Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,224 members, 7,825,857 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Isoko Names And Their Meaning - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isoko Names And Their Meaning (42486 Views)

Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by linearity: 6:32pm On May 13, 2022
Tejirhee:
Please could you help me with the meaning of EMAMUZO??

Yes, it's literal translation is Good head....but, it actually means Good luck.

An Isoko synonymy for Emamuzo is Uzoezi/Uzezi, which also can literal translated to Good head, but it actually means Good luck.
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by linearity: 6:37pm On May 13, 2022
darfay:

I'm looking up to God... That's actually urhobo tho
@Satoshi2019
I would think Oghenemine is 'God here are mine'....but I might be rendering it from an Isoko equivalent?
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by linearity: 6:42pm On May 13, 2022
whitemosquito:
What is delight in isoko? Or pleasure?

This is very difficult, especially if you think that, there is a difference between pleasure and happiness/joy.

Joy/happiness is Oghogoho and that could also go for pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by linearity: 6:45pm On May 13, 2022
corpershun:

Please What of Oghenemurevi and Oghenemairo?

I am drawing a blank on 'Oghenemurevi' maybe it is my inability to pronounce.

However, Oghenemairo means God is Great....or literally God is Greater!

1 Like

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Odemeode5: 11:29am On May 17, 2022
Òghènè Fejiro - God is worthy of praise
Òghènèrotejiri - God is big enough to be praised

1 Like

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Odemeode5: 11:48am On May 17, 2022
linearity:

This is very difficult, especially if you think that, there is a difference between pleasure and happiness/joy.

Joy/happiness is Ughogoho and that could also go for pleasure.
Please it’s not Ughogoho, but Oghòghò. By the way it does not mean pleasure either
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by linearity: 12:07pm On May 17, 2022
Odemeode5:

Please it’s not Ughogoho, but Oghòghò. By the way it does not mean pleasure either

Yes, it is Oghogho, as stated I said it is happiness or joy.

And in English, there is a difference between pleasure and happiness, but in Isoko I doubt if there is a separate word for ‘pleasure’.

If I want to express pleasure in Isoko, I will use Oghogho and most people would too…..However, if you think there is another word for pleasure you can state it.
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by darfay: 4:26pm On Jul 16, 2022
4kc:
OP what is Oghenerutejiri. Is is Oghenerutejiro

That's looks somehow like urhobo or broken isoko but the proper isoko version is oghenefejiro "God is worth to be praised"
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Prettygirl200(f): 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2022
Wow am an isoko girl I love the piece my name is even there. Thank u!!
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Prettygirl200(f): 8:23am On Jul 22, 2022
EmekaA125:
Isoko is Igboland.

In fact, by majority ethnic domination, all minority tribes in SouthSouth are Igbo.
Godforbid!!!! Isoko can nervr be Igbo land oga, pls take your conclusions elsewhere. Na every tribe for the country una wan turn to Igbo, muteeewwww

3 Likes

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by 4kc(m): 12:04pm On Aug 02, 2022
darfay:

That's looks somehow like urhobo or broken isoko but the proper isoko version is oghenefejiro "God is worth to be praised"

Thanks.. I eventually used Oghenefejiro

1 Like

Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Tohsynetita1: 10:15pm On Aug 02, 2022
Please, I need a versed Urhobo speaker for a gig online, message me on Whatsapp 080 3154 two 5 09
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by lte987: 8:38am On Sep 25, 2022
Please can anyone help me with the name: Urhobo meaning of AKPOHWOFADAYEN?

Urhobo girls name - help with the meaning of this name in full? and also help with the short/parts, their refer to...?

Akpohwofadayen
Akpoh and/or Akpohwo
fadayen

I know AKPO refers to life / world...but cannot find any reference/link/meaning or explanation to the rest of the name...

i seem to find info of the name in parts like AKPO = life/world then OHWO = roughly/loosely means kind of 'provides' but nothing for FADAYEN at all!!

I was told once that the significance of the name means in urhobo something like 'the world is jealous of you'? but that is not it literal translation

Urhobo (including Isoko) that The Edo, Itsekiri, Kwale, Ika Igbo and Ijaw language can cross sometimes and I was wondering if this name is known to you or its similar version and what it means please?

thanks.
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by nuvieak(f): 1:34pm On Oct 27, 2022
Good day, please what is favour translated to isoko Gods favoured
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by THECHIEF: 4:31pm On Nov 02, 2022
This is really nice. I am Isoko but truly I didn’t know the meaning of most of these names. It’s most enlightening. Am looking for a good, sweet one to give my wife. She’s from Akwa Ibom, her name is “Comfort”. She has asked me to give her a lovely Isoko name, it’s been over 4yrs now and I still am yet to come up with one that sits well with me in my heart. Sigh! Will be grateful for good suggestions … something sweet, peaceful, supportive, blissful would be nice �

Thanks OP for the post. God bless.
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by gama99: 2:22pm On Jun 20, 2023
What isoko name can you give to twins... boys
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Ozak: 7:20am On Aug 26, 2023
pls what's is the meaning of OZAKPONO it's an isoko name
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Feyii: 7:58pm On Sep 17, 2023
Hello. I don't know if this thread is still active. But please is there an isoko female name that translates to " God's life" or "God's breathe"
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by Probz(m): 10:42pm On Sep 19, 2023
gama99:
What isoko name can you give to twins... boys

Hopefully those boys don’t go galavanting around causing too much trouble. Twin boys can be something else. Just ask Zack and Cody.
Isoko culture I don’t think has ever outright spoken about twins in any capacity (I mean, it could be completely wrong) but twins are still individual people at the end of the day. They can’t come and be Edeki together like a pair of ugly Siamese twins whose mum only wants them to extract baby-bone for jollof rice. I’d just take it to God and pray that those boys are worth the umbilical cord being cut. That’s all I’m saying.
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by sylve11: 6:51am On Oct 02, 2023
EmekaA125:
Isoko is Igboland.

In fact, by majority ethnic domination, all minority tribes in SouthSouth are Igbo.

Stop talking nonsense. angry cool
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by kayuse20: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2023
Please help me with the meaning of EREZIWOSA
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by kayuse20: 7:51pm On Dec 14, 2023
kayuse20:
Please help me with the meaning of EREZIWOSA
Re: Isoko Names And Their Meaning by FireUpNow(m): 7:33am On Mar 31
Tejirhee:
Please could you help me with the meaning of EMAMUZO??

Mamuzo for short and it means good head or better head

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alawe Reports Alaafin To Seyi Makinde, Calls Him An Interlopper / Alaafin’s Unfulfilled Plans Before His Death / Emami Presents Fake Ologbotsere Insignias To Olu Of Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.