Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,645 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

Between The Mother And The First Son... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between The Mother And The First Son... (496 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Welcomes First Son / Sanusi’s First Son Joins Police (photo) / Omoodion - The Curse Of The Bini First Son! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between The Mother And The First Son... by Salliet(m): 6:57am On May 20, 2020
In preparation for funeral rites for a late father, between the mother and first son, who is to make decisions?

This is in the Nigerian context, kindly share your knowledge on this subject. Thank you
Re: Between The Mother And The First Son... by selfwife(f): 7:06am On May 20, 2020
In my own side, when a man dies, his first child carries the responsibility of the burial. If the first child is a female, her husband buys the coffin. I think it is believed that the grieve will be too much for the wife that's why the I children have to take responsibility for their father's burial .

1 Like

Re: Between The Mother And The First Son... by Salliet(m): 7:18am On May 20, 2020
selfwife:
In my own side, when a man dies, his first child carries the responsibility of the burial. If the first child is a female, her husband buys the coffin. I think it is believed that the grieve will be too much for the wife that's why the I children have to take responsibility for their father's burial .

What if the mother is able to pull herself together and has a preference over how the disposition of the remains should go? This is usually the case where there are wide difference in tribal and religious inclinations of either parties. What do you think?
Re: Between The Mother And The First Son... by Salliet(m): 7:21am On May 20, 2020
In my opinion, I think the Next Of Kin Hierarchy is key. I stand to be corrected...

In order to qualify as next of kin in this situation, a person must be over 18-years-old. The relationships listed below usually apply to biological, adoptive, half-, and step-relations equally.

Spouse/domestic partner

Children 

Parents

Siblings

Authorized guardian

Grandchildren

Great-grandchildren

Nieces and nephews

Grand-nieces and grand-nephews

Grandparents

Aunts and uncles

First cousins

Great-grandchildren of Grandparents

Second cousins

Fiduciary (a legally appointed trustee) 

In some states, a close friend who is familiar with the deceased’s wishes may qualify as next of kin if no one on the above list is available or able.
Re: Between The Mother And The First Son... by dawnomike(m): 8:00am On May 20, 2020
It all depends on the culture... In mine, it is the 1st son if he has come of age
Re: Between The Mother And The First Son... by selfwife(f): 2:22pm On May 20, 2020
Then she can continue. She can even sit by the graveside. Most people won't care again and her children will call her stubborn.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Most Famous Tribes In Africa / What Is The Craziest Thing You Have Done When You Were Broke / Chief Emeka Maduka, Legendary 'morocco' Maduka Is Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.