Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,455 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 (76417 Views)

How To Route To Haiti With Nigeria Passport As Visa Free / What's The Cost Of Obtaining An International Passport In Nigeria? / International Passport In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by nedekid: 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:

Lies. Population is an advantage if well utilised. Besides, we have the resources.
Oga, if you divide our population by a quarter (ie 50m population and not 200m it is now) our gdp will be close to 18 to 20k usd.
Dont you know what that means?
Our gdp will be at par with some countries in Europe. Ideally if our population were 25m, you are talking of close to $40k gdp, then you can call Nigeria a mid-level rich country.
That is why those days in the 70ies and 80ties, we had British, Indian, American etc teachers in primary and secondary schools. Salaries were comparable to those abroad. As Nigeria got worse due to mismanagement and population growth, Ghanaians took over and later left as gdp fell further due to too much nacking and population explosion expecially in the North where they are not productive.
Remove Southern Nigeria from the north and watch Nigeria become rich overnight.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Legend44(m): 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
Dirty Country... Don't quote me wrong.. no country that's no dirty or corrupt but our country own worst.. abeg anyone with how much and procedures to run Canadian visa with work permit.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ednut1(m): 2:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
DAVE5:

Please remind us China's population again and how their economy is faring
that one na China. They had to. Control birth rate for many years too.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ajl: 2:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
Dididrumz:
Nigeria was once Great

No, Nigeria has never achieved greatness. Things were just not as bad as it is now and life was simple.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by aspiring44: 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
IBB started that bullshit with his SAP

The SAP brought us to our knees today.

Same thing buhari is doing borrowing left , right and centre .
If money borrowed is spent judiciously and not frittered away then the best await us , but if not sorry is our name.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Investnow2017: 2:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
NaijadrivaCars:

Given! But standard of living then and noe, which is better?

Forget about material acquisition many of which were not even existent then. People were living then, but people are just existing today cheesy
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by AhoadaRivers: 2:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
Divide the country and every regions start afresh with lessons learnt.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by SIRTee15: 2:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
Xisnin:

It is a shame.
I expected you to talk about real economics given how you started about "purchasing power"
but you ended up on baseless anecdotes just like others.
"Few coins" means nothing without adjusting for inflation.

How much was your father earning per month, you refused to state.
How many months did he work before paying for his car, you refused to state.
Was he from a death poor family without savings or his family were comfortable,
you didn't state.

Maybe it is not your fault, perhaps, he didn't tell you the whole story because economics
can be complicated.

Unfortunately, emotions can't fix economics.

Never in your miserable quote me again...
U this uncultured idiot.....
If u have no respect for your parents....
Keep it that way and don't cross that line with others....
Nonsense.....
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ajl: 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
Iscoalarcon:
IBB started that bullshit with his SAP

SAP idea was sold to IBB by IMF with the intention to destroy Nigeria's economy. It worked. Watch the video called "Confession of an Economic Hitman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btF6nKHo2i0

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Omo4omo(m): 2:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
OsuIgboIpob:
It will never be well with this old generation people.
Wicked GREEDY and wreckless people.

They detroyed everything for us.

Later, you'll be hearing children of today blablabla

Old fools.

CHILD said: My Dad did not work hard that is why he is not rich.
At least the child has started his own life . Let us wait and see....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by brownemmanuel43(m): 2:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
Another truth is that why is buhari always a failure, I believe that things got changed for worst. Before 2015 we all knew dollar to naira, was it not after 2015 that dollar is way ahead of naira.
Buhari and Afonjas why
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Realresk(m): 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
bigtt76:
You said it all. Not everyone could afford that N800 back then. How much was the minimum wage again? cheesy People should stop using the past to hurt themselves. We can't turn back the hands of time... Those days are gone and buried!

the

Tell. The bar man to get u whatever drink u want and take any pepper soup u like ... I would pay.
We have to understand.. yesterday is gone
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ajl: 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
aspiring44:

The SAP brought us to our knees today.

Same thing buhari is doing borrowing left , right and centre .
If money borrowed is spent judiciously and not frittered away then the best await us , but if not sorry is our name.

SAP is part of the tool used by western economies to dominate less developed countries. It has never worked for any of these countries.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by judedwriter(m): 2:55pm On Jun 05, 2020
MrNice001:
I HEARD THE OLD STORY THAT IF SUPER EAGLES WIN FIFA WORLD CUP, THERE WILL BE CHEAP NAIRA AT LOW PRICE RATES, TRUE?

Let them win the world cup first....that's if FIFA and biased officials will ever allow them.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by 9japride(m): 2:56pm On Jun 05, 2020
bigtt76:
You said it all. Not everyone could afford that N800 back then. How much was the minimum wage again? cheesy People should stop using the past to hurt themselves. We can't turn back the hands of time... Those days are gone and buried!

[color=#006600][/color]

Things were OK then. A brand new peugeot 504 was around N10,000. I am not too such, it might be less then. The middle class Nigerian were enjoying life. The military really destroyed this country backed by a certain region mentality to rule by all means.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Xisnin(m): 2:58pm On Jun 05, 2020
SIRTee15:

Never in your miserable quote me again...
U this uncultured idiot.....
If u have no respect for your parents....
Keep it that way and don't cross that line with others....
Nonsense.....
It is obvious you lack understanding, no wonder you couldn't ask the right questions.

An adult shouldn't be relying on "my father said" when discussing serious issues especially
when they don't even understand what their father actually said.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Chukwumajr(m): 3:00pm On Jun 05, 2020
Shame on our leaders, God will judge them all
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ajl: 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2020
bigtt76:

I don't agree with your comment that the past should be ignored. No successful nation ignored its past. Without appreciation of the events of the past, people are bound to make the same mistakes as before. It's this way of reasoning that make Nigeria govt removed history from school curriculum. These days we have people who do not know their left from their right. Please implants stories of the past in the hearts of your children but let them know that they are not to dwell in the past but to use knowledge of the past to shape their future.

Duteronomy 32:7
Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, your elders, and they will tell you.

Ecclesia.. 7:10
Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?” For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.

Roman 15:4
For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, .....
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by mignone(f): 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
Kekereekun123:
Buhari and Maradona na him cause all these. Still yet some fools were deceived into voting him in 2015
He appeared as d lesser evil.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Asour: 3:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
ednut1:
like he said more people less resources now. If the present Nigeria had 1/4 of its current population it would have been ok. But we keep fucking and giving birth

Unbridled population growth is the ache most Nigerians never talk about. It's rarely considered a pain point.
The economy is clearly not expanding at the rate of population growth. This resource Competition is our daily challenge (of course besides Corruption).
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
lordm:
Nigeria will be great again. It will take a lot of sacrifice though

Not in this life now bro
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Investnow2017: 3:05pm On Jun 05, 2020
justscorchone:
Since i was born till now I have not enjoyed the benefits of being a Nigerian
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Olawalelead(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
Naija my country...
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Kentursky(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2020
I still have my 1981 passport, same as this one. My dad took all of us to the UK for the first time in 1982, then Nigerians did not need visa to enter the UK.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by gospi: 3:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Vacancy

A female home tutor is needed at
Alawode Street off kilo bus stop. The street just before kilo bus stop when coming in from marshal round about, surulere, Lagos.
To teach two kids.One in Pry 1 and the other in Pry 4. They attend Evaron school.
Time 10am - 1pm( 1 hour 30mints each)

What qualifies you?
*Someone who stays close to the client's residence*

**You'll take an online assessment and be available on Monday or Tuesday (this week) for a one on one interview* .

*From the client*
I need a highly responsible female tutor to guide and assist my kids with their weekly online school work, complete class exercises and turn them in when due.

The school usually sends weekly time table with classroom work, videos, sometimes links to YouTube to watch specific videos, and assignments to work on and turn in on due dates.

Major channel is Google classroom and some times its live ....

Their rules from school are very stringent as I would say they show some consideration for parents some what.

I want a responsible female, organised, soft & well spoken but firm , children lover, patient, committed, Christian, good aura , knowledgeable.

Interested persons should chat me up privately (08160903487)
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Olawalelead(m): 3:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
michlins:
Truth is that exchange rate isn't a determinant of how good an economy is. For instance, Ghana cedis exchanges higher than the Chinese currency and Korean won and that doesn't mean Ghana has a better economy. Another example is the Kuwait Dina which exchanges for almost $1000/dinar. During the said time, very few people can afford to buy a car even when it sold for #4000. But we have folks buying used cars today for tens of millions.

