Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God (346 Views)

Nigerians In The US Reject Bishop Ross Because He Believes In Homosexuality / Catholic Church Believes In Separation From Bed, Not Divorce - Father Oluoma / Mike Bamiloye: Witchcraft Made Me Go Into Production Of Christian Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by kobobay(m): 9:49am On May 27, 2020
Jon Steingard, lead singer of the Christian rock band Hawk Nelson, regretfully announced on Instagram last week that he no longer believes in God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUHBPRgg5Gs

“I’ve been terrified to post this for a while – but it feels like it’s time for me to be honest,” Steingard said in the caption prefacing his lengthy Instagram post. “I hope this is not the end of the conversation, but the beginning. I hope this is encouraging to people who might feel the same but are as afraid to speak as I am. I want to be open. I want to be transparent with you all – and also open to having my heart changed in the future. I am not looking for a debate at all – just a chance to share my story in the hopes some good can come from it. I love you all.”

According to Steingard, he always had an inherent problem with Evangelical Christian culture, even as a child growing up in a pastor’s home, which then blossomed into a problem with the Bible itself as he grew into adulthood.

“I remember being uncomfortable with certain things,” he said in his youth. “Praying in public always felt like some kind of weird performance art. Emotional cries such as ‘Holy Spirit come fill this place’ always felt clunky and awkward leaving my lips. A youth conference I attended encouraged every team to sign a pledge that they would ‘date Jesus’ for a year. It felt manipulative and unsettling to me. I didn’t sign it.”

Despite those concerns in his youth, he still ended up pursuing music and genuinely found some peace with the band Hawk Nelson. However, as time grew on, Steingard increasingly had trouble with the concept of evil.

“If God is all loving, and all powerful, why is there evil in the world? Can you not do anything about it? Does he choose not to? Is the evil in the world a result of his desire to give us free will? OK then what about famine and disease and floods and all the suffering that isn’t caused by humans in our free will? If God is loving, why does he send people to hell?” were all questions that plagued him.

Steingard then attacked what he felt were contradictions between the Old and New Testaments.

“Why does God seem so pissed off in most of the old testament, and then all of a sudden he’s a loving father in the New Testament? Why does he say not to kill, but then instruct Israel to turn around and kill men women and children to take the promised land? Why does God let Job suffer horrible things just to win a bet with Satan? What does he tell Abraham to kill his son and then basically say ‘just kidding! That was a test.’ If God can do anything, can’t you forgive without someone dying? I mean, my parents taught me to forgive people – nobody dies in that scenario,” he wrote.

As reported by Fox News, various Christian singers, from Jeremy Camp to Mike Donehey, reached out to Steingard in loving support.

“Love you bro. Always will,” said Jeremy Camp.

“Man I love that you shared this. You know I’m always around to talk about our belief in God or lack thereof. Love you and always will,” said Mike Donehey.

“To echo so many others here, I have nothing but love in my heart for your old friend,” said Matt Hammitt.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/lead-singer-of-christian-rock-band-hawk-nelson-says-he-no-longer-believes-in-god
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by StarFist(m): 9:51am On May 27, 2020
Ok.. Weldone
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by GOFRONT(m): 9:53am On May 27, 2020
grin
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by mrjaydee(m): 9:57am On May 27, 2020
That's his own personal problem
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by Dreal1247: 10:06am On May 27, 2020
He was an entertainer who never had personal encounter or conviction. A lesson to all Christians. Don't build your Christian life on the foundation of another man's salvation. This is common with pastors' children who never got born again before. They feign receiving salvation to appease the parents and the people. Some are gradually dying from inside as a result of it. When you get to our tertiary institutions, you see most of them so wildly displaying their true characters. That is why the Bible admonishes everyone to work out his salvation with fear and trembling.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by kobobay(m): 10:25am On May 27, 2020
Salvation is personal decision. You can't ride on the colt tail of another person even your parents.

My personal assertion about this guy is, he was never saved to begin with. There is no clear testimony of salvation in all his rant.

John 1:12, Romans 10:13.

3 Likes

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by dulux07(m): 10:54am On May 27, 2020
For those above me, It is you guys that are saved undecided typical so called Nigeria xtians.
As xtians there are times you just feel like giving up, and start asking ?s (even Jesus wanted to) when such happens to people, you embrace and encourage them, not assume they were not saved before and judge them, Peter was with Jesus for 3years yet he still denied him.

At least you saw the response of other xtians in the post, Jeremy camp and others, compare it to yours undecided

1 Like

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by dulux07(m): 10:55am On May 27, 2020
[quote author=dulux07 post=90009567]
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by Greatzeus(m): 11:39am On May 27, 2020
That's his own cup of tea.Now that he longer believes in God did heaven fall? Life is full of choices,you make the choice and reap the consequences.
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by tesseract: 11:40am On May 27, 2020
Old story... But still worthwhile. Apostasy is real, and no one should say apostates fell because they didn't really know Christ initially.

The truth is that Life's storms hits differently and people react to them Differently. Jesus told Peter that Satan planned to sieve him, but He reassured Peter that He had prayed for him.

If someone like Peter wasn't immune from apostasy, then nobody is. I do pray that God shows mercy on Steingard and help him find his way back to the Faith. undecided
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by judedwriter(m): 1:30pm On May 27, 2020
Ignorance is really very bad...

When God created man, He gave Him power and authority to govern all what happens on the earth.

Unfortunately, man lost that authority to the devil. It's the devil who control most of what happens on earth, but the devil is limited by God's power in believers which Jesus restored to the church by the Holy Spirit.

When the rapture occurs, the devil will be released from his leash and all hell will break loose as the power of God in believers will be lifted.

In a nutshell the world is full of evil, because the devil is the god of this world but God has given man His power to restrict the evil and establish His will on earth.
Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by kingxsamz(m): 2:22pm On May 27, 2020
Reality finally dawned on him.
Forty years from now, most people will realize that there's no God.
There's no rapture. And no super human will descend from the sky to take you to some imaginary paradise.

2 Likes

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by CAPSLOCKED: 2:30pm On May 27, 2020
THOSE WHO KNOW ME KNOW THAT I'VE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT OVER 90% OF RELIGIOUS LEADERS, PASTORS, AND CHRISTIAN SINGERS DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.
THEY ONLY DO WHAT THEY DO USING GOD'S NAME BECAUSE IT FETCHES THEM A LOT OF MONEY FROM THEIR FOLLOWERS THAT ARE BEING DECEIVED.

2 Likes

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by kingxsamz(m): 2:34pm On May 27, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
THOSE WHO KNOW ME KNOW THAT I'VE ALWAYS MAINTAINED THAT OVER 90% OF RELIGIOUS LEADERS, PASTORS, AND CHRISTIAN SINGERS DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.
THEY ONLY DO WHAT THEY DO USING GOD'S NAME BECAUSE IT FETCHES THEM A LOT OF MONEY FROM THEIR FOLLOWERS THAT ARE BEING DECEIVED.

None of them hears from any God, and they know it.
They just have to keep up with the act because a lot of people look up to them. And also, the money involved.

2 Likes

Re: Lead Singer Of Christian Rock Band Hawk Nelson Says He No Longer Believes In God by GreatAchiever1: 11:33am On May 28, 2020
I just saw it dis morning and it's quite sad, but I like the band response to him, God is still for us all.

(1) (Reply)

Note: This Is what we do when we attack "human satan" / Kikuyu (Israelite) Elders Praying For Kenya At Mount Zion (Mt Kenya) / Sinach And Husband Share Romantic Messages To Celebrate Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.