Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It (815 Views)

5 Ways You Can Avoid - Reasons Most Scholarship Articulations Fail / 10 Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes — And How You Can Avoid Them / 5 Ways You Can Avoid Carryovers As A Fresh Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:38pm On May 31, 2020
Hi there,

I will be sharing a short story of how my WhatsApp got hacked and what you can do to avoid it.

Before reading further, go ahead and do a 2 STEP VERIFICATION on your WhatsApp account as soon as possible !

If you have no idea on how to get it done or what it is about, I will be explaining it here as well

So, on one fateful afternoon I received a call from an unsaved number claiming to be in a WhatsApp group I was a member of.

The voice was masculine and this man knew some of the groups I was already in - he most likely joined those groups a while ago or got his information from some other source.

He used one of my church groups as a bait and pretended he was calling with regards an online bible study

Foolishly, I believed him and every lie he told. After introducing himself, he told me he would be sending a code to me in preparation for the online bible study - according to him, he was booking a spot for me on some mysterious online platform

During the call, I received a code and he requested I call it out for him to enter into a mysterious local server - stupidly, I did.

It took me some seconds to realize I had shared my WhatsApp verification code to someone I do not know so much about.

The guy ended the call and next thing I hopped on to my WhatsApp account only to see that I was exited from all of my groups

This same guy had gained access to my profile picture, but not my contacts. He started to impersonate me on all groups I was kicked out off - during this time, I still had my WhatsApp account but gave up all my group memberships

He started posting scams about some GLOBAL INVESTMENT jargons and used my pictures to share fraudulent messages.

It took me days to clear all doubts, get him removed from all of those groups and block him permanently on WhatsApp !

After using TrueCaller and investigating, I realized this man was not alone - he worked with another guy behind the scene.

How it works is that there are two people - the one who makes the call and the one doing the hacking.

Once you innocently share your verification code to the caller, the other guy can get into your account by just knowing your phone number and typing in your verification code.

They may not get your contacts, but they will have enough to impersonate you and maybe do more damage - if you do not act fast.

This is why a 2 STEP VERIFICATION is important, it ensures that even if you accidentally share your WhatsApp log-in verification code with a stranger, they will need to enter a password (only you have knowledge of)

So, under this post I will be sharing steps to take for WhatsApp 2-STEP VERIFICATION using screenshots from my phone.

As a safety measure, be on look out for unknown numbers and confirm as much as you can before trusting with information.

Happy Sunday
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by Bilabong(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2020
Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:41pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 1

Tap the three dot icon on your WhatsApp

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by Emmacolinho(m): 12:42pm On May 31, 2020
Stop cybercrime today

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:42pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 2

It will take you to this page, select the option in red to set up 2-STEP VERIFICATION

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:46pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 3
After selecting 2-STEP VERIFICATION, you will be taken to this page.

This is where you will be entering a 6 digit PIN linked to your WhatsApp for additional security.

Choose a PIN that you can easily remember

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by AngelicDamsel(f): 12:46pm On May 31, 2020
Nice post.

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:47pm On May 31, 2020
No problem, I do not want people to repeat my mistake
Bilabong:
Thanks for sharing
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:51pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 4

After entering your 6-digit PIN, type it again and confirm.

Kindly note that being a PIN, all you will be entering are numbers not symbols or letters.

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:54pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 5

Now, you will have to enter an email address - should you forget your PIN

Preferably, choose an email address that is active

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 12:57pm On May 31, 2020
STEP 6

Re-enter your email address for confirmation sake

It is getting long, isn't it ? but trust me, it is worth every second !

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 1:01pm On May 31, 2020
CONGRATULATIONS

Your 2-step verification has been enabled !

Keep your PIN in mind, jot it somewhere safe if you have to

Now, you have no reason to worry - your WhatsApp account is safe

PS: Do not make a mistake of sharing your PIN with anybody, learn from me !

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 1:02pm On May 31, 2020
Thanks, now go do your 2-step verification if you haven't
AngelicDamsel:
Nice post.
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by Chicent(m): 1:02pm On May 31, 2020
Good to know you have learnt... A friend also released a code to a fraudster who called him... According to him he knew he was a scammer and was trying to play along and playing along to him is giving the said guy the exact codes sent to his number and that was how they hacked his Facebook account.... I just shook my head.

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by AngelicDamsel(f): 1:04pm On May 31, 2020
nwaezeemmanuel:
Thanks, now go do your 2-step verification if you haven't

I have. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 1:06pm On May 31, 2020
Very sad experience, they also use this same technique for Facebook very well

Anybody can be scammed, we just have to make sure we do our own part of not letting it happen !

Chicent:
Good to know you have learnt... A friend also released a code to a fraudster who called him... According to him he knew he was a scammer and was trying to play along and playing along to him is giving the said guy the exact codes sent to his number and that was how they hacked his Facebook account.... I just shook my head.
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 1:07pm On May 31, 2020
Great, you're safe

Feel free to share this post with somebody, many do not know about these things

Have a wonderful Sunday !

AngelicDamsel:

I have. Thanks.
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by yanabasee1(m): 2:12pm On May 31, 2020
Nice one

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by Collinz2(m): 3:26pm On May 31, 2020
Dumb a$$, i guess u didnt read the message that came with the code. How can you give someone code u never authorised even if the person call you.

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 5:40pm On May 31, 2020
Thanks

Feel free to share with loved ones
yanabasee1:
Nice one
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 5:41pm On May 31, 2020
Thanks for reading, feel free to share with loved ones

Collinz2:
Dumb a$$, i guess u didnt read the message that came with the code. How can you give someone code u never authorised even if the person call you.
Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by ODJ123(m): 8:38pm On May 31, 2020
thanks Op

1 Like

Re: How My Whatsapp Account Got Hacked And How You Can Avoid It by nwaezeemmanuel(m): 9:38pm On May 31, 2020
You're welcome
ODJ123:
thanks Op

(1) (Reply)

If FG Pay Private School Teachers I Will Do Giveaway / Update On Uk’s Points-based Immigration System / How To Write An Essay In English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.