Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

The Legality Or Otherwise Of Landlord's Refusal To Refund Caution Fee. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Legality Or Otherwise Of Landlord's Refusal To Refund Caution Fee. (2335 Views)

Lady Damages Her Apartment After Landlord Refused To Refund Her Caution Fee / Landlord Orders Soldiers To Beat Tenants for Telling him to Refund Their Money / Edo Landlord Burns Down His House Over Tenants’ Refusal To Pay Rent (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Legality Or Otherwise Of Landlord's Refusal To Refund Caution Fee. by Treash(m): 5:26pm On May 21, 2020
Treash:
I was briefed by a friend, to discuss the trending issues between landlords and tenants especially on caution fees. It's quite expedient to discuss the generality of this fee to be payable by tenants and its essence.

Caution Fee is basically a security deposit which is determined by the landlord and usually held to ensure compliance with the use of the rented property. Therefore in case any damage occurs during the tenure of the tenancy, the cost of repairs will be deducted from the caution fee when the tenancy ends. If no damage is done, the caution fee will be refunded to the tenant in full. Several unscrupulous landlords have however taken undue influences on their tenants by refusing to make a refund of same after demand, even where no damage has been done on the property. It's however advisable that certain precautions should be taken by the prospective tenant before any payment is made to the landlord.

1. Lease Agreement: Prospective tenants are advisable to go through every line and wording of the tenancy agreement prepared by the landlord in that regard. If no tenancy agreement is available, tenants should kindly insist that a tenancy agreement be prepared in order to ascertain and reflect every money they're paying. As a tenant, do not hesitate to involve your personal solicitor to assist in going through the agreement and interpret same before signing. Also get a copy of the signed agreement.

2. Photographic evidence: As a prospective tenants, you are advisable to take a photo shoot of the physical status of the entire property, this will enable both parties to juxtapose the state of the property before entering and when leaving.

3. Property valuation: In some places, some tenants goes a long way to involve an unbias real estate valuer to access the condition of the property. The report of same might be attached to the tenancy agreement for reference purpose when leaving the apartment.

4. Make report of damages: Tenants are advisable to report any damage observed in the apartment, such as leaking roof, and electricity connection error; this will enable the landlord to take note of the damage.

5. Obtain permission to repair: The written consent of your landlord or his representative must be obtained before you carry out any substantial repair on the property.

Tenants are therefore at liberty to make a demand in writing for a refund of the caution fee when leaving or instruct their solicitor to do so. Where the landlord refuses to honor the request, such tenant can sue the landlord for a breach of contract.

Barr Ayo Adeolu Aderinto.

2 Likes

Re: The Legality Or Otherwise Of Landlord's Refusal To Refund Caution Fee. by Mrkcee(m): 5:33pm On May 21, 2020
Nice write up. These days most landlords don't refund the fee and even tenants don't bother asking.

This is an informative post. It deserves Frontpage so more audience could be the informed.

1 Like

Re: The Legality Or Otherwise Of Landlord's Refusal To Refund Caution Fee. by Eupatrid: 8:56pm On May 15, 2022
[quote author=Treash post=89806049][/quote]

I am currently on this caution fee matter with my landlord. On moving into the apartment the Landlord said I must deposit 10,000(NGN) refundable caution fee in case if I damage the property during my time of occupying it. I paid the 10,000(NGN) caution fee. Now I have moved to a new apartment and had Landlord's care taker check the apartment before I left, the care taker confirmed it intact. I told the Care Taker I will be taking the keys and return it once the landlord refunds the caution fee I paid. Taking the keys along is to ensure that my caution fee is paid back. For all I know, if the Landlord has access to his keys, he may be adamant in refunding me or someone may access the apartment in my absence and damage something. The Landlord is threatening that it is criminal for me to key his keys without handing them over to him and that he will report me to the police station.

(1) (Reply)

High Quality And Affordable Wall Tiles And Floor Tiles In Different Designs / Land For Sale @ Affordable Price In Ibadan / 200 Acres Of Land Beside Federal Poly Ilaro, Ogun State N400,000/acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.