Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg (2362 Views)

Pictures From PDP Rally In Sabon Birni LG, Sokoto State / Bola Tinubu Turbaned The Defender (Dakare) Of Birni Gwari (Photos) / Buhari Sympathizes With Niger Republic Over Terrorist Attack That Killed 70 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by BabaRamota1980: 12:57am On Jun 05, 2020
In this interview with ADENIYI OLUGBEMI, a Special Adviser to the Minister of Police Affairs and former Chairman of the Sabon Birni Local Government Area, Sokoto State, Idris Gobir, speaks on the attacks in Sabon Birni, where 70 people were killed recently.

Banditry is synonymous with Sabon Birni, your local government area. What are the reasons for this?

It will be difficult to pinpoint reasons why these bandits are doing what they are doing and it will be difficult for me to speak on their behalf, but I can only see survival and destructive motives behind their attacks. They either come to steal and loot to get food, rustle our animals, kidnap for ransom, and at times, come to kill and maim for no just case.

From your findings, who area those behind these dastard acts?

Quote me anywhere, they are Fulani. I do not mean the legitimate herdsmen, who rear their animals, but the criminal elements among the Fulani. Everything about the bandits terrorising our areas is Fulani. You can easily deduce from their outward appearance, their accent; even when they negotiate for ransom, they speak the Fulfulde language. Worse of all, their operations know no brotherhood; they rob, kidnap, maim and kill their fellow Fulani whenever they strike. These bandits are no stranger to the people; the people know their exact locations.

The latest attack in the Sabon Birni Local Government Area left more than 70 people dead and several injured. How come they had the audacity to operate freely without any resistance from the people?

The attack you are referring to was a coordinated one and information at our disposal revealed that they seriously mobilised and called for reinforcement from other groups operating in the Isa/Bafarawa areas of the state, and those operating in the Maradun and Shinkafi local government areas of Zamfara State.

According to an eyewitness, who escaped the massacre by a whisker, the bandits well-armed bandits stormed five villages on motorcycles and were shooting indiscriminately. They killed and maimed anyone in sight. The number of casualties after the attack was 25 in Garki; 13 in Dan-Aduwa; another 25 in Kuzari; six in Katuma; and five in Masawa. Two others later died in hospital, while there are many undergoing treatment for life-threatening injuries.

You claimed the people knew the location of the dens of the bandits. Why have they not volunteered information to the appropriate authorities to end the ceaseless attacks?

Our people always play their role by passing information to the security agencies, but at times, they are visited with reprisals for volunteering such information. Most times, we are helpless, having realised that fighting bandits is not a tea party. These are criminal elements, who have made the bushes and forests their abode and hideouts for years. They have the edge of more familiarity with the terrain over the security operatives. Taking the battle to them in the bush is like confronting those involved in oil bunkering in the creek.

They operate in clusters and can easily disperse and regroup in the event of an onslaught against them. They are in Sabon Birni, Isa, Goronyo and Gada, just to mention a few local government areas of Sokoto State. Likewise, we are susceptible to attacks from those operating from Maradun, Shinkafi and Zurmi local government areas of Zamfara State. It is evidently clear that we need a highly coordinated and tactical security approach to tackle and win the war against the bandits.

Your kinsmen have suffered heavy casualties; can you estimate the magnitude of your human and material losses?

In all modesty, it will be hard to put a particular figure on the human and material losses we have suffered, because banditry did not start recently. It had been with us for long. I can vividly recall my encounter with them six years ago when I was a commissioner. My Prado SUV was perforated with bullets, but Alhamdulilahi, I am alive today to tell the story. Kudos to the concerned group that came up with a figure, putting attacks from January this year till date at 270 casualties.

Property wise, by my own estimation, it will stand at over N2bn. Are we talking of paid ransom, razed buildings, looted/destroyed farm produce or animals that were rustled? Assuming we put a price tag of N200,000 on each cow and 1,000 cows were rusted by these bandits, how much is that? Then, how much will 10,000 and many more rustled cows cost?

Senator Ibrahim Gobir, who represents the Sokoto North-East at the Senate, alleged that parts of his constituency were under the control of bandits and the locals relied on Niger Republic security agencies for protection. Some community leaders described his allegation as false. Is there any iