Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Need To Setup A Pc As A Dedicated Wireless Router For Private Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Need To Setup A Pc As A Dedicated Wireless Router For Private Network (650 Views)

Processor Speed Or Ram(random Access Memory): Which Determines Speed Of A Pc? / Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? / How To Block Some Websites On A PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Need To Setup A Pc As A Dedicated Wireless Router For Private Network by russelluke: 11:10pm On Jan 17, 2011
Hi, and thanks so much for taking the time.

I've been googling for days and have not gotten very far so I thought I would ask the experts. I really could use your help. My job and my ambitions for an NPO that has helped me already, depends on it.

I know this is technically illegal but it is for a nonprofit org that is struggling and needs to finance a small computer department that has been setup in South Africa. Allot of people do it here(share internet) and there is no fuss at all about wireless legalities and other legal technicalities with regards to ISP's in the country. I want to share a 4024Kbps ADSL internet connection with about 30 users in a spot that has no coverage for any wireless internet services and for those who simply can't afford to get a line and internet subscription. I will offer low speed wireless for a very low price and make a small profit to help fund the cost of having an internet connection and other services in the computer training room.

This is what I have at my disposal:

1x spare PC (to use as a router if necessary)
1x Netgear DG834GUv5 wireless router which also has 4 LAN ports
2x Wireless PCI adapters Ralink 802.11g
1x USB wireless adapter Ralink 802.11n
A very small(almost nonexistent) budget.

I know I'm presenting it from scratch and kind of throwing it all in raw here but so far the only solution I could think of was to use the PC as a wireless access point by somehow increasing the range of one of the wireless adapters. I am also stuck at how to get that signal to trasmit from the roof top. As far as using the existing Netgear router, the antenna doesn't seem to detach so I cant upgrade it and also wonder whether it will cope with more than 30 or more different connections. I also need the signal to stretch outdoors to about 2 kilometers effectively preferably omni directional to cater for all. And then I will need to install adapters in all the PC's that will subscribe hopefully in a way that I could attach a small cheap (maybe self made) outdoor antenna on their house. I was thinking of using modified wireless USB cards, so that I don't have to use a very strong signal that might interfere and attract trouble. Please help or atleast tell me if this is possible without having to buy expensive equipment that I can't afford.

Again thanks in advance!

(1) (Reply)

Just With N1500.00 You Get 8gb 24hrs/month No Down Time Or N2000.00 For 18gb 24h / Need A Clean Tokunbo/fairly Used Laptop! / Original Brand New 14" Laptop From Usa For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.