Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka (4197 Views)

Kenneth Okonkwo Dazzles Everyone In A Recent Television Interview �� / Ajibola Basiru: Buhari Pushing 1964 Northern Nigeria Decree On Cow Grazing Route / 25 Points From Interview Of ANN Presidential Aspirant, Olawepo Hashim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by philiancoop(m): 9:20pm On May 30, 2020
great...our fathers
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Sunmolar(m): 9:28pm On May 30, 2020
how has the articulate use of foreign language help our development as a nation.

China on my mind.

shior
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by DAramis: 9:43pm On May 30, 2020
omonnakoda:
WERE men
Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 9:46pm On May 30, 2020
DAramis:

Thanks for the correction.
It is a Minus (sic) thing
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by DAramis: 10:23pm On May 30, 2020
omonnakoda:

It is a Minus (sic) thing
I don't understand cry

As I didn't study English like Prof wole soyinka, can you break your last statement down? embarassed
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 10:25pm On May 30, 2020
DAramis:

I don't understand cry

As I didn't study English like Prof wole soyinka, can you break your last statement down? embarassed
it's a small thing
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by DAramis: 10:30pm On May 30, 2020
omonnakoda:
it's a small thing
Okay, Gracias.
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by rosy02(f): 10:42pm On May 30, 2020
MEN OF SUBSTANCE
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Mightyhaiz: 10:56pm On May 30, 2020
What now happened?

So much confidence and intellect... Boys in their early thirties ,running things with confidence on a national level..

Seriously we need to find out what happened to us..

3 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by selemempe: 11:34pm On May 30, 2020
omonnakoda:
Funny how Achebe predicts what has about to happen to his people in 3 years time in discussing the tragedy of the "strongman " that won't bend
yes i noticed that. The igbos seem embodied in okonkwo. A man who will rather commit suicide than bend to tyrant.

In your opinion, what do you think about that igbo character
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 12:26am On May 31, 2020
selemempe:
yes i noticed that. The ibos seem embodied in okonkwo. A man who will rather commit suicide than bend to tyrant.

In your opinion, what do you think about that ibo character
Well ,his clansmen had bent went he was in exile .

Yoruba say
Moja Mosa laa n mo akinkanju
Know how to fight
Know how to flee
That's the one that's truly brave
This statement refers to starting fights

My take is Ibos developmentally never evolved any form of political administration beyond the village level.

They have little understanding of statecraft and often act individually in an impulsive way heedless of consequences and unable to restrain their egos.

Those traits that serve very well for village level politics are destructive at the national level when facing larger and better organised adversaries .

Okonkwo personifies a strong Individual incapable of subordinating his pride and ego to reality

Same as we saw with Ojukwu in 1967 and more recently Nnamdi Kanu

2 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by BigIyanga: 12:55am On May 31, 2020
omonnakoda:
To be fair to our generation the NIGERIAN ACCENT HAS DEVELOPED along a different trajectory since the colonialists left.

I think we should celebrate it.

If you listen to the recordings of that generation there was little trace of what is now recognised as a Nigerian accent .
In this recording the Nigerians didn't sound much different from the South African
Bear in mind that Soyinka's training was in drama and I would imagine than entails voice training at an intense level
If you listen to later recordings of Achebe,Soyinka and Ojukwu you would see that they changed over time without necessarily losing clarity .

I don't think we should go back to that.

Just like Americans diverged from their original British accents with time we have diverged from the colonial accent
But they pronounced words correctly without butchering their meaning unlike today’s celebrities, artists, artistes, and journalists
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 1:06am On May 31, 2020
BigIyanga:

But they pronounced words correctly without butchering their meaning unlike today’s celebrities, artists, artistes, and journalists
First I don't know what you mean by correctly.

You are not comparing like with like.

Wole Soyinka was a University lecturer of literature ,a playwright and dramatist
Buhari is of the same Generation
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by budaatum: 1:11am On May 31, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Intellectuals like Wole Soyinka,Chinua Ichebe should have been the ones running the country after we got independence in 1960.

Instead we got the OBJ,IBB,Abacha,Abdusalami,Buhari,GEJ and yet we wonder why the country is a failed state.
If they had run for office our people would have said their oyinbo too plenty, and wouldn't have voted for them, I bet.

2 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by thatigboman: 1:12am On May 31, 2020
omonnakoda:

First I don't know what you mean by correctly.

You are not comparing like with like.

Wole Soyinka was a University lecturer of literature ,a playwright and dramatist
Buhari is of the same Generation
buhari is a professor too? Where's his WAEC abi Cambridge?

