Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,116 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Africa Day 2020 – UN Secretary General Message To Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Africa Day 2020 – UN Secretary General Message To Africa (287 Views)

Russia Admits Striking Ukraine During UN Secretary-general’s Visit / Donald Trump Sends Get Well Message To Joe Biden After Foot Injury / Barack Obama Hails Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie Ahead Of Visit To Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Africa Day 2020 – UN Secretary General Message To Africa by somtookeke(m): 1:51am On May 26, 2020
I welcome the African Union’s support for my call for a global ceasefire to fight the COVID-19 pandemic – an imperative that also reflects the AU’s 2020 theme: “Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions for Africa’s Development.” Armed groups in Cameroon, Sudan and South Sudan have responded to the call and declared unilateral ceasefires. I implore other armed movements and governments in Africa to do likewise. I also welcome the support of African countries for my call for peace in the home, and an end to all forms of violence, including against women and girls.

About 20 African countries are scheduled to hold elections this year, some of which will be postponed due to the pandemic, with potential consequences for stability and peace. I urge African political actors to engage in inclusive and sustained political dialogue to ease tensions around elections and uphold democratic practices.

The United Nations has just issued a policy brief outlining the impacts of the pandemic on Africa. We are calling for debt relief and action to maintain food supplies, protect jobs and cushion the continent against lost income and export earnings. African countries, like everyone, everywhere, should also have quick, equal and affordable access to any eventual vaccine and treatment. African governments, like all those around the world, can also use this moment to shape new policies that bolster health systems, improve social protection and pursue climate-friendly pathways.

Coined from Speakersden

Read Full Story , by clicking link below...

https://speakersden2..com/2020/05/africa-day-2020-un-secretary-general.html

(1) (Reply)

White Supremacist Group Poses As Antifa On Twitter / Mother And Daughter Graduates As Doctors / Black Republican Senator Condemns Trump’s White Power Retweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.