Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? (15863 Views)

Why Did General Adeyemi Kill Tyoor Akwaaza aka Gana" Why ? / Victoria Aguiyi-ironsi Celebrates Her 96th Birthday. Dances To Tekno's Song / John Nnanyerem Aguiyi Is Dead: General Aguiyi Ironsi's Son Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Christistruth00: 11:28pm On May 19, 2020
Dedetwo:

Nobody promoted Lt Col Wellington Umog Bassey to anything. Before the January 15, 1966, Lt Col Umoh Bassey was the commanding of Depot Zaria. He was not the caliber of Officer to give a command a combatant unit.

That is untrue and was part of the propaganda against him. W.U Bassey later commanded the 1st Brigade Division Kaduna only 1st Class officer's command that Brigade. It was Nigeria's no 1 Military establishment. On the day of the Jan 15 Coup in 1966 W.U Bassey was serving in a posting meant for a Captain .Ironsi his junior was Head of the Army and Ojukwu whom Bassey was Commissioned 7 years ahead of and had joined the Army while he was still 3 years old was commanding the Brigade in Kano. (A Brigadiers post). That was terrible injustice against the man.
Northern Officers and Soldiers had seen all this and went out their way to make sure W.U Bassey was untouched during the revenge coup.

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Adefatima: 11:28pm On May 19, 2020
Interesting thoughts
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Dedetwo(m): 11:50pm On May 19, 2020
Christistruth00:

That is untrue and was part of the propaganda against him. W.U Bassey later commanded the 1st Brigade Kaduna only 1st Class officer's command that Brigade. It was Nigeria's no 1 Military establishment. On the day of the Jan 15 Coup in 1966 W.U Bassey was serving in a posting meant for a Captain .Ironsi his junior was Head of the Army and Ojukwu whom he was Commissioned 7 years ahead of and had joined the Army while he was still 3 years old was commanding the Brigade in Kano. (A Brigadiers post). That was terrible injustice against the man.

You simply argue out of sentiment. I wonder if you have seen a parade ground before now. As of January 1, 1966. Lt. Col Umoh Bassey was commanding officer of Depot Zaria. He was transport officer. After the January 15, 1966, when many senior officers were killed, Lt Col Umoh Bassey was appointed by the Head of State, Ironsi to command 1st Brigade, Kaduna because both Ademulegun and Shodeinde were killed. If George Kurubo did not go over to Air Force as CO, he would have been the 1st Brigade commander instead of Umoh Bassey. This view originated from the fact George Kurubo was commander of 3rd Battalion, Kaduna before the coup when Umoh Bassey was not commanding a bunch of woods.

9 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Christistruth00: 11:58pm On May 19, 2020
Dedetwo:

You simply argue out of sentiment. I wonder if you have seen a parade ground before now. As of January 1, 1966. Lt. Col Umoh Bassey was commanding officer of Depot Zaria. He was transport officer. After the January 15, 1966, when many senior officers were killed, Lt Col Umoh Bassey was appointed by the Head of State, Ironsi to command 1st Brigade, Kaduna because both Ademulegun and Shodeinde were killed. If George Kurubo did not go over to Air Force as CO, he would have been the 1st Brigade commander in Umoh Bassey. This view originated from the fact George Korubo was commander 3rd Battalion, Kaduna before the coup when Umoh Bassey was not commanding a bunch of woods.

That seems to be part of the plan by Zik and NCNC to stagnate Bassey's Army Career because he was from Calabar and seen as an Eyo-Ita boy , they didn't want him to be in a position to head the Army before Ironsi. He was abandoned in a Captains posting for years without any good reason while Ironsi his junior was sent to the Imperial defence College in the UK and other senior officer courses and Postings.To be honest these type of intrigues still happen in Nigeria today look at how Tanko Mohammed became CJN for example.

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Dedetwo(m): 12:26am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

That seems to be part of the plan by Zik and NCNC to stagnate Bassey's Army Career because he was from Calabar and seen as an Eyo-Ita boy , they didn't want him to be in a position to head the Army before Ironsi. He was abandoned in a Captains posting for years without any good reason while Ironsi his junior was sent to the Imperial defence College in the UK and other senior officer courses and Postings.To be honest these type of intrigues still happen in Nigeria today look at how Tanko Mohammed became CJN for example.