1 Like

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Africana1123(m): 1:58am On May 31, 2020
3wise men

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Haywhysat: 7:28am On May 31, 2020
Wow, this is wonderful
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:33am On May 31, 2020
EVILFOREST:

That's to show you how far we have DETERIORATED.
IF you hear OJUKWU speak, you will be marvelled.
The striking thing is that Ojukwu spoke Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa fluently.
These were INTELLIGENT MEN...
IF you hear TAFAWA BALEWA speak, you would wonder how people from that side voted Buhari into power..

Tafawa Balewa was sound upstairs....
See Confidence and Comportment.
Abeg how did we degenerate to this stage...? cry cry cry cry cry

Watching this propelled tears down my face, especially when I remember some governors that have traversed some states across Nigeria.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Lies... Did I hear u say Agbariojuwku spoke yoruba fluently...

Pls upload a video of Agbariojuwku speaking yoruba abeg
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:36am On May 31, 2020
Yoruba VS ehboes

Universal Nobel winner VS Biafra version nobel winner
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by IDeyFlogAllah(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2020
I would say that the strongly individualistic nature of Igbo precolonial societies actually worked better for them than the supposedly better organized societies that existed elsewhere.

I mean let's be serious, monarchy as it is practiced in both pre and post colonial Africa is simply a wasteful and prohibitively expensive style of governance with latent dictatorial tendencies.

The present sorry state of politics in Igbo land has more to do with the warped and inverted value system that ALL Nigerian politicians operate under, regardless of tribe or ethnicity.

omonnakoda:
Well ,his clansmen had bent went he was in exile .

Yoruba say
Moja Mosa laa n mo akinkanju
Know how to fight
Know how to flee
That's the one that's truly brave
This statement refers to starting fights

My take is Ibos developmentally never evolved any form of political administration beyond the village level.

They have little understanding of statecraft and often act individually in an impulsive way heedless of consequences and unable to restrain their egos.

Those traits that serve very well for village level politics are destructive at the national level when facing larger and better organised adversaries .

Okonkwo personifies a strong Individual incapable of subordinating his pride and ego to reality

Same as we saw with Ojukwu in 1967 and more recently Nnamdi Kanu

2 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 8:15am On May 31, 2020
IDeyFlogAllah:
I would say that the strongly individualistic nature of Igbo precolonial societies actually worked better for them than the supposedly better organized societies that existed elsewhere.

I mean let's be serious, monarchy as it is practiced in both pre and post colonial Africa is simply a wasteful and prohibitively expensive style of governance with latent dictatorial tendencies.

The present sorry state of politics in Igbo land has more to do with the warped and inverted value system that ALL Nigerian politicians operate under, regardless of tribe or ethnicity.

That is a fallacious representation of history

If you think of Iboland as a palm kernel with a core and periphery

There were monarchies in the periphery as a result of conquests from external powers

Onitsga,Eri,Arochukwu Oguta are good examples

Arochukwu terrorised the core of Iboland for generations selling them of as slaves and they were helpless to do anything. It is clear if Europeans did not arrive they would have been forced to coalesce into something bigger.

The idea that their model served them well is fiction

They were just developmentally backward compared to their neighbours.

Arochukwu is a classic example of dulosis
The Akamkpa came from modern day Cross River,Akwa Ibom and installed a monarchy in Arochukwu their own deity Ibini Ukpabi as well as Okonko,Ekpe traditions and used that platform to plunder the disparate villages for millions of slaves which were sold via Bonny.

When you hear Asari Dokubo boasting about how they sold Ibos it is not empty talk. The Ijaw were not as many but better organised and they too sold millions of Ibos.

Is it not striking than when you read slavers memoirs you hardly hear of Efik Ijaw,Ibibio slaves from the Bight of Biafra.

What you hear of is mostly Ibo slaves sold by Ijaws, Ibibio
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Collyweed: 8:35am On May 31, 2020
omonnakoda:

That is a fallacious representation of history

If you think of Iboland as a palm kernel with a core and periphery

There were monarchies in the periphery as a result of conquests from external powers

Onitsga,Eri,Arochukwu Oguta are good examples

Arochukwu terrorised the core of Iboland for generations selling them of as slaves and they were helpless to do anything. It is clear if Europeans did not arrive they would have been forced to coalesce into something bigger.

The idea that their model served them well is fiction

They were just developmentally backward compared to their neighbours.

Arochukwu is a classic example of dulosis
The Akamkpa came from modern day Cross River,Akwa Ibom and installed a monarchy in Arochukwu their own deity Ibini Ukpabi as well as Okonko,Ekpe traditions and used that platform to plunder the disparate villages for millions of slaves which were sold via Bonny.

