Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,381 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! (1108 Views)

Buy Your Western Digital/SanDisk External HDDs and SSDs. / SOLD 500gb Hdds, 128gb Ssd & 4gb Ddr3 Rams For Sale / Urgent: How Do I Edit Pdf Document On My Pc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 11:10am On Jun 04, 2020
I have an HP 8440p that has gulped 3 HDDs within the past 3 months!

A little history

I bought it on Amazon in 2018: a core i7 HP EliteBook and it has not given me an issue for a day until about three months ago.

Although I noticed that the BIOS was passworded when I got it. I couldn't bring myself to take it to Computer Village in Ikeja because of my past experiences with Policemen around that area.

The power pack got damaged about five months ago and had to change it immediately.

A month after, the original HDD that came with it crashed one morning without signs or warnings. All I noticed was media files kept freezing at intervals and I did a restart and that was it.

About two days later, I got another 500GB HDD. Mounted it and installed a Windows 10 on it. I had barely used it for three days before it crashed. Had to take it to the shop I bought it from and they outrighly declined a replacement and refund altogether. Then I got another 500GB (Seagate) which has been perfect ever since until this morning.

I noticed my programmes weren't responding and did a restart. 20 minutes later, it was yet to restart even though it said "restarting". I did a hard reset and it failed to boot.

Hard disk test says "read failure error". I had to remount the HDD but the response is the same.

Along with the one that came with it, this is the third HDD within 3 months. A part of me wants to smash a heavy rod or wood on the PC but irọ nla. It is a crazy strong PC and I love it.

I'm weighing the option of selling it off or taking it to Ikeja for a swap deal but those guys always negotiate items like they are stolen.

I want to know if I can still salvage the PC. Epp me, edakun.

Lalasticlala cry

1 Like

Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by ellagabs(f): 11:27am On Jun 04, 2020
the source of your setup files might be the problem.
1. if you have an external drive that houses all your applications, i suggest you do a total scan on it.

2. use GParted to fix the follow come HDD

3. May be you are using a charger with higher ampere than what is needed by the system
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 11:38am On Jun 04, 2020
ellagabs:
1. if you have an external drive that houses all your applications, i suggest you do a total scan on it.

3. May be you are using a charger with higher ampere than what is needed by the system
No, I don't have or use an external hard drive. The supposed follow come died a long time ago and has since been disposed.

I don't doubt the #3 but my maths skill suck. How do I calculate my PC's amperage in a way that a dummy will understand?

Thanks.

Modified

I just realised that the PC's output is 90W while my adapter's is 60W. The previous adapter was 65W. So the wattage has been undersupplied ever since but I doubt it is enough to impact the HDDs save in cases of power surges, which doesn't happen.

Contributions on Quora confirm this. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-consequence-of-using-a-lower-wattage-power-adapter-with-a-laptop
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by bigl: 12:51pm On Jun 04, 2020
Sanchez01:

A little history

I bought it on Amazon in 2018: a core i7 HP EliteBook and it has not given me an issue for a day until about three months ago.

Although I noticed that the BIOS was passworded when I got it. I couldn't bring myself to take it to Computer Village in Ikeja because of my past experiences with Policemen around that area.

The power pack got damaged about five months ago and had to change it immediately.

A month after, the original HDD that came with it crashed one morning without signs or warnings. All I noticed was media files kept freezing at intervals and I did a restart and that was it.

About two days later, I got another 500GB HDD. Mounted it and installed a Windows 10 on it. I had barely used it for three days before it crashed. Had to take it to the shop I bought it from and they outrighly declined a replacement and refund altogether. Then I got another 500GB (Seagate) which has been perfect ever since until this morning.

I noticed my programmes weren't responding and did a restart. 20 minutes later, it was yet to restart even though it said "restarting". I did a hard reset and it failed to boot.

Hard disk test says "read failure error". I had to remount the HDD but the response is the same.

Along with the one that came with it, this is the third HDD within 3 months. A part of me wants to smash a heavy rod or wood on the PC but irọ nla. It is a crazy strong PC and I love it.

I'm weighing the option of selling it off or taking it to Ikeja for a swap deal but those guys always negotiate items like they are stolen.

Lalasticlala cry

Its most likely overheating! And there is every likelyhood those hard drives had issues before you bought them and the heat of a thing helped in accelerating their demise.

I use a 8540p and i'm also battling with the heat thing but it doesn't affect my hdd sha! The system used to shut down back then..

Try and check to be sure the under side of your laptop is not heating up
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 3:43pm On Jun 04, 2020
bigl:

Its most likely overheating! And there is every likelyhood those hard drives had issues before you bought them and the heat of a thing helped in accelerating their demise.

I use a 8540p and i'm also battling with the heat thing but it doesn't affect my hdd sha! The system used to shut down back then..

I doubt it is overheating. I have a thermal paste I generously apply on areas it is required and my PC doesn't shut down on its own.

The sound of the fan has been normal all through.

So i doubt it is as a result of overheating.

1 Like

Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Ishilove: 5:58pm On Jun 04, 2020
Sprinkle your PC with holy water.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by udemzyudex(m): 7:49pm On Jun 04, 2020
Did you confirm the health of the HDD, the health must always be 100%,even if it is 99% don't buy it.

How often do you reload /format the HDD?

Do you always shutdown properly?

Well in case you want to sell it, so that those who are interested can come for it.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ishilove:
Sprinkle your PC with holy water.
Babe! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
udemzyudex:
Did you confirm the health of the HDD, the health must always be 100%,even if it is 99% don't buy it.

How often do you reload /format the HDD?

