Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa (297 Views)

China Imposes Travel Restrictions, Fears Foreigners Will Bring Back Coronavirus / BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary / Monkeypox: Averting Another Epidemic In Nigeria (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:36pm On May 25, 2020
Africa has so far been spared the worst impact of the coronavirus, but World Health Organisation is worried the continent could face a “ silent epidemic ” if its leaders fail to prioritise testing for it.
“ My first point for Africa , my first concern , is that a lack of testing is leading to a silent epidemic in Africa .
“ So, we must continue to push leaders to prioritise testing , ” WHO Special Envoy Samba Sow, told a news conference in Geneva on Monday .
The WHO’ s director- general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said Africa was the region with the fewest diagnosed coronavirus cases, accounting for less than 1. 5 per cent of the global total and just 0.1 per cent of deaths .
The WHO regional director for Africa , Matshidiso Moeti , said some countries had taken measures to curb the disease at a high economic cost .
Those measures meant the pandemic was having a milder impact so far than some models had predicted, Moeti said .
Tedros credited the continent’s experience dealing with other epidemics as helping it scale up its response to the coronavirus and be spared the impact seen elsewhere so far .
All African countries had preparedness plans in place, he said , although there were still “ gaps and vulnerabilities” .

source: https://punchng.com/who-fears-silent-covid-19-epidemic-in-africa/

Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by PureGoldh(m): 10:41pm On May 25, 2020
Dx people should mellow down and stop casting yeye spell pon Africa.

We go dey alright...No be we be China wey chop the meat
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by mymadam(m): 10:42pm On May 25, 2020
WHO... why the contradictions?
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by Righteousness89(m): 11:05pm On May 25, 2020
It Shall not Stand! Neither shall it come to pas!

WHO your Virus you see Follow you and Fall on you!

1 Like

Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by thesicilian: 11:07pm On May 25, 2020
I bet they must be surprised as to why their prediction concerning streets in Africa littered with bodies hasn't come true till now.
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by duro4chang(m): 11:12pm On May 25, 2020
If this WHO makes me angry I will say bad thing about it.
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by chatinent: 11:14pm On May 25, 2020
I strongly believe World Powers do not want this pandemic to end so soon.
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by Jamesbiodun(m): 11:33pm On May 25, 2020
they are mad
Re: WHO Fears ‘silent’ COVID-19 Epidemic In Africa by SmartProf(m): 11:37pm On May 25, 2020
There is nothing silent about a pandemic in the mould of Covid 19, so the WHO shouldn't expect Africans to drop dead in the streets as earlier predicted. It appears by some form of uniqueness, Africa hasn't had some terrible death news headlines. WHO should rather encourage our government to strengthen the public health system, while encouraging massive orientation on preventive strategies and research.

(1) (Reply)

A Solution For Malaria / Remedy For Poison / Health Benefits Of Gorontula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.