I am not interested in your NPC or AG or NCNC crap. When Royal Queen's Own Regiment was invoke, British ran the military. Even after Nigeria had gained independence, British and NPC ran Nigerian armed forces. There was no NCNC member as either the Prime Minister of Minister of Defense. In essence, the British and northern region political elites ran Nigerian armed forces. Eyo Ita was appointed leader of the government in what later became eastern region with the support of Ndigbo. It was unfortunate Eyo Ita proved to be a turncoat with respect to the formation of ACB and he was kicked out the leader of government. Be mindful that Eyo Ita was nowhere when the real estate became eastern region. Besides, many Ibibio peeps were leaders in eastern region.

7 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by slivertongue: 3:08am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

If Wellington Bassey's career had not been sabotaged by Zik and his NCNC Ministers in order to produce Ironsi as head of Army he would have been head of the Army in Jan 1966 and the Coups and Civil War would not have happened. His promotional trainings were delayed to make sure Ironsi ended up as head of the Army Zik and his Ministers didn't trust the Calabar man to be in charge of the Army .Zik later complained that Gen Ironsi should have made W.Bassey's Governor of the Eastern Region and not Ojukwu who was by far his Junior.

I don't know where u got the idea that zik was part of 1966 coup, junior intakes still make it ahead of their senior intake. I have friends who enrolled the same day with the same class of degree but one has gone ahead of the other by a rank. soon one will be LT. Col. my problem is that both the good, bad and ugly are seen through the prism of tribe.
Military history will offer better schooling. there are also those who joined three years later but are now a rank ahead

7 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by olalat(m): 4:42am On May 20, 2020
Amarabae:
the days of using useless Lagos Ibadan express print media to demonize Igbos are gone,
in this era of social media, Igbos are out to squash any propaganda against us,
that's all I can say
yea, you are right! I only wonder why we never had awka Enugu express way print media all these while. That thing dey vex me. Does it mean no printers around that side or what.

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 6:11am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:
but

Do you know W.U Bassey later even Commanded the 1st Brigade Kaduna Nigeria's premier Brigade? Only 1st class Officers Command that Brigade ! Those who opposed and oppressed him because he was a Eastern Minority always knew he was an excellent officer!!!

The truth could no longer be hidden !
So who were those who opposed and oppressed him? The last Biritish Army Officer in charge of the Nigerian Army never suggested him as his capable replacement. So, was it the British that opposed him?

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 6:17am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

Where was Ademulegun(Ironsi's) mate all these while? Was he sidelined too by Zik because he was Awolowo's boy an ofem.manu?
We will trash all your lies here. Everyone who really seeks the truth in this generation will find it. The internet has made information accessible to everyone who can read.
Why was Ademulegun promoted above Bassey?

10 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 6:34am On May 20, 2020
senatordave1:

This is not a political matter,its something that is older than both apc and pdp and two of us.if you know me well in this forum,you will know that I love igbos.

By the way,Niger delta republic would have happened if we ss had half agitated as you guys did for Biafra.

Even a toddler knows that the army carries more weight than police.between buratai and the igp,who carries more influence?
We don't need your fake love impostor. Bring all you got and we will trash it here. Ademulegun who was Ironsi's mate(just next to him) was equally promoted above Duke Umoh Bassey. Why was it so? You think you can just bring up a sensational topic aimed at creating a false narrative against Igbos and turn around to claim love for the same people? You must be a toddler to think we can't smell you out. The question should have been: why was Bassey's juniors promoted above him? He did not go for any international assignment whether the peace keeping mission in Congo nor any course in England to improve himself. Some of his juniors did those and Ironsi was the first black man to lead the UN peace army to quell the fighting in Congo. He was even given the rank of 'major general' for that position which was later reverted back when he returned to Nigeria. The information is there in the archives if any serious person wants to know the truth.
We the new generation of Igbos especially IPOB members will puncture all your lies against Igbos and set the records straight.

7 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 6:47am On May 20, 2020
olalat:

yea, you are right! I only wonder why we never had awka Enugu express way print media all these while. That thing dey vex me. Does it mean no printers around that side or what.
It was simply because of the war. The Eastern region was the fastest growing region in West Africa. Michael Okpara was building the region excellently. Port Harcourt under him was developing astronomically. He built the presidential Hotel, moved Shell headquarters from Owerri to PH and industries were springing here and there. There were less Igbos in Lagos then because we had our commercial city which we were proud of. Our print media route would have been Enugu-PH express media and the world would have been trooping to the Eastern region to do business and other engagements. You Yorubas would have enjoyed your Lagos all to yourselves.

