Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) (2259 Views)

Successful Business Man Finally Reveals A Heavily Guarded Sales Secret / Minted #100,000 Cash Becomes Heavily Wet Up By Itself In My Bag Overnight / Nigeria Loses $90m Investment To Kenya As Coca-cola Expands Operation In E’afric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by databoy247(m): 9:42am On May 17, 2020
In the mid 18th century, a man called John Stith Pemberton developed a unique and sweet carbonated drink which he later sold to Asa Griggs Candler in 1888 for $2,300 (valued at $63,958.21 today). Back then, this was pretty expensive for a formula.

Asa Candler did want to take any chances because acquiring a recipe for a whopping $2,300 was one of the biggest investments that needed protection. He started a secrecy project to guard his intellectual property in 1891.

According to Wikipedia, the founder of the formula John Pemberton, only shared this formula to just four persons before his death.

Candler’s company grew till 1919 when another guy called Ernest Woodruff purchased Candler’s company. And guess what? He actually used the recipe of Coca-cola as collateral for a bank loan he used in purchasing the company.

The only written formula was placed in the bank’s vault pending when the loan will be repaid.

And I guess the rumors were true. Only two people know the formula of Coca-Cola and they are anonymous employees who must not be together at any time. Mr. A does not know the part of the secret Mr. B knows and vice-visa.

The recipe for Coca-cola is stored in a large vault in Atlanta, Georgia. No one knows if there are copies of the recipe stored anywhere else.

So many mysteries and stories surrounding the secret of Coca-Cola. There was a story that in 1996, one of the great-grandsons of John Pemberton’s employee claimed he had the recipe written in his grandfather’s handwriting. During his divorce, his wife claimed he gave it to her as a wedding present hence, it’s hers.

But one of the formulas is known by many. It’s called coca leaf. And amazingly, only one company has the right to import the coca leaves in the US and yes, it’s not Coca-Cola. The company is called Stepan Co.

Coca Leaves
It’s illegal to plant coca leaves in the US because it’s the main ingredient in the production of cocaine. Ever wondered why Coca-cola became additive and had tremendous growth in the late 1800 and early 1900? It was laced with extracts of cocaine which is also a by-product of the coca leaves, part of Coca-Cola’s secret formulas.

Cocaine was eliminated from the Coca-cola’s recipe in 1903 but do you believe that? Personally, I still think Coca-cola is damn addictive. In fact, writing this, I crave for one.

Only Coca-cola has the right to purchase the processed coca leaves from Stepan Co. I say process because they have to extract all the cocaine from the leaves before handing to Coca-cola. The cocaine extracts are then sold to pharmaceutical companies.

Columbia’s war on drugs.

America has been fighting a drug war in the plains of Columbia for years now. With all the resources and funding by the US government, why has the war not been over?

Some years ago, I read a fictional novel about a DEA official deeply involved in the pursuit of a drug lord in Columbia for years. The battle was tough but one day, he was captured by the drug cartel.

The cartel boss told him to reduce his chase because for now, he is attending to some important issues after which they can resume the cat and mouse game. The DEA official was angry. But the cartel boss explained to him how America wouldn’t actually eliminate the cocaine industry in Columbia because they needed the money.

The drug lord went on to ask him where does he think they invest their drug money? Of course the US. They invest in real estate and keep the American dollar flowing.

Well, this was just a fictional story.

But looking at it from another angle, one of America’s biggest conglomerate(and one of the biggest in the world), Coca-cola thrives on coca leaves produced in Columbia which is also used in producing cocaine.

Truth is, America cannot end the planting of coca leaves in Columbia because they need it. So I wonder if the drug war will actually end.

Well, cocaine, or no cocaine, Coca-cola has become one of the world’s biggest corporations headquartered in the US. The company’s revenue in 2018 was $31.85 billion with a market capitalization of roughly $188 billion.

I explained how you can become a shareholder of Coca-cola here and be a part-owner of this massive enterprise that has lasted more than 125 years.

