Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year (4989 Views)

Reason For High Fees And Turnout Of First Class Graduates In Private Unis. / The Only University Without Unemployed Graduates In Nigeria. / University Of Ibadan Churns Out 222 First Class Graduates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by asamuel: 9:22am On Jan 20, 2011
Varsity produces 119 first class graduates

By Adeola Adeyemo

January 20, 2011 03:33AM
print email

The University of Lagos has recorded its highest number of students graduating with first class honours in one year.

A total of 119 students bagged first class degrees in the 2009/2010 convocation ceremony, which began at the institution's multi purpose hall yesterday. This year's total number of first class graduands is higher than that of last year by 32.

A total of 87 students graduated with a first-class degree in 2010; 103 in 2009; and 89 in 2008. "It is important, therefore, at this juncture, to state that we are determined to continue our tradition of producing quality first class brains that can compete favourably with their equals in any part of the world," said the new Vice Chancellor of the institution, Adetokunbo Sofoluwe."

This year's convocation, which had as its theme, ‘Sustaining UNILAG as a University of First Choice: A joint Social and Academic Responsibility for All', saw a total of 3,696 students graduating in the first day of the event. The students were from the Faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Science, Social Sciences and the Distance Learning Institute.

The grand total of all graduating students in the university this year academic session is 8,209; the College of Medicine 243, Faculty of Business Administration 355, Engineering 403, Law 248, Pharmacy 89. The School of Postgraduate Studies had PhD 76, Masters Degree 2,875, PGD 265.

Mr Sofoluwe advised the graduating students to exhibit exemplary behaviour. "Let me quickly add that the University of Lagos expects you to serve as shining models of exemplary behaviour and dedication," he said. "As you leave this great citadel of learning, do everything within your disposal to propagate the good image of the university. Please think of what you can do with what you have learnt at the university." He also promised the students that their certificates would be ready for collection at the registrar's office within four weeks, bringing shouts of joy.

Their hopes

In preparation for the future, the students expressed hopes that they would be meaningfully engaged within a short period. Fisayo Garuba, a graduate from the department of English Education, said she was optimistic that she would be gainfully employed after completing her Youth Service. "I'm not scared at all," she said. "I've worked very hard for my degree and I'm sure I wouldn't find it difficult getting a good job."

Another graduate from the department of History and Strategic Studies, Seyi Ogundare, said he was counting on God's favour to see him through the competitive labour market. "I know it's tough out there in the labour market but with God on my side, I know I'll make it," he said.

But Ekun Temitope, a Philosophy graduate, said he had no intention of joining the throng of job seekers and would prefer to be self-employed. "With the knowledge of Philosophy, you don't have to wait for anybody to employ you," he said. "The importance of an education is for you to be acquainted with yourself. I dont intend to work for anybody, I intend to work for myself and employ people. I want to be an employer of labour."

Source: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5664447-146/story.csp
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Rhino5dm: 9:42am On Jan 20, 2011
this unilag sef! shocked shocked

i reckon they should have a school of first class and first class studies grin

hmm. keep on producing half baked first class graduate that cant even operate INEC DDC registration machines.

arrannnt nonsense!!! 119 first class ko, 119 third class ni.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Jarus(m): 9:49am On Jan 20, 2011
How did you know they are half-baked?
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Bisijohn: 10:17am On Jan 20, 2011
Not every first class graduate really deserves it. This is true life story, a First class graduate of Electrical sat for apptitude test in my company, he scored 4/15 in Mathematics, 10/15 in English. As if that one is not enough, when he was asked to state first law of Motion, he said he left secondary school long time ago-2004. You called 2004 longtime ago?, asked the interviewer. Really, it is very pathetic. I hope these ones will not be like that guy.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by asamuel: 10:18am On Jan 20, 2011
Are they computer literates? Maybe they should be deployed quickly to help in INEC registration exercise. grin grin
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Jarus(m): 10:23am On Jan 20, 2011
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by manie(m): 10:25am On Jan 20, 2011
Congratulations to them. Considering the location of the school and the distractions the students are exposed to, I know it is not easy to come out with a first class from UNILAG, and most of the first generation federal universities. About 1.5% of the graduating students made first class.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by ekubear1: 10:30am On Jan 20, 2011
Generally those who bash others with first class degrees (or the equivalents) themselves are incapable of getting these things wink

Congrats to these students!
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 20, 2011
Congratulations and im happy for all of them
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 10:35am On Jan 20, 2011
Jarus:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/in-defence-of-first-class-degree/76521/

Why do you want to go there

The article was written in bad faith obviously

I know you wrote the article.

