Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,859 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) (2251 Views)

Several Dead As Train Derailed In United States / George Floyd Protests: Trump Deploys US Military In Washington / George Floyd: Hundreds Take To The Streets In US Demanding Justice (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 30, 2020
From Minneapolis to New York City, Atlanta and Washington, protesters clashed with police in a rising tide of anger over the treatment of minorities by law enforcement.

The demonstrations broke out for a fourth night despite prosecutors announcing on Friday that the policeman filmed kneeling on Floyd’s neck, Derek Chauvin, had been arrested on third-degree murder and manslaughter charges.

Three other officers have been fired and are being investigated in connection with Monday’s incident, which reignited rage that civil rights activists said has long simmered in Minneapolis and cities across the country over persistent racial bias in the U.S. criminal justice system.

In Detroit late on Friday, a 19-year-old man was shot dead at a demonstration by a suspect who fired from a sport utility vehicle then fled, local media reported. Police could not immediately be reached for comment.

Many of the protesters chanted, “No justice, no peace,” and some carried signs that read, “End police brutality” and “I won’t stop yelling until everyone can breathe.”

In the video of Floyd’s death, filmed by a bystander, the 46-year-old could be heard repeatedly pleading with the officers and telling them he could not breathe.

Thousands of demonstrators also filled the streets of New York City’s Brooklyn borough near the Barclays Center arena. Police armed with batons and pepper spray made scores of arrests in sometimes violent clashes.

In lower Manhattan, demonstrators at a “We can’t breathe” rally demanded legislation to outlaw the chokehold used by a city police officer in the 2014 death of Eric Garner, who was also black.

In Washington, police and Secret Service agents deployed in force around the White House before dozens of demonstrators gathered across the street in Lafayette Square.

President Donald Trump said early on Saturday that he had watched the whole thing from his window, and, if the demonstrators had breached the fence, “they would have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen.”

“That’s when people would have been really badly hurt, at least,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Many Secret Service agents just waiting for action.”

CHAOS IN ATLANTA
In Atlanta, Bernice King, the youngest daughter of civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr., implored people to go home on Friday night after more than 1,000 protesters marched to the state capitol and blocked traffic on an interstate highway.

The demonstration turned violent at points. Fires burned near the CNN Center, the network’s headquarters, and windows were smashed at its lobby. At least one police car was among several vehicles burnt. Police pushed back the crowd, but they hurled bottles at officers.

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp declared a state of emergency in Atlanta and activated the Georgia National Guard, sending as many as 500 soldiers to guard property, as the protests moved from downtown to the affluent Buckhead neighborhood.

News broadcasts showed officers making several arrests, but police provided few details Saturday morning.

Protesters also took to the streets in other cities including Denver, Houston and Louisville, Kentucky.

In Minneapolis, Minnesota’s largest city, hundreds of protesters defied an 8 p.m. curfew around a police station that was burnt on Thursday night.

“We are out here because we, as a generation, realize things have to change,” said one marcher, Paul Selman, a 25-year-old black man.

Authorities had hoped Chauvin’s arrest would allay public anger. Late on Friday, officers opened fire with tear gas, plastic bullets and concussion grenades, scattering the crowd.

Still, Friday night’s crowds were far smaller and more widely dispersed than the night before.

Law enforcement kept a mostly low profile, a strategy seemingly calculated to reduce the risk of violent confrontations, as was the case in several urban centers across the country where sympathy protests arose.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said the investigation into Chauvin, who faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted, was ongoing and that he anticipated also charging the three other officers, identified by the city as Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J Alexander Kueng.

Floyd, a Houston native who had worked security for a nightclub, was arrested for allegedly using counterfeit money at a store to buy cigarettes on Monday evening.

Bail has been set at $500,000 for Chauvin, but it was unclear early on Saturday whether he remained in custody. Hennepin County jail records showed no inmate of that name.
Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-protests/protests-flare-around-the-united-states-over-minneapolis-killing-idUSKBN2360FV

1 Like

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 30, 2020
shocked cry

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 30, 2020
more pictures

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by incogni2o: 5:01pm On May 30, 2020
Everything has scatter now .

No time to Talk of social distancing here.

America is turning to something else.

5 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 30, 2020
More

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 30, 2020
Pictures

More Pics

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 30, 2020
Photos

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by SeverusSnape(m): 5:03pm On May 30, 2020
Too bad. So unfortunate things had to go this way. But i believe it's for the best, at least a message has been passed across to all that there will be repercussions for killing innocent black people unlawfully.

That (former) police man needs to spend the rest of his heartless life in jail.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11634067_26_jpegdf4963c29b6fa4cf6d452093b43ddf00
^^^By the way, In Nigeria, the soldier will just beat up or worse, kill this man here.
In this country, Can we even protest peacefully without being brutalized by police or army

5 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 30, 2020
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by keentola(m): 5:09pm On May 30, 2020
.When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”— Erasmus

Do You Know hat you can get 5 books for as low as 300 naira?

Now That You Know, what is stopping You from contacting me for your Books?