Do you always shutdown properly?

Well in case you want to sell it, so that those who are interested can come for it.
I actually confirmed the health of the HDD. It was at 100 when I bought it.

I barely format my HDD because it houses my stuff and it is used internally.

I always do.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by acorntree(m): 7:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
Sanchez01:

A little history

Lalasticlala cry

All those HDD are still OK. HDD are rugged and designed to last for minimum of 3 yes. So the problem is with the motherboard. Do you observed that when you run on battery the system runs smoothly and once power supply is connected it freezes or screen turn blank. if you observed this, once you install new os boot into window in same mode and disable all the multiprocessor configuration.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 8:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
acorntree:

All those HDD are still OK. HDD are rugged and designed to last for minimum of 3 yes.
Imagine! And I have disposed of everything undecided

So the problem is with the motherboard. Do you observed that when you run on battery the system runs smoothly and once power supply is connected it freezes or screen turn blank. if you observed this, once you install new os boot into window in same mode and disable all the multiprocessor configuration.
At the emboldened, it doesn't happen, actually. It is as smooth as butter whether or not it is plugged. The only thing I noticed is power draining 5 times faster on Windows 10, which is a common problem with 10 until I had to disable redundant apps.

Can a passworded BIOS be capable of doing this?
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Ishilove: 8:09pm On Jun 05, 2020
Sanchez01:

Babe! grin grin grin grin grin
My honey pie! grin cheesy
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by acorntree(m): 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
Sanchez01:

Imagine! And I have disposed of everything undecided

At the emboldened, it doesn't happen, actually. It is as smooth as butter whether or not it is plugged. The only thing I noticed is power draining 5 times faster on Windows 10, which is a common problem with 10 until I had to disable redundant apps.

Can a passworded BIOS be capable of doing this?

No BIOS don't have anything to do with that. what i can see here is data corruption. Os becoming corrupted. Do you also observed it takes long time for some application to load
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2020
Ishilove:

My honey pie! grin cheesy

grin kiss kiss kiss
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Sanchez01: 8:55pm On Jun 05, 2020
acorntree:

No BIOS don't have anything to do with that. what i can see here is data corruption. Os becoming corrupted. Do you also observed it takes long time for some application to load
Thank you for the clarification on BIOS. I suspect corrupt data as well but then that would mean newly installed windows get corrupted within a short period of time.

No. All applications loaded fine and quickly save a PC game that is played using a mouse. It not only hanged but the play screen barely loaded and the sounded looped like it was skipping.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Achinakaa(m): 4:52am On Jun 09, 2020
do you know that RAM can also cause your laptop to crash, see if you can change the ram. could also be that you would need to apply paste on the processor.or you laptop VGA is weak
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by alphaNomega: 6:32am On Jun 09, 2020
This is why you should never buy fairly used laptops (or electronics)

The RAM could be the issue here but the ultimate solution in is to buy another laptop
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Autoeng: 11:36am On Jun 17, 2020
ellagabs:

Hi Ella, please, I need your help with turnitin plagiarism

Thanks for always having a beautiful heart.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Christie171(f): 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2020
alphaNomega:

The RAM could be the issue here but the ultimate solution in is to buy another laptop
Do you have New laptops available now?
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by ellagabs(f): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2020
Autoeng:
Hi Ella, please, I need your help with turnitin plagiarism

Thanks for always having a beautiful heart.

see scope
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Autoeng: 11:26pm On Jun 17, 2020
ellagabs:

see scope
Aunty, please naw.... Actually, you have beautiful heart.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by udemzyudex(m): 12:57am On Jun 18, 2020
alphaNomega:

Funny, even if you buy new laptop today, it doesn't mean it won't develop fault tomorrow, that's why there's is warranty for you to return any new products within a specific time after purchase in case it develops fault.
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by henrygold100: 6:56am On Jun 18, 2020
my laptop lowering generator or even trying to off it when pluged in, pls what cud be the problem
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Blackgrunt(m): 10:07am On Aug 18, 2020
bigl:

My 8540p suddenly switched off then refused to power on.
When I press the power button the power light flashes green 3 time very fast then turns red and goes off. ( While doing this the fan comes on then goes off)
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by bigl: 10:40am On Aug 18, 2020
Blackgrunt:

My 8540p suddenly switched off then refused to power on.
When I press the power button the power light flashes green 3 time very fast then turns red and goes off. ( While doing this the fan comes on then goes off)

Remove the battery.
Disconnect the laptop from power supply
Press and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds
Reinsert the battery, connect the power supply and power on
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by bigl: 10:59am On Aug 18, 2020
henrygold100:
my laptop lowering generator or even trying to off it when pluged in, pls what cud be the problem

Mine does that too.

2 things.

1. Your laptop is draining or demanding more power than it needs due to a big fat charger or
2. You have lowered your gen output capacity to save fuel, u know, naija sense.

I use a 4.7A output charger for my 8540p and I've been using it with APC power surge since August 2017, never got a downtime or HDD issues. Upgraded to SSD and it's been awesome except the silly overheating due to that thermal paste isssh ....
Re: Help: My PC Keeps Destroying HDDs! by Blackgrunt(m): 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2020
bigl:

Remove the battery.
Disconnect the laptop from power supply
Press and hold down the power button for about 30 seconds
Reinsert the battery, connect the power supply and power on

E no work bro .
Tried this a million times .
In this state the screen does not power at all . The lights on the keys flash once then go off

(1) (Reply)

I Just Got My Laptop; What Antivirus Is Better? / sold / Help With Lost Folder, Broken File

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.