A lot of factual errors in the said article
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 10:37am On Jan 20, 2011
eku_bear:

Generally those who bash others with first class degrees (or the equivalents) themselves are incapable of getting these things  wink

Congrats to these students!

I understand what you are trying to get at, but you need to see some of these first class graduates, you'd be SHOCKED!

How can a first class graduate in Engineering not know the first law of motion off hand?
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Rhino5dm: 10:46am On Jan 20, 2011
Assalamun Alaikum, kaifa  assubiti?? na'am. wink

considering the fact that the basic minimum required practical are not there. not trying to undermined the capability of unilag or any higher institution per se. but i was  privallege to testing handful of them since 2007. majority of our graduates are sub standard considring the standard of our education it self is sub. and they sort/bribe there way out with good class of degrees knowing fully well that Nigerians lay alot of emphasis on paper qualifications.

Jarus:

How did you know they are half-baked?

my organisation has stop asking for your certificate before employment due to alot of embrassment the so-called first class graduate are turning to.

we test you and you start work immediately after medical fitness test with out even submitting your photocopies of credentials or NYSC rubbish. shikenan!

some after sending them for training in europe and America will not be able to cope with basic minimum engineering requirement.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 10:55am On Jan 20, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Assalamun Alaikum, kaifa  assubiti?? na'am. wink

considering the fact that the basic minimum required practical are not there. not trying to undermined the capability of unilag [/b]or any higher institution per se. but i was  [b]privallege to testing handful of them since 2007. majority of our graduates are sub standard[b] considring[/b] the standard of our education it self [/b]is [b]sub. and they sort/bribe[b] there[/b] way out with good class of degrees knowing[b] fully[/b] well that Nigerians lay[b] alot[/b] of emphasis on paper qualifications.

my organisation[b] has stop[/b] asking for your certificate before employment due to alot of embrassment the so-called first class graduate are turning to.

we test you and you start work immediately after medical fitness test with out even submitting your photocopies of credentials or NYSC rubbish. shikenan!

some [/b]after sending them for training in [b]europe and America will not be able to cope with basic minimum engineering requirement.

Well, I really dont think you have the locus standi to deride any one

You dont seem any better than than "half-baked" graduates you are castigating
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by ekubear1: 11:02am On Jan 20, 2011
I understand your point fstranger. All I'm saying is that whether you think these things are useful or not, they certainly are not easy to get.

There will be some exceptions here and there, but overall it represents some of the best students at the university.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 11:09am On Jan 20, 2011
eku_bear:

I understand your point fstranger. All I'm saying is that whether you think these things are useful or not, they certainly are not easy to get.

There will be some exceptions here and there, but overall it represents some of the best students at the university.

Take that back!
. . . it represents some of the richest and most connected students at the university, especially at Unilag.

They dont call it Unilag PLC for no reason.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:10am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

Well, I really dont think you have the locus standi to deride any one

You dont seem any better than than "half-baked" graduates you are castigating

fstranger1:

Take that back!
. . . it represents some of the richest and most connected students at the university, especially at Unilag.

They dont call it Unilag PLC for no reason.

Reeetard!

You are the one calling others "half-baked"?

Cretin.

The foool that claimed to have achieved A2 in English but yet can not use an apostrophe in ALL his sentences.

Who were you lying to?

Reetard!
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 11:14am On Jan 20, 2011
Sagamite:

Reeetard!

You are the one calling others "half-baked"?

Cretin.

The [b]foool[/b] that claimed to have achieved A2 in English but yet can not use an apostrophe in ALL his sentences.

Who were you lying to?

Reetard!

Another "half-baked" graduate on the loose! grin

Forum rule 1:" The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic. If a question is in quotation marks, the question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks."

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xrVwcrmWIg?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Basildon1(m): 11:22am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

I understand what you are trying to get at, but you need to see some of this first class graduates, you'd be SHOCKED!

How can a first class graduate in Engineering not know the first law of motion off hand?

That's just bullcrap! I can bet on my life that you can not show me one. Maybe among the 2.1 and 2.2 students definitely but all the first class students in UNILAG are on point. There no amount of settling or using your body that will get u a first class. 119 is not a lot out of 3,825 graduating students

That is just 3% of the graduating students - this figure excludes the number of people that will be advised to withdraw or unable to graduate due to failed mandatory courses. With the total number of final year students, this percentage will drop lower that 2%

This Rhino fella sef go just dey open mouth. Simple post sef he cant fit to compose without errors. abi u wan lie say na typo!! Mr stranger, i think lecturers must have stressed you out with your sub-standard submissions that couldnt make the A grade!
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:23am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

Another "half-baked" graduate on the loose! grin

Forum rule 1:" The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic. If a question is in quotation marks, the question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks."