I sell ALL kinds of Books. My number is in my Bio.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Coder2Client(m): 5:16pm On May 30, 2020
Well, I hope the protest will yield result that lead to some amendment that will help minorities in the long run.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 30, 2020
johnkey:
Mehn wishing I'm there, wish we could do this in Nigeria, all cultists armed robbers kidnappers bombers stay front with their weapons ready to die, we the remaining stay behind destroying things, police fire we fire back, army shoot bomb we shoot missile, kill all politicians and police to the last, I swear the country will change with immediate effect.
It only gets worse or there will be more than likely no result
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by johnkey: 5:20pm On May 30, 2020
Mehn wishing I'm there, wish we could do this in Nigeria, all cultists armed robbers kidnappers bombers stay front with their weapons ready to die, we the remaining stay behind destroying things, police fire we fire back, army shoot bomb we shoot missile, kill all politicians and police to the last, I swear the country will change with immediate effect.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by babajero(m): 5:27pm On May 30, 2020
All these are caused by the foolishness of 4 men.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by tellwisdom: 5:31pm On May 30, 2020
Next time, you will think twice before taking a life.

Nigeria is next.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:32pm On May 30, 2020
Keep the shiits coming guys.
The title of this action movie is '2020' and it's action packed. No dulling moment in 2020. We're not yet half of the movie and it has been a whole lot of actions. This is just the beginning, the second half is on the way.

By the way @OP, where is Explorers? You don drop am or wetin? grin
We no dey see Explorers again, na you dey run things now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nickymezor(f): 5:32pm On May 30, 2020
Hmmm, no be small thing...why are some folks pouring milk on the faces? I don't get it

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by yanabasee1(m): 5:33pm On May 30, 2020
SeverusSnape:
Too bad. So unfortunate things had to go this way. But i believe it's for the best, at least a message has been passed across to all that there will be repercussions for killing innocent black people unlawfully.

That (former) police man needs to spend the rest of his heartless life in jail.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11634067_26_jpegdf4963c29b6fa4cf6d452093b43ddf00
^^^By the way, In Nigeria, the soldier will just beat up or worse, kill this man here.
In this country, Can we even protest peacefully without being brutalized by police or army

Protest was effective when we had democratic leaders.....People like Oshiomole used protest to become popular....

But under Buhari,you dare not.....If you try am, and you mistakenly throw an empty can of drink on the securities....Na hospital go settle the matter...

3 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by 2special(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2020
If the protesters can't get that police officer, let them hunt for his family members.

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Shellsploit: 5:39pm On May 30, 2020
shocked
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by budaatum: 5:40pm On May 30, 2020
Weebo:
Damn, when we gonna start protesting like this in Nigeria?
When we get balls and have something to protest about like we did when we protested numerous times in the past.

Or don't you know we've protested in the past, and, successfully?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 30, 2020
yanabasee1:

Protest was effective when we had democratic leaders.....People like Oshiomole used protest to become popular....

But under Buhari,you dare not.....If you try am, and you mistakenly throw an empty can of drink on the securities....Na hospital go settle the matter...
Those times when we had protest not paid/hungry protest and paid counter protest of now that protesters don't even know what their protesting for or against

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Enoch07: 5:41pm On May 30, 2020
pls why are they pouring milk on their faces?
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by tyup(m): 5:42pm On May 30, 2020
This is the Aftermath of too much Freedom given to Her citizen

this too much Freedom in the hands of US citizens would gradually consume them someday sad

2 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by lomprico(m): 5:42pm On May 30, 2020
trump no try with that statement.

1 Like

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by budaatum: 5:44pm On May 30, 2020
yanabasee1:

Protest, is very different to, attacking the security forces.

If you attack police in America they'll send you to hospital or arrest your ass too, as implied in the op.

President Donald Trump said early on Saturday that he had watched the whole thing from his window, and, if the demonstrators had breached the fence, “they would have been greeted with the most vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons, I have ever seen.”

Thousands of demonstrators also filled the streets of New York City’s Brooklyn borough near the Barclays Center arena. Police armed with batons and pepper spray made scores of arrests in sometimes violent clashes.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by tyup(m): 5:45pm On May 30, 2020
lomprico:
trump no try with that statement.

You'll rather allow them invade the White House

This is no longer protest but an Act of terror that should be met with brutality, great military response and ruthlessness sad

3 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 30, 2020
budaatum:

When we get balls and have something to protest about like we did when we protested numerous times in the past.

Or don't you know we've protested in the past, and, successfully?
I just realised we have and things only got worse after they did . Honestly It`s pothetic how thousands of people loose their lifes for a better revolution in Africa but all in vain, it`s fvcked up.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by lomprico(m): 5:55pm On May 30, 2020
tyup:

You'll rather allow them invade the White House

This is no longer protest but an Act of terror that should be met with brutality, great military response and ruthlessness sad

he dint handle it well initially. that's why d protest got to his doorstep.
Re: George Floyd: Several Dead As Protest Spreads To Multiple Cities In US (Graphic) by budaatum: 5:56pm On May 30, 2020
Weebo:

I just realised we have and things only got worse after they did . Honestly It`s pothetic how thousands of people loose their lifes for a better revolution in Africa but all in vain, it`s fvcked up.
Perhaps we protested wrong, though some of our protests were successful.

Wasn't fuel price increase removed at one point? And if I remember correctly, Ali Went, until reality crept up on us.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News …france Invades Niger / Cruise Ship's Cowardly Captain Says He "Fell" Into Rescue Boat / Gboom! Iraq Shot Down Two 'british' Planes Air-dropping Arms For ISIL.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.