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 7:00am On May 20, 2020
Igboid:

This was his reply to this same question years ago when the question arose on why Baseey was always overlooked for posts.

https://www.nairaland.com/3884566/first-30-nigerian-military-officers/3

But today he is here his ilks to propagate Igbophobic agenda.
Don't mind the sons of belial. We must match them with everything they bring. You know what makes me proud about Igbo, our forefathers who said " O ji ofor ga ana" were very correct. Barring few mistakes in decision making by our leaders during the formation of Nigeria, majority of what they did was altruistic as I've confirmed through my numerous investigations. We shall overcome all our enemies hell-bent on lying against us hence I always say that history is on our side.

3 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by superlightning: 7:11am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

Ojukwu was part of Ironsi's coup but that is a story for another day. Once those Eastern Region minority Officers knew what was happening they were happy to remain with Gowon and not have anyone play ludo with their lives as well as their Careers. Only Effiong stayed with Ojukwu.

It is now clear that you are biased towards ndigbo. Snap out of it dude. You are seriously been disinformed with propaganda

Were the southern minorities not also among those slaughtered in their thousands in the progrom of 1966? Were their corpses not conveyed to the east via train? After the war, were the Igbo still not picked ahead of you guys to prove that the east has been re-integrated?

See, it's easy to blame igbos because in Nigeria of today where there isn't any accountability it's easy to.

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 7:12am On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

It was the NCNC/NPC coalition Government that recommended Ironsi for promotion. Zik and NCNC didn't even bother to press the case for Bassey's Promotions at all though he was also from the East and the most senior ,he was given a posting meant for a Captain and left there while his mates were going to international senior officers courses and Postings .All promotions beyond Major require political approval.
Who were the others in contest for that same post with Ironsi? Was Bassey among them? Did Major General Christopher Earle Welby Everard- the last British Commander of the Nigerian Army even consider him as a replacement in 1965?
Where was Ademulegun all these time?

3 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by superlightning: 7:13am On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

Where was Ademulegun(Ironsi's) mate all these while? Was he sidelined too by Zik because he was Awolowo's boy an ofem.manu?
We will trash all your lies here. Everyone who really seeks the truth in this generation will find it. The internet has made information accessible to everyone who can read.
Why was Ademulegun promoted above Bassey?

The dude has been brain freezed with a lot of junk and fallacies

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by superlightning: 7:15am On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

Who were the others in contest for that same post with Ironsi? Was Bassey among them? Did Major General Christopher Earle Welby Everard- the last British Commander of the Nigerian Army even consider him as a replacement in 1965?
Where was Ademulegun all these time?

I asked him a similar question, he pretended not to have read that part

3 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Yujin(m): 7:17am On May 20, 2020
superlightning:

The dude has been brain freezed with a lot of junk and fallacies
When I challenge him, he'll keep shut but later resurface with lies to hoodwink the unsuspecting viewers. Unfortunately for him, I've 24hr electricity and internet access and well armed with information to debunk all his lies.

4 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by superlightning: 7:22am On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

When I challenge him, he'll keep shut but later resurface with lies to hoodwink the unsuspecting viewers. Unfortunately for him, I've 24hr security and internet access and well armed with information to debunk all his lies.

Thank God for the internet. Brown roof/Almajiri/our-oyel lies will all get busted.

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by olalat(m): 7:23am On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

It was simply because of the war. The Eastern region was the fastest growing region in West Africa. Michael Okpara was building the region excellently. Port Harcourt under him was developing astronomically. He built the presidential Hotel, moved Shell headquarters from Owerri to PH and industries were springing here and there. There were less Igbos in Lagos then because we had our commercial city which we were proud of. Our print media route would have been Enugu-PH express media and the world would have been trooping to the Eastern region to do business and other engagements. You Yorubas would have enjoyed your Lagos all to yourselves.
. you can't be far from truth, Luois Ojukwu made his billion in the fastest growing economy of the east, yea. what parameters did you use in determine the fastness in growth of the economy. How many yoruba man live and have lived in Enugu as at today? I think the war made popular the print media. research german strategy.
No time to drag anything with you jor. same inferior and defeatist argument always.
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by superlightning: 7:45am On May 20, 2020
olalat:
. you can't be far from truth, Luois Ojukwu made his billion in the fastest growing economy of the east, yea. what parameters did you use in determine the fastness in growth of the economy. How many yoruba man live and have lived in Enugu as at today? I think the war made popular the print media. research german strategy.
No time to drag anything with you jor. same inferior and defeatist argument always.

Truth is, Yoruba wanted economic Monopoly over the easterners, well it backfired.

2 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by patwilly(m): 8:06am On May 20, 2020
naptu2:

His son wrote this:

As he said, these things happen in the Nigerian Army. General Bali was General Babangida's senior, but Babangida was promoted to the rank of (4 star) general on October 1st, 1987, while Bali was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general.