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

Justifying your half-bakedness? grin

What has that got to do with apostrophe?

Cretin.

You wish you were me?  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 11:26am On Jan 20, 2011
Sagamite:

Justifying your half-bakedness? grin

What has that got to do with apostrophe?

Cretin.

You wish you were me?  grin grin grin grin grin

Reetard!

Olodo

Unemployable "half-baked" graduate

1 Like

Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:27am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

I understand what you are trying to get at, but you need to see some of this first class graduates, you'd be SHOCKED!

Reeetard, claiming he got A2 in English.

It is these, not this.

Quarter-baked?
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:29am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

Reetard!

Olodo

Unemployable "half-baked" graduate

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWM18lhOnOs[/flash]
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by fstranger1: 11:31am On Jan 20, 2011
Sagamite:

Reeetard, claiming he got A2 in English.

It is these, not this.

Quarter-baked?

Ode, I saw it

I just chose not to change it!

That still hasnt changed the fact that you are and will forever be unemployable!

And, yes, there is an apostrophe missing in hasnt! Go phucc yourself gay!
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Sagamite(m): 11:34am On Jan 20, 2011
fstranger1:

Ode, I saw it

I just chose not to change it!

That still hasnt changed the fact that you are and will forever be unemployable!

And, yes, there is an apostrophe missing in hasnt! Go phucc yourself gay!

No . . . . .

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xco_EzaMXvQ[/flash]
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by ifyalways(f): 11:45am On Jan 20, 2011
I can't stop lol-ing.
This Sagamite eeeeeeeeeee,chai cheesy
@Thread,Congrats to them.Sorting or not,it aint easy grad. with First class.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 20, 2011
Please can we not be too hard on  fstranger1.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by jamace(m): 12:00pm On Jan 20, 2011
This na bumper harvest of First Class o.  shocked shocked

I hope they are not PDP candidates. You know these days of serious politics, those in PDP or have connections in PDP will have the upper hand. grin grin
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Jarus(m): 12:14pm On Jan 20, 2011
The argument, whose link I posted up there, was what I put up when a similar issue was raised on the pages of newspapers sometime ago. That's still my opinion.

I agree some First Class students struggle to live up to expectation, but just very few, and that's should be treated as an exception, not the rule. It doesn't mean all First Class graduates should be written off on sight.

I honestly doubt you can bribe your way to First Class. Most people that bribe do so just to graduate or sneak into 2.1 or 2.2. I may be wrong.

And about the number of people that graduated with First Class, as somebody analyzed up there, it's less than 2%, so it's no big deal. In advanced schools in the America and Europe, more people graduate with First Class. So why the fuss about Unilag's?
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Hodaya(m): 2:28pm On Jan 20, 2011
Enough of the 1st class already, it doesn't appear to be national solution to our problems. We need 1st class job creators not 1st class job seekers, i think all Universities need to start working towards achieving this,
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by SEFAGO(m): 6:41pm On Jan 20, 2011

Eku_bear`I will have to agree partially with fstranger. Half of the people on first class in unilag did what they call back home in nigeria "runs" the other half worked for it. Most of the engineering and science students worked for it since engineering exams are cut and dry probably while the "History and strategic studies" (WTF is that) would need runs since grading would depend on the professor.
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2011
@SEAFAGO: are u trying to say dat d other half paid their way to make a 1st class? U are so wrong, dis G.P's starts accumulating right from their 1st yr and dey kept maintaining it till dey get to thier fanal yr, with ur logic u mean dey ve been sorting frm yr1 till thier final yr? Dats wrong and unfair. In unilag u cant make a 1st class by sorting, u earn it on merit i dnt knw abt other schls dou!
Re: Unilag Churns Out 119 First Class Graduates In A Year by SEFAGO(m): 1:45am On Jan 21, 2011
^ So you received a degree shocked shocked shocked, and you cannot type properly? What did you get? First class too undecided

Yep long term hustle. Seems you were slow in university and all those boys were doing run"s while you were wasting time reading grin.

U think say I know know unilag sebi? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ondo State University Of Science And Technology(osustech) Post Utme / AFUED POST UTME RESULTS/ADMISSIONS/ACCOMMODATION / How To Produce Whiteboard Marker Ink And Business Manual

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.