Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:27 AM

The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. (35932 Views)

FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s / Nigerian Funk And Pop Songs Of The 1970s, '80s and 1990s / Japp: 'Everywhere' - Lord's Chosen Hip-Hop Music Video! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 04, 2020
naptu2:

A lot of rumours sprang up in Nigeria because of that song. Some gossip magazines in Nigeria claimed that the song was directed at his father because his father wanted him to focus on dentistry and forget about music. There were all kinds of rumours flying around.

He started out as rapper who could toast in a reggae/raga style, but he later switched to full time singing. He had several hits in the 1990s, but most of his later hits were not rap songs and that’s why they are not on the first page.

This song is one of his best songs. The song was originally done by the Jamaican band Uhuru in 1979. Uhuru was one of the most famous Jamaican bands and its members included Sly and Robbie, the most famous Jamaican production team.

Dr Alban teamed up with Micheal Rose, who is a former member of Uhuru, for this version of the song in 1997.

Dr Alban later teamed up with his cousin Charly Boy, to create a totally Nigerian version of the song (it was in Pidgin English). That version was released in the early 2000s.

Dr Alban ft Michael Rose – Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner (Carolina)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTJ3LQ8TrM
Oh shocked
Thank you for this. Seems like music is in their gene if he is related to area father.

I know this song kiss
You know, i recently noticed that the only tv or radio stations i love are the ones thats dedicated to oldies songs and videos. I listen to the song a lot on fm.

You really are into music a lot.
Kindred spirit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 04, 2020
Angelfrost:

P-Square tried in this jam, but forget it... Alaye's rap was simply the truth!!!....

This nation was on an upward rap trajectory: Alaye, Freestyle, Da Capo, Alabai, Blaise, Jesse Jagz, Eva Alordiah, Terry, etc...

How did everything go belly up?!
They were impatient.
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 2:45pm On Jun 05, 2020
eaglechild:
Jide Obi
Chris Okotie
Alex O

Had some bangers

Check out this thread for videos of songs by Kris Okotie, Jide Obi and others. https://www.nairaland.com/3439718/list-150-greatest-nigerian-songs/13#87578145

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by richiemcgold: 10:12pm On Jun 05, 2020
I'm somehow disappointed that nobody has mentioned some great oldies like Alex O's banana, Baby walakolombo. And there was a popular rapper in late 80 known as Daniel Wilson (original bad boy aka mr ragamuffin). all these guys and their songs were very popular back then.

2 Likes

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 2:16am On Jun 06, 2020
richiemcgold:
I'm somehow disappointed that nobody has mentioned some great oldies like Alex O's banana, Baby walakolombo. And there was a popular rapper in late 80 known as Daniel Wilson (original bad boy aka mr ragamuffin). all these guys and their songs were very popular back then.

Those are not rap songs. Alex O was a pop singer. I've posted his videos on many threads, but he is not a rapper. This thread is about rap music. Daniel Wilson was a ragga toaster and singer. He was not a rapper.
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by dammyhittisback: 8:07am On Jun 06, 2020
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by KingAzubuike(f): 4:15pm On Jun 14, 2020
DenreleDave:
J2381 (Agbaya ) grin and ishilove (omode alarifin) grin fighting for FTC

Abeg who should have it??
Michael, don't make me band you.
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 3:15am On Jun 16, 2020
Tyna Onwudiwe - Lyte Low (1991).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYofQ0kVhrs
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 1:59am On Jun 21, 2020
naptu2:
I still can't find Dream Come True (Segun Arinze ft Esse Agesse), but this is still available.

Segun Arinze - Moonlight Dance (1992).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9P8v7YGQY

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 22, 2020
Tyna Onwudiwe - Rough
(Lagos blues)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6MH6K1d0Y

This is an old rap song. @naptu, What year was it released?
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 1:11am On Jun 23, 2020
raptex:
Tyna Onwudiwe - Rough
(Lagos blues)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6MH6K1d0Y

This is an old rap song. @naptu, What year was it released?

1991 or 1992. It's part of her Afrikan Oyibo album, along with Lyte Low and Black On Black that I posted above.

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by joseph1832(m): 12:23am On Jul 09, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h_1hLUx3fM

Surfing through youtube and found this. Men I love this song. Can't help but wonder what happened to those guys. Even Basket Mouth impressed me.

Wow.
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by OlaQudex: 4:09am On Jul 15, 2020
For over six years that I've spent on naira land, I never thought a topic could be so relatably engaging that I'd look through from its first to the very last page.

Such a great work, sire Naptu... My respect for you is boundless...

Thanks for the memories...

Howbeit, I'm surprised no one mentioned R & B songs like Bolatito - Segun Agbede and that song lyrically spelt - Ma se bi nu Simi o, there's no one like you... ma see bi nu Simi o, no one left for me o...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by Kobicove(m): 7:04pm On Jul 19, 2020
Onyi22:
Indomie generation stay off this post

Are you not part of Indomie generation?! shocked
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 2:49am On Oct 01, 2020
naptu2:
I was looking for a very famous old video of Fela addressing people on the streets of Lagos, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Guess what I found instead?

I have been searching for this song for a long time and I resumed searching for it earlier this year but I had no luck.

She actually personally got permission from Fela in order to do this song and this was her very first hit.

You can (of course) here the bass and horns of Fela's "Look and Laugh" on the track. There's a part of the song in which she complained that the exchange rate was 120 naira to a pound.

Weird MC - Allen Avenue (1996).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0k4zzC0xE4

1 Like

Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by novakane(m): 12:18am On Aug 08, 2022
[quote author=naptu2 post=90896955][/quote] you're not alone. I really loved that song
Re: The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. by naptu2: 4:07pm On Nov 09, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olamide - Duro Soke [official Video Download] / Janet Jackson's "Made For Now" Yoruba Dialet Infused / Kimora - "GIRLFRIEND": Stephanie Otobo's Music Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.