggesting? That Yar'adua steps down and hands over to God knows who?

Can you just state what you expect him to do so we can get a handle on this issue.

Since you asked, I will profer what my wisdom dictates.

Now that Yar'Adua is on a roll to confess that all is not well and Nigeria's April elections were a sham, he needs to preside over a new set of 'free and fair elections'

First, an electoral body by act of the NASS has to be convened. This body will be truely independent and have its budget approved and appropriated to the NASS only.

There will be a new national regisration conducted to register everyone who so wished.

Elections will then be started when all registers are collated and delievered to their respective wards.
Local government elections will be done first as these are the points of access to the public. All hands will be on board to make sure they are free, fair and above reproach.

Guber elections will follow, where again the same standards will be observed.

Senate and Representative elections will follow, with same standards.

After all the peoples' representatives are comfortably elected, we will then have a presidential election. Yar'Adua himself will be allowed to freely participate and so will anyone who wins his party's primaries.

If Yar'Adua wins the election and is able to preside over a trully democratic process whereby true representatives of the people are elected, he will win the hearts of Nigerians and the nation will be on the path to greatness.

Until he does these, he will forever be tainted and his government will totter on the brink of disaster.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by obong(m): 4:14pm On Jun 14, 2007
he said the election had short comings. he did not say it was not free or fair. big difference
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by Bankole01(m): 5:42pm On Jun 14, 2007
obong:

he said the election had short comings. he did not say it was not free or fair. big difference

semantics and double talk, same same. Some will call it tautology. Still the same game of playing with words. When a man intends to deceive, he starts to go around in circles talking at length to describe something he could have said in a simple sentence!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by natur(m): 4:23am On Jun 16, 2007
If things could get better-off to have our name dragged through the mud, for a while, it's okay by me, afterall what do we call our pride. And, what are some people trying to make of the American government and that of the Spanish. Maybe, we should give kudos to the presido because Mr. Bush also rigid into the white house. Otherwise, I can't buy their idea.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by vigasimple(m): 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2007
To everyone here

1. The comparism drawn with the US election is that it was rigged and nobody went to war, the loser have a choice, either not to conceed and go to Court. He choose to conceed.

IN nigeria case, the main oppositions has not formally conceeded, and can go to court.

2. The fact that election is flawed does not mean it is not fair even though it may not be free, because, the same opposition would do worst if they have similar position

3. Running an election is complicated,time consuming, costs and security inside and outside. Paralysis of day to day business of ordinary people making a living.

What I think is that some aggrieved sympathiser of the oppositions are expecting was riot, violence and all sort of bringing the country to a halt and they were disappointed. OBJ threw a masterstroke on day of inauguration of Yar Adua (UMY) he declare public holiday and get everone to sit at home and don't come out to cause trouble or be used to cause trouble.

There are so may things we have to do in Nigeria to get the election anywhere near free and fairer.
Certainly the first will be our orientation and purpose of being elected. If everyone want to be elected because of 'National cake' election will continue to be rubbish.

But If people want to serve and can show their credentials and credibility, then things will be different.

Come 4 years unless the debate is carried out now with necessary reform in place, we are simply wasting our time. It will propably be the same.

God continue to bless me and our Great country Nigeria.
Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by adem30: 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2018
I wish a moderator can repost this to the front page now.

We need to refresh the brain of kids in this forum

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Umaru Yar'adua: My Election Not Free And Fair by EvilMetahuman: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2018
adem30:
I wish a moderator can repost this to the front page now.

We need to refresh the brain of kids in this forum

this is when nairaland was still sane forum where people discuss issues.

2day, all you have are ediots who dnt read posts or understand anythin before they hit reply just for likes and shares.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics, Unbelieveable See The Real Slave Girl On Her Two Knees For PMB!!! / Reps Set For Extra Budget To Fund New Ministries / Corona Virus: Bill Gate Was Attacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.