Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,993 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? (1553 Views)

Parts Of A Car That Has The Biggest Impact On Fuel Economy / Zimbabwe Man Beats Tesla, Invents Electric Car That Does Not Require Charging / Mechanic Creates 2-faced Car That Can Be Driven Forward & Back At The Same Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 1:44pm On Jun 04, 2020
I bought a car from a car dealer in Abuja earlier this year. He gave me the necessary documents of the original owner and a 'Vehicle sales agreement' as receipt for the purchase.
The car documents expired last year.
I did not do change of ownership because I did not have enough funds left (big mistake).
Now I want to sell the car and everyone is asking to know if the car is in my name.
So my question is, can I sell the car without doing change of ownership? (Since I do not have enough funds to process change of ownership at the moment).
If yes, what documents should I demand from the car dealer so that I can sell the car without issues.
Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by incogni2o: 1:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
Funny this question would be answered on Nairaland.

If you know what I'm thinking grin
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:46pm On Jun 04, 2020
Buying a car and not having funds to make proper documentation has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

But you've admitted you made a mistake, so I guess it's fine, eh?

1 Like

Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Davash222(m): 1:50pm On Jun 04, 2020
Oga, you sure say na you get the car

Asking for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by thesicilian: 2:09pm On Jun 04, 2020
lol. How much is change of ownership? This your story is suspicious. You better say the truth now so that the criminals here can help you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 2:31pm On Jun 04, 2020
thesicilian:
lol. How much is change of ownership? This your story is suspicious. You better say the truth now so that the criminals here can help you.
Not at all. I bought the car and my bank statement shows proof of payment. I think I'll do the change of ownership to make it easy.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 2:32pm On Jun 04, 2020
Davash222:

Asking for everyone.
Haha, yes it's mine.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 2:33pm On Jun 04, 2020
Hey guys, how much is change of ownership.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by osato45: 3:55pm On Jun 04, 2020
It depends on the state, and if the car is an suv or a saloon, you would be given a new number plate in your own name. It could cost between 28 and 40k
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by nurey(m): 4:17pm On Jun 04, 2020
Paperwork:
I bought a car from a car dealer in Abuja earlier this year. He gave me the necessary documents of the original owner and a 'Vehicle sales agreement' as receipt for the purchase.
The car documents expired last year.
I did not do change of ownership because I did not have enough funds left (big mistake).
Now I want to sell the car and everyone is asking to know if the car is in my name.
So my question is, can I sell the car without doing change of ownership? (Since I do not have enough funds to process change of ownership at the moment).
If yes, what documents should I demand from the car dealer so that I can sell the car without issues.
Thanks for your contribution.

You can sell a car or buy a car that is not in your name, it isn't a big deal. I have bought several cars that are not in seller/dealers names and I have sold a car that wasn't even in my name.

1. Every vehicle requires genuine documents to be on the road and registered with an individual, all you have to do is call the number on the original documents to confirm the sale authorization

look for the name online and contact the owner or

put the name, plate number and VIN online to retrieve any stolen information about the vehicle.

2. I drive cars that are not registered in my name and if police ask me I always tell them it's mine I just haven't changed the ownership details because of time. I have only had issues with this once when I was stopped at 4am wee time I bailed out with 200 naira grin
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by billynoni(m): 4:44pm On Jun 04, 2020
Davash222:

Asking for everyone.
Please, please and please don't ask on my behalf. Lemme ask him, myself... Oya oga answer us, true true you sure say na you get the car?
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by thesicilian: 5:16pm On Jun 04, 2020
Paperwork:

Not at all. I bought the car and my bank statement shows proof of payment. I think I'll do the change of ownership to make it easy.
Yeah, just try and do it. Police issue is not something anyone would want right now, things are already stressful enough as it is.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 5:18pm On Jun 04, 2020
nurey:

You can sell a car or buy a car that is not in your name, it isn't a big deal. I have bought several cars that are not in seller/dealers names and I have sold a car that wasn't even in my name.

1. Every vehicle requires genuine documents to be on the road and registered with an individual, all you have to do is call the number on the original documents to confirm the sale authorization

look for the name online and contact the owner or

put the name, plate number and VIN online to retrieve any stolen information about the vehicle.

2. I drive cars that are not registered in my name and if police ask me I always tell them it's mine I just haven't changed the ownership details because of time. I have only had issues with this once when I was stopped at 4am wee time I bailed out with 200 naira grin
Thank you so much for this. Now I can talk my way through the sales.
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Heavensent01(m): 12:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
osato45:
It depends on the state, and if the car is an suv or a saloon, you would be given a new number plate in your own name. It could cost between 28 and 40k

bro if I want to get a Nigeria used golf 3 from someone. what do you suggest I should do or look up to in this ownership of a things

does the change of ownership call for a new plait number?
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by osato45: 4:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Heavensent01:

bro if I want to get a Nigeria used golf 3 from someone. what do you suggest I should do or look up to in this ownership of a things

does the change of ownership call for a new plait number?
let the current name of the vehicle licence particulars match the name on the plate number.

You can carry the car documents plus the purchase agreement and go to the nearest licencing office in your locality, explain to them your intentions of wanting to do a change of ownership

Then they would tell you what is obtainable.

Note that if they aren't going to give you a new plate number, do not bother doing it there,

just send the particulars to me, and I would do the running around for you in benin but it would cost you, but you would get your car registered in your name with a new plate number to that effect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by Paperwork: 9:10pm On Jun 10, 2020
osato45:
let the current name of the vehicle licence particulars match the name on the plate number.

You can carry the car documents plus the purchase agreement and go to the nearest licencing office in your locality, explain to them your intentions of wanting to do a change of ownership

Then they would tell you what is obtainable.

Note that if they aren't going to give you a new plate number, do not bother doing it there,

just send the particulars to me, and I would do the running around for you in benin but it would cost you, but you would get your car registered in your name with a new plate number to that effect
Alright thanks man. I went to the license office in jos and explained. It'll cost 14k to do change of ownership. Planning to do it this week.

1 Like

Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by mustydeen(m): 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2020
Paperwork:
I bought a car from a car dealer in Abuja earlier this year. He gave me for your contribution.

The way car theft is handled in Nigeria, way worse than Murder.

Don't try it. I know people by virtue of eye wey see, make cut enter. 10k, eye wey see money is currently at Panti.

Your story get colorbi. Dont
Re: Help: Can I Sell A Car That's Not In My Name? by osato45: 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
Paperwork:

Alright thanks man. I went to the license office in jos and explained. It'll cost 14k to do change of ownership. Planning to do it this week.
great, i hope it comes with a new plate number for you. Enjoy you ride man

(1) (Reply)

LPG Conversion..... Possible Issues / What Is Difference Type Of Benz W203 Engine? / Are Kia And Hyundai Cars As Reliable As Toyota Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.