By the way, the first Nigerian to be commissioned as an officer was Lieutenant Laud (Louis) Victor Ugboma (N1A). He was commissioned in 1948, while Bassey, Ironsi and Ademulegun were commissioned in 1949.

Naptu2, Sir, kindly provide links to PDF books written by principal Nigerian military/political actors/participants. I'll appreciate it a lot. Thanks Sir.
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Bede2u(m): 8:35am On May 20, 2020
Tyrant28:
Posterity will repay the ibos for the crime they committed against my people. That is why they are suffering now. May the pain continue
Igbos are suffering? How? Because buhari hasn't given us any major political appointment? Is that one suffering? We are still getting oyel money from Niger Delta to develop our region. The only people suffering are people who own the oyel and some career politicians. Our own na enjoyment we dey

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by OfoIgbo: 2:07pm On May 20, 2020
Christistruth00:

W.U Bassey had helped to resist the Coup and 2 Igbo Officers to 4 Eastern Minority Officers being passed over for Ojukwu to emerge as Governor of the Eastern Region was pure discrimination and the Eastern minorities resented it. Remember Gen Ironsi (Bassey's Junior ) was already Head of Army and later Head of State after Zik and NCNC had played ludo with W.U Bassey's 30 year Army Career.

Bassey and Njoku's role in crushing that coup was negligible when compared with Ojukwu's contributions in crushing it, so yet again, you have to try harder. Shadow shadow people grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by OfoIgbo: 2:19pm On May 20, 2020
SIONKPO1:

It was a local ethnic politics that was played
abeg learn to accept wrongs,apologise and let go

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the military was a federal thing.
I will also want to know why Ogundipe and Ademulegun were ranked higher than Bassey.

Also as I pointed out earlier on, why are you not interested in fighting for Col. Njoku? He was sidelined on two occasions.
The second time was against Col Efiong. Njoku outranked Efiong yet, Efiong was chosen as the vice president of Biafra. So should I blame Ibibios for this? Should I expect Ibibios to apologize to Igbos for such a terrible miscarriage of justice?? Well, we Igbos don't have a shadowy makeup, so we won't go about, blaming Ibibios for an infraction, they know nothing about

5 Likes

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Christistruth00: 3:30pm On May 20, 2020
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by nsiba: 3:36pm On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

We don't need your fake love impostor. Bring all you got and we will trash it here. Ademulegun who was Ironsi's mate(just next to him) was equally promoted above Duke Umoh Bassey. Why was it so? You think you can just bring up a sensational topic aimed at creating a false narrative against Igbos and turn around to claim love for the same people? You must be a toddler to think we can't smell you out. The question should have been: why was Bassey's juniors promoted above him? He did not go for any international assignment whether the peace keeping mission in Congo nor any course in England to improve himself. Some of his juniors did those and Ironsi was the first black man to lead the UN peace army to quell the fighting in Congo. He was even given the rank of 'major general' for that position which was later reverted back when he returned to Nigeria. The information is there in the archives if any serious person wants to know the truth.
We the new generation of Igbos especially IPOB members will puncture all your lies against Igbos and set the records straight.

AZIKIWE the chief tribal warlord was the most senior political office holder from eastern Nigeria, if a man that so schemed out an Ibibio civilian man for him to rise why would he sanction one in the military?
Just like what was happening in the Eastern Scholarship Board he made sure IBOs controlled every higher post!
Was the Nigeria Army funding itself or the Federal Government?
A man that vacated the position of the Premier of Eastern Nigeria to be President still made sure an IBO man succeeded him and still made another IBO to be Governor General
AZIKIWE - President
Michael Opara- Premier Eastern Region
Akanu Ibiam- Governor General
Aguiyi Ironsi- Head of State
OJUKWU- Governor General
How do you now expect AZIKIWE to promote or sanction any courses that will facilitate the promotion of one he sees as rival.
The IBOs introduced tribalism into Nigeria military and others picked it up.
Wellington Bassey under the colonial era merited every position he got not under the tribalistic Nigeria Army thanks to the very unforgiving and vengeful Ibos
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by nsiba: 3:37pm On May 20, 2020
Dedetwo:

I am not interested in your NPC or AG or NCNC crap. When Royal Queen's Own Regiment was invoke, British ran the military. Even after Nigeria had gained independence, British and NPC ran Nigerian armed forces. There was no NCNC member as either the Prime Minister of Minister of Defense. In essence, the British and northern region political elites ran Nigerian armed forces. Eyo Ita was appointed leader of the government in what later became eastern region with the support of Ndigbo. It was unfortunate Eyo Ita proved to be a turncoat with respect to the formation of ACB and he was kicked out the leader of government. Be mindful that Eyo Ita was nowhere when the real estate became eastern region. Besides, many Ibibio peeps were leaders in eastern region.