Having said the above, it's undeniable that Nigeria didn't have potential back in the day. It's just that we had lots of petrodollars and less population and the government then was able to do her job without borrowing like today. Forget all the glorious tales our parents told us about how quick you can get jobs. That's because there were fewer graduates then. We need total overhaul of this country
You've said it all boss...
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Gbabe2: 3:10pm On Jun 05, 2020
michlins:
Truth is that exchange rate isn't a determinant of how good an economy is. For instance, Ghana cedis exchanges higher than the Chinese currency and Korean won and that doesn't mean Ghana has a better economy. Another example is the Kuwait Dina which exchanges for almost $1000/dinar. During the said time, very few people can afford to buy a car even when it sold for #4000. But we have folks buying used cars today for tens of millions.

Having said the above, it's undeniable that Nigeria didn't have potential back in the day. It's just that we had lots of petrodollars and less population and the government then was able to do her job without borrowing like today. Forget all the glorious tales our parents told us about how quick you can get jobs. That's because there were fewer graduates then. We need total overhaul of this country

I disagree with you Sir. Exchange rate is one of the determinants of how strong an economy is. We have the GDP, GNI, GNP, percapita income and likes that are periodically measured. Yes, 800 naira was difficult to come by then but their standard of living, the percapita income was great then. Till date, do you know how many Americans that can’t save 1000 USD? One of the problems we had/ or are having is that our leaders didn’t invest, create the atmosphere for a conducive and production friendly environment. The FY 20 budget of Maryland State with a population of less than 5 million is over 46billion USD.Did they invest in Power? Production plants? Infrastructure? Health? Academics? Farming? I doubt that. The main issue is that we procure almost everything abroad. Even our so called crude oil, we refine abroad. Naira is chasing few dollars interms of trade and buying. Americans have very few graduates compared to there population. Once you are a high school graduate, you can get a small job and start your life.
Let’s take Malaysia and UAE as an example. Do they have a friendly environment? Yes, they do.
Do you think people love to start all over in another country then? No. It was boring and not easy starting all over then. To think of the racism in the 80’s will deter you from nursing the idea.
In summary, if our leaders had invested in our economy, if there was adequate accountability, and the love of the nation at heart, Nigeria would have been a paradise on earth. Further, population is always a strength if used to our advantage.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by ajl: 3:14pm On Jun 05, 2020
Asour:

Unbridled population growth is the ache most Nigerians never talk about. It's rarely considered a pain point.
The economy is clearly not expanding at the rate of population growth. This resource Competition is our daily challenge (of course besides Corruption).

Population growth is not the problem but poor management and distribution of resources is main issue with Nigeria. Huge population demand that they are productive and add value to the economy. Go ask China how they are able to do this. Of course, there is some point legal population control is needed especially when economy growth rate is not meeting rate of population growth. China did this, and once it was out of the wood it stopped pursuing the one child per family policy as seriously as before.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by coronavirus19: 3:15pm On Jun 05, 2020
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by aspiring44: 3:17pm On Jun 05, 2020
ajl:

SAP is part of the tool used by western economies to dominate less developed countries. It has never worked for any of these countries.

The same was used in India and to some they invested heavily on their health and other sectors. You could see the level of our medical tourism to India is alarming.
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by coronavirus19: 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2020
cheesy hin dey yarn shit
DonMekino:
u believe this shit
Re: Nigeria Passport In 1982 When $1164.84 Was N800 by Smartypant: 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2020
michlins:

Having said the above, it's undeniable that Nigeria didn't have potential back in the day. It's just that we had lots of petrodollars and less population and the government then was able to do her job without borrowing like today. [b]Forget all the glorious tales our parents told us about how quick you can get jobs. That's because there were fewer graduates then. We need total overhaul of this country[/b]

One of the best posts I have read on NL in a while. The bold part is the biggest reason for the level of poverty in Nigeria. The country's economy is growing at 2 to 2.5 percent per year while the Population is growing at the rate of 6 to 7 percent.
When my Father graduated from University, he was the 2nd in the his family and one of the first in the whole town. They were begging him to come and join various govt Ministries. Now you have so many people graduating from glorified High schools and with fewer opportunities.
I know that China and India also had population explosion hence they also still have large percentage of their population that are still in poverty.
They have done better than Nigeria because their people have been able to come up with technologies that the rest of the world needs like IT and Machinery.
Until Nigerians to some extent are able to come up with goods and services that the world needs, don't expect any significant change in the over all standard of living in the country. Science is the KEY, not Churches and Mosques.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

China Opens ₦7.3trillion World’s Longest Sea Bridge Designed To Last 120 Years / Don't Come To The UK If You Are Guilty Of These 10 Things / G20 Summit: Donald Trump's Motorcade Vs Vladimir Putin's Motorcade In Japan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.