When you hear Asari Dokubo boasting about how they sold Ibos it is not empty talk. The Ijaw were not as many but better organised and they too sold millions of Ibos.

Is it not striking than when you read slavers memoirs you hardly hear of Efik Ijaw,Ibibio slaves from the Bight of Biafra.

What you hear of is mostly Ibo slaves sold by Ijaws, Ibibio

Neither the Aro nor the Ijaw sold slaves because they were “terrorizing” the Igbos. From all accounts, most of the slaves were not obtained through warfare.

The Ijaws were simply middlemen because of their coastal location (just like the Ijebu sold a lot of Yorubas). The Aros had (still have) a community in Kalabari and Asari’s ancestors success in the trade was most likely because he was originally Abam (a people from present day Abia who had a strong confederal relationship with the Aro).

2 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:36am On May 31, 2020
selemempe:
yes i noticed that. The ibos seem embodied in okonkwo. A man who will rather commit suicide than bend to tyrant.

In your opinion, what do you think about that ibo character

It is a bad character.

Okonkwo's best friend, Obierika, is the man whose character the Igbos should emulate. He was a very thoughtful, mature man. Unlike Okonkwo who was rash and impatient.

Obierika spoke his mind to the white man towards the end of the novel. It showed that he was not afraid to speak his mind, but unlike the short-tempered Okonkwo, Obierika was far more wise in his dealings with his problems and with reality.
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by OhBiafra: 8:42am On May 31, 2020
IDeyFlogAllah:
O boy, listen to the articulate use of the English language by these gentlemen. But if you hear some so-called lecturers speak English in our present day universities, even in the English language department, you'll be feeling like muzzling them. grin
They had British education, they were trained in colonial times by the Britons themselves. That is the reason
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 8:48am On May 31, 2020
Collyweed:

Neither the Aro nor the Ijaw sold slaves because they were “terrorizing” the Igbos. From all accounts, most of the slaves were not obtained through warfare.

The Ijaws were simply middlemen because of their coastal location (just like the Ijebu sold a lot of Yorubas). The Aros had (still have) a community in Kalabari and Asari’s ancestors success in the trade was most likely because he was originally Abam (a people from present day Abia who had a strong confederal relationship with the Aro).

From all accounts ?

Which accounts do you know?

They were obtained by a number of routes
Slave raids through the secret activities of Okonko society
The Aros in particular raided all over Iboland using mercenaries from Abam
People were sentenced into slavery for various crimes or debt but as demand grew
Raids or kidnapping was the main source and this was organised by external forces.

The point is the Umunna level organisation was a victim of stronger better organised forces.

Go and study the works of the likes of Apollos Nwauwa
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by ChelseaDr(m): 8:49am On May 31, 2020
LEGENDS never die!!!
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by joshjc(m): 8:50am On May 31, 2020
Great men, our standard of education then was better,just meet any educated elders who went to school then,they speak good English without errors and write very well
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by EzeNdiAra: 8:51am On May 31, 2020
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by Collyweed: 9:09am On May 31, 2020
omonnakoda:

From all accounts ?

Which accounts do you know?

They were obtained by a number of routes
Slave raids through the secret activities of Okonko society
The Aros in particular raided all over Iboland using mercenaries from Abam
People were sentenced into slavery for various crimes or debt but as demand grew
Raids or kidnapping was the main source and this was organised by external forces.

The point is the Umunna level organisation was a victim of stronger better organised forces.

Go and study the works of the likes of Apollos Nwauwa

Guy, stick to what you know. Which raids are you talking about when Aro communities are scattered all over the former Eastern region? How can raid a place and still be living with them?

The people used the trade as a means of getting rid of undesirables. Yes, there were some kidnapping but that was not a major issue.

2 Likes

Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by rocketnx: 9:16am On May 31, 2020
When men were men
Re: Watch 1964 Television Interview Of Chinua Achebe By Wole Soyinka by omonnakoda: 9:19am On May 31, 2020
Collyweed:

Guy, stick to what you know. Which raids are you talking about when Aro communities are scattered all over the former Eastern region? How can raid a place and still be living with them?

The people used the trade as a means of getting rid of undesirables. Yes, there were some kidnapping but that was not a major issue.

We are talking about the slave trade era. Not today.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/24328626?seq=1
https://www.jstor.org/stable/40463184?seq=1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DJ Switch And Her Lies Before The Canadian Parliament. / List Of Muslims That Have Held Top Government Positions In Southeast Since 1999 / Moment Peter Obi Raised The Nigerian Flag In Dunamis Church to Signify a New Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.