AZIKIWE the chief tribal warlord was the most senior political office holder from eastern Nigeria, if a man that so schemed out an Ibibio civilian man for him to rise why would he sanction one in the military?
Just like what was happening in the Eastern Scholarship Board he made sure IBOs controlled every higher post!
Was the Nigeria Army funding itself or the Federal Government?
A man that vacated the position of the Premier of Eastern Nigeria to be President still made sure an IBO man succeeded him and still made another IBO to be Governor General
AZIKIWE - President
Michael Opara- Premier Eastern Region
Akanu Ibiam- Governor General
Aguiyi Ironsi- Head of State
OJUKWU- Governor General
How do you now expect AZIKIWE to promote or sanction any courses that will facilitate the promotion of one he sees as rival.
The IBOs introduced tribalism into Nigeria military and others picked it up.
Wellington Bassey under the colonial era merited every position he got not under the tribalistic Nigeria Army thanks to the very unforgiving and vengeful Ibos

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by nsiba: 3:39pm On May 20, 2020
Good to be back one stupid IPOB rat that couldn't contain d heat cried to d mods in their usual self pity mentality
Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by PanAC: 3:41pm On May 20, 2020
senatordave1:

Sorry,I suppose tag you.you are an intellectual.but I don't think a book written by njoku should be the only reasonable explanation.mind you,he also went to a course abroad so I don't see why his juniors should overtake him.sounds funny

The answer provided to you was a perfectly reasonable explanation but seems like you already have your own theory before you even asked the question.

Okay tell us what you feel the reason was

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by PanAC: 3:44pm On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

Wow... shocked shocked
"I don't think a book written by Njoku should be the only reasonable explanation". If it was written by one Adewale, would you have accepted it? We're matching you people now with every antics you present. We'll never overlook anything.
It was the British that handed the top position to Ironsi. Go and search the british archive for answers you tribalistic urchin.

Don’t mind the fool

1 Like

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Christistruth00: 3:54pm On May 20, 2020
Yujin:

According to Robin Luckham, Bassey was Commissioned in 1946 so it is likely his seniority was backdated from 1949. to 1946 since Bassey was already a Sergeant Major in 1944 when he fought in Burma during World War 2.

Isaac Fadoyebo in his book "Burma boy" also narrated an experience he and Wellington (Duke) U Bassey had during the second world war in 1944 at the battlefront in Burma by which time Bassey was already a Sergeant Major. Ironsi had only just joined the Army as a private 2 years earlier in 1942

Bassey's Army Career really suffered a lot from Zik and NCNCs tribal politics just to make sure Ironsi overtook him to become the most senior ranking Nigerian Officer.

Re: How Did General Ironsi Overtake Wellington Bassey In Rank? by Christistruth00: 4:20pm On May 20, 2020
senatordave1:
Late brigadier wellington was the first commissioned officer of the Nigerian army.he was commissioned 2 months before aguiyi ironsi and ademulegun were commissioned.I think his no was NA1 and WA1.he was senior to ironsi by a few months just as buhari was senior to ibb and abacha and they never overtook him in rank.how did ironsi become a major general before wellington? As the most senior officer in Nigerian army,the British general was supposes to handover to him when they left.what really happened? Oga metaphysical,you will be needed here.

Mynd44
Blackking
Fergie
Kyase
Blue3k
Naptu2
Lordviccoguru
Orientation
Pazienza
Udechid
Helinues
Gamelnasser
Omonnakada
Nsiba
Ifiokjohn

Can anyone who has the fear of God and calls on the name of Jesus Christ see the Army Seniority Bassey had over Ironsi and Ojukwu and truly believe he had not been cheated because he was a Eastern Minority Calabar man and therefore considered to be an Eyo-Ita boy ?
His Career was deliberately sabotaged by Zik and his allies in power!!!
According to Robin Luckham, Bassey was Commissioned in 1946 so it is even likely Wellington Duke Bassey's seniority was backdated from 1949. to 1946 because Bassey fought the 2nd World War in Burma as a Sergeant Major in 1944 , 2 years after Ironsi had joined the Army as a private in 1942.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Imo North: Federal High Court Affirms Ararume As APC Candidate / Disconnecting Customers’ Electricity Supply Without 10-day Notice Illegal - FG / I Have Never, Won't Run My Administration On Religious Bias, Tinubu Assures CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.