Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,892 members, 7,828,151 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) (2014 Views)

Nigerian Lady Shares Photo Of The 'Akara' Her Friend Made / How To Make Nigerian Akara (bean Cake) With A Blender| Easy Steps For Begineers / How Different People Behave When They Want To Buy Akara - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by QVicky10(f): 7:25pm On Jun 04, 2020
Good evening chefs in the house. I really like akara and decided that I will make today, so as to improve my cooking skill and save myself the cost of buying it. I followed the directions from this website https://cheflolaskitchen.com/akara-acaraje/. But the akara did not turn out as I expected. Does anyone have tips on how to improve my akara making. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1 Share

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by onward4life(m): 7:29pm On Jun 04, 2020
That's it nah....its like Yu did not allow it fry a little longer

U cud also use palm oil !!!

What u have there is home made...

Reminds me, how mumsy always prepared it those days so tasty u cud consume without bread or akamu

if the person that went to buy them they waste time!

Diff is add lots of water and form commercial quantity.. .

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by QVicky10(f): 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2020
I allowed it to fry for some time and I used very little water. I was told to use a very small amount of water. It tastes like akara but is very oily. Thanks for response though @onward4life I really appreciate it.
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by kinah(f): 9:30pm On Jun 04, 2020
Key things to note when making akara

1. Mixing - mix the paste till it is fluffy this helps to make it airy or when blending with Blender let it spin well.

2. Oil - ensure there is enough oil for frying.

3.like it is said earlier it didn't stay longer if it did the colour will be darker.

4. Remove to put in a kitchen towel to remove excess oil.

5. Some people add egg to give it volume
I love to add diced onions
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by QVicky10(f): 10:21pm On Jun 04, 2020
@Kinah. Thank you very much for these tips. I will incorporate them when am doing akara next time. Once again thanks a lot.
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by Pierced(f): 12:54am On Jun 05, 2020
Probably u added too much water when blending the bean.

The beans need to be blended thick.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by dalass(f): 6:42am On Jun 05, 2020
It looks thin. Use a lot of groundnut oil or palm oil for frying (deep frying) I.e to make it roundish.

It has to be thick....Except you have a powerful blender that can blend beans with a little amount of water, you may go to the commercial owners of grinding machine and tell them its for akara....they won't add too much water.....
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by switkera(f): 7:26pm On Jun 05, 2020
QVicky10:
I allowed it to fry for some time and I used very little water. I was told to use a very small amount of water. It tastes like akara but is very oily. Thanks for response though @onward4life I really appreciate it.
Akara soaks in plenty oil if the heat frying it is low. Next time make sure you regulate the heat appropriately, not too high and not too low.
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by onward4life(m): 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2020
switkera:
Akara soaks in plenty oil if the heat frying it is low. Next time make sure you regulate the heat appropriately, not too high and not too low.

Chef chi grin wink grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by pocohantas(f): 5:29pm On Jun 06, 2020
QVicky10:
@. Thank you very much for these tips. I will incorporate them when am doing akara next time. Once again thanks a lot.

Your akara obviously soaked oil;

1: You put it into the frying pot before the oil got heated, so it started soaking oil.

2. After putting it in, the heat was too low, so it continued soaking oil.

3. You freaked out and started turning it, thus upsetting the shape.

You were on the right track, na small thing spoil am...

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by QVicky10(f): 5:41pm On Jun 06, 2020
Once more thanks for all the answers I received. I will do my best to incorporate them the next time I am making akara.
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by chii8(f): 7:39pm On Jun 06, 2020
pocohantas:

Your akara obviously soaked oil;

1: You put it into the frying pot before the oil got heated, so it started soaking oil.

2. After putting it in, the heat was too low, so it continued soaking oil.

3. You freaked out and started turning it, thus upsetting the shape.

You were on the right track, na small thing spoil am...

You've said it all,he panicked! lol...but good attempt, just heat your oil properly and make the beans paste thick....
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by mamatwiny(f): 8:50pm On Jun 06, 2020
I made my first akara this morning, however,some of my akara was not done inside, especially the later batches. I guess I have to reduce the heat next time. Also, I was not able to get them to be the same size. The same thing that happened when I fried my puff puff yesterday. Is there any tip to get same measurements?
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 06, 2020
Mehnnn... This is no akara.

You put too much water in the pudding and your oil was low.
You need much oil to enable the akara stay afloat while frying and avoid the bottom pan making it flat out.

Next time, grind bean into a very thick paste.
Then get a small mortar, scoop a little batch and stir vigorously with the pestle to give it a fluffy texture before scooping into the oil. That way it bounces up quickly and easily immediately it enters the oil.

Then you flip after a few mins to avoid burning one side. Also keep reducing and increasing the heat of the gas to avoid burning or soaking too much oil if the heat is too low.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by Heyyounotyou(f): 12:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
Weldone on your first attempt. kiss..use medium heat so that the inside can done properly and to get the same size use the same spoon to be scooping the mixture..
mamatwiny:
I made my first akara this morning, however,some of my akara was not done inside, especially the later batches. I guess I have to reduce the heat next time. Also, I was not able to get them to be the same size. The same thing that happened when I fried my puff puff yesterday. Is there any tip to get same measurements?
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by DigitB: 1:03pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by 2special(m): 8:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
Oya fry another akara and upload it on this page
Re: Please Who Knows How To Make Akara (bean Cake) by Futurejoy(f): 9:16pm On Jun 15, 2020
QVicky10:
Good evening chefs in the house. I really like akara and decided that I will make today, so as to improve my cooking skill and save myself the cost of buying it. I followed the directions from this website https://cheflolaskitchen.com/akara-acaraje/. But the akara did not turn out as I expected. Does anyone have tips on how to improve my akara making. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Check YouTube...you will get the ethics. I would have taught you my recipe but it’s very sacred. I will put up a picture of my home made Akara soon.

(1) (Reply)

Catering Sch / In Urgent Need Of An Already-made Cake. / See The Massive Catch Of Over 2,000 Catfish In My Neighborhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.