Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,771 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom (482 Views)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Oluwo Of Iwo Walks Out Of Yoruba Event In Port Harcout As Organizers Omit Photo / Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by packagerz: 8:52am On May 31, 2020
MY HEART GOES TO GEORGE FLOYD... MAYE OF YORUBA KINGDOM
It hurts me so bad when I heard about the sadden death of our brother George Floyd..

Let me state this as Police violence in America: six years after Ferguson, George Floyd’s killing shows little has changed
In 2014, Michael Brown’s killing by white police prompted talk of reform – but the country has failed to stanch the bleeding

Why.. Just because Africans are great, Just because our nation is not in proper hand and in proper leader 's hands..

After the African American teenager Michael Brown was shot dead by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri in August 2014, the epidemic of police violence against people of color in the US captured national and global attention, for a time.

The police officer filmed kneeling on George Floyd's neck charged with murder
When Brown was killed, the words of Eric Garner, gasping “I can’t breathe” as he was crushed by officers in New York City a month earlier, were still echoing in the national conversation. Protests rose up in Ferguson, a new movement for racial justice grew under the banner of Black Lives Matter, and talk of systemic reform filled the air.

Six years have passed. As national protests spread anew in reaction to the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, another African American man killed by another white officer, a growing chorus could be heard to ask what America has done to stanch the bleeding. A tragic answer hung heavily in the air.

“What is true about this moment that was also true in 2014 is that these are the symptoms of a centuries-old virus of white supremacy in America,” said Brittany Packnett Cunningham, co-founder of the Campaign Zero movement against police violence.

“The expectation that black activists and organizers and writers and leaders alone were going to be able to solve this in six years is as insulting as it is unrealistic.

It’s unrealistic because it took us hundreds of years to get into this set of circumstances, and it’s going to take us more than six years to get us out. And it’s insulting because it’s actually the work of non-black people to uproot anti-blackness, and it is the work of white people to dismantle white supremacy, because it directly benefits them.”

Floyd, 46, died under the knee of a white police officer as he struggled to echo Garner’s words: “I can’t breathe.”

The killing came even as the country struggled to come to grips with the cold-blooded shootings of a young jogger, Ahmaud Arbery, in Georgia, and a medical technician, Breonna Taylor, by police inside her home in Kentucky.

“This shouldn’t be ‘normal’ in 2020 in America,” former president Barack Obama said in a statement on Friday, alluding to another recent incident, in which a white woman in Central Park in New York threatened to call police on an African American birdwatcher.

“We have to remember that for millions of Americans,” Obama said, “being treated differently on account of race is tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal’ – whether it’s while dealing with the healthcare system, or interacting with the criminal justice system, or jogging down the street, or just watching birds in the park.”

It’s unrealistic because it took us hundreds of years to get into this set of circumstances, and it’s going to take us more than six years to get us out. And it’s insulting because it’s actually the work of non-black people to uproot anti-blackness, and it is the work of white people to dismantle white supremacy, because it directly benefits them.”

“We have to remember that for millions of Americans,” Obama said, “being treated differently on account of race is tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal’ – whether it’s while dealing with the healthcare system, or interacting with the criminal justice system, or jogging down the street, or just watching birds in the park.”

Today I pray for the family of the deceased loved ones that almighty will healed their wounds.. Also I pray for all Africans abroad to stay strong. May almighty Allah guide and protect them.

Dr Ramon Adedoyin
Maye of Yoruba kingdom

Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by rentAcock(m): 8:54am On May 31, 2020
Funny people. Worry about the injustice in our country.

1 Like

Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by packagerz: 9:03am On May 31, 2020
rentAcock:
Funny people. Worry about the injustice in our country.

Worried about how blacks are been treated... Worried about our bad leader in Africa..
Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by HeightsKE: 9:04am On May 31, 2020
Rip
Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by illicit(m): 9:48am On May 31, 2020
Maye, Packagerz, do giveaway....
Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by Justice35: 9:59am On May 31, 2020
Misplaced priority, your heart should go to to all the armless people killed in Nigeria by our militaries not to George that was killed in far away America..
Re: My Heart Goes To George Floyd. Maye Of Yoruba Kingdom by packagerz: 3:38pm On May 31, 2020
illicit:
Maye, Packagerz, do giveaway....

Till mid next month sir

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Evil World, Wicked People Everywhere, See What Was Buried To Stop A Family From / Otunba Adewunmi Oriyomi Onanuga 'ijaya' Becomes Yeye Oba Of Makun Kingdom, Sagam / Attempts To Remove Akintoye As Yoruba Leader Failed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.