Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? (2345 Views)

Naija News: Woman Pretending To Be A Soldier Rearrested In Ondo / Real Life Tarzen Girl Grew Up In Jungles With Wild Animals: Pictures / Take One Minute To Read. Be Proud To Be African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by ladysteph: 6:51am On Jan 18, 2011
Have you met are know anyone that has African parents,eats the food, but aren't really proud to be African. They don't really plan on visiting their country and don't even hang around other Africans.

I even know young adult females(whose parents are Africans) say they find African men ugly. I also know a few young adult males(whose parents are African) say they find African women ugly . I know several classmates like this and they hide the fact or aren't very proud of the fact of being African.

I mean one doesn't exactly have to wear Africa on your sleeve, so to speak, but at least let others be aware of your orgins and culture.

Why is this? Who is to blame in this situation? I have also seen this with some young kids as well(elementary school & middle school). I just find it pathetic and quite sad undecided

Maybe it gets under my skin because I am proud to be African. grin

Please give me your two cents or if you seen similar situations.
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by MaJBlige(f): 8:00am On Jan 18, 2011
who gives a damn if they are proud or not? thats surely self denial.
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by iice(f): 6:37pm On Jan 18, 2011
ok ooo
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by tpia6: 3:27am On Jan 30, 2011
/
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by tpia6: 3:50am On Jan 30, 2011
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by manmustwac(m): 7:13pm On Feb 01, 2011
Those that do come back home to visit will be wearing designer clothes behaving like amerikaner and speaking with a fake american accent. They will be looking down at all the made in nigeria people as if they are all inferior to them.
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by Leyz04(m): 7:31am On Feb 06, 2011
I do not know about others,but as for i am very proud of my country,to the extent i do wear native to school on fridays,atimes on sundays. Most of my white friends admire me. I have spent 10years in US,i reside in houston,TX. I have visit so many places with my 'buba and sokoto' includn Vegas. I like being a black,and am proud of Nigeria. Hope you guys have complete your voters stuff,vote for right people. Good night i wana sleep
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by MaJBlige(f): 9:37am On Feb 06, 2011
Thumbs up Leyz04
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by african1(f): 6:48pm On Feb 06, 2011
I was born in the heart of the America, and I am proud to be African. Both my parents are from Africa, and of course I like American food and stuff, but I still know that I am African. I am even going to Africa this summer. cheesy
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by chikis(m): 4:05am On Feb 07, 2011
Poster, u 're violating nairaland rules: u are supposed to post dis thread in a correct topic which is no other but 'culture'.
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by Leyz04(m): 8:51am On Feb 07, 2011
Thanks J Blige
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by Leyz04(m): 9:31am On Feb 07, 2011
Thanks J Blige
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by tpavilon(f): 12:22pm On Feb 07, 2011
If they are ashamed to call themselves an african,my advise to them is to change their skin to that of MJ,even if they do that,they cannot change their blood. And if they view africans as ugly,that is because they are very ugly. I am proud of being an african. We rock,
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by DCAREW75po: 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2011
Hi All,
you really cant blame these stupid children the picture portrayed of Africa/ns in the Western World is not one to be really proud of. And a lot cannot seem to understand how our wonderful country is so backward in many aspects. All they ever show is the negative no food, no water, no light, poor governance and corruption, crime the list goes on.

And as you now ignmorance is a disease often these children do not take time to read why it is this way and make conclusions of their own but make conclusions arrived at by other s and what they saw and what they read.

Often some visit the country with so much expectation and leave with the most horrific experiences of the cosy lives , Sad story to be honest
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by tpia5: 5:57am On Jul 05, 2011
african1:

I was born in the heart of the America, and I am proud to be African. Both my parents are from Africa, and of course I like American food and stuff, but I still know that I am African. I am even going to Africa this summer.  cheesy

you dont sound so american.

you say you were raised there?
Re: Children Of African Parents Who Grew Up In America,pretending Not To Be African? by davidiyke(m): 9:41am On Jul 05, 2011
[quote][/quote] I HAVE SO MANY ONYEWU'S BORN IN THE USA AND THEY ARE ALL PROUD TO BE NIGERIANS. THEY NEVER DENY THEIR ORIGIN EVEN THOUGH THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ACCEPTANCE IN THEIR PLACES OF BIRTH. SOME OF THEM OWN GREAT PROPERTIES IN NAIJA LIKE THE PICS BELOW. SO LETS HAIL THE PATRIOTIC ONES.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Foreign Inmates Let Meet Here. / The Duties Of Both Red And Green Chamber / Do You Live In Ebonyi/kaduna?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.