Pic 1 - the vault where the secret ingredient is kept
Pic 2 - one of the known recipe called coca leaves which is also used in producing cocaine
Pic 3 - an executive holding the box where the secret is stored.
Pic 4 - Stepan, the only company allowed to import coca leaves into the US

Source: BaseTimes
https://basetimes.com/2020/05/17/coca-cola-and-their-most-guarded-secret-in-the-world/

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by bigiyaro(m): 9:57am On May 17, 2020
the formula was not revealed to John smith by flesh and blood. I also heard that other coca cola plants only just add water and sugar to the already prepared concentrated coca cola liquid flown in from the US, no wonder wherever 2 or 3 are gathered, coke is in dia midst.
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by Tolani0167(m): 10:05am On May 17, 2020
Nawa o
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by timibare(m): 10:09am On May 17, 2020
This is nice....OP, good one
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by GodPunishBiafra: 10:10am On May 17, 2020
Really?

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by EzzyCarter: 10:17am On May 17, 2020
bigiyaro:
the formula was not revealed to John smith by flesh and blood. I also heard that other coca cola plants only just add water and sugar to the already prepared concentrated coca cola liquid flown in from the US, no wonder wherever 2 or 3 are gathered, coke is in dia midst.

True. If you've had a chance to taste original coke from UK/US, you'll know Nigerian Coke is absolutely shitty. They are just using the Popular Brand license to churn out rubbish... same goes for Pepsi-Cola as well. Must everything made in Naija be inferior?

3 Likes

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by bigiyaro(m): 12:06pm On May 17, 2020
EzzyCarter:

True. If you've had a chance to taste original coke from UK/US, you'll know Nigerian Coke is absolutely shitty. They are just using the Popular Brand license to churn out rubbish... same goes for Pepsi-Cola as well. Must everything made in Naija be inferior?
exactly, even when jos coca cola plant was working, the coke bottled there tastes different from the one bottled in Lagos. that of Pepsi is an apology.

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by EzzyCarter: 12:12pm On May 17, 2020
bigiyaro:
exactly, even when jos coca cola plant was working, the coke bottled there tastes different from the one bottled in Lagos. that of Pepsi is an apology.

Just imagine that grin @bolded

2 Likes

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by Palantir: 2:38pm On May 17, 2020
EzzyCarter:

Really? I have taken Coca-Cola in 1 European, 2 African,1 middle-eastern and 1 Asian country. Tasted the same to me.

1 Like

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by EzzyCarter: 2:42pm On May 17, 2020
Palantir:

Really? I have taken Coca-Cola in 1 European, 2 African,1 middle-eastern and 1 Asian country. Tasted the same to me.

The present quality is miles apart Lol. When last did you have Nigerian Coke bro?
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by Palantir: 2:43pm On May 17, 2020
bigiyaro:

From the visits I made to a number of Coca-Cola bottling plants during my college days, the coke concentrates is provided by the Coca-Cola Hellenic Company in Ogun State (I think) to the various bottling plants around Nigeria. There water is added to the concentrate and the drink bottled.

The guys the bottle Coca-Cola in Nigeria are a franchise. These companies are not owned by Coca-Cola. The concentrate producing guys are the only company actually owned by Coca-Cola in Nigeria. Even in concentrate form, they still try to protect their intellectual property.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by databoy247(m): 2:47pm On May 17, 2020
Palantir:

From the visits I made to a number of Coca-Cola bottling plants during my college days, the coke concentrates is provided by the Coca-Cola Hellenic Company in Ogun State (I think) to the various bottling plants around Nigeria. There water is added to the concentrate and the drink bottled.

The guys the bottle Coca-Cola in Nigeria are a franchise. These companies are not owned by Coca-Cola. The concentrate producing guys are the only company actually owned by Coca-Cola in Nigeria. Even in concentrate form, they still try to protect their intellectual property.
Interesting
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by addexx: 4:50pm On May 17, 2020
grin
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by addexx: 4:53pm On May 17, 2020
If Coca-Cola is made of coca leaf

Then Pepsi is made of
Wait for it
Pepper leaf grin

4 Likes

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by databoy247(m): 5:04pm On May 17, 2020
timibare:
This is nice....OP, good one
thanks
Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by Tedpgrass: 10:30pm On May 22, 2020
Palantir:

No sir, it doesn't... Not at all.
You've got to be a connoisseur like the op and myself to know the difference..

Re: Coca-cola And Their Heavily Guarded Secret Recipe (pics) by LewsTherin: 7:00am On May 29, 2020
Tedpgrass:

No sir, it doesn't... Not at all.
You've got to be a connoisseur like the op and myself to know the difference..

The OP's argument is that the difference is so obvious, the Nigerian one tastes like crap.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Stop The Act Of Prostitution Happening In A Nightclub In Nigeria? / Nairalist Users: Beware Of Scam! / Filling Station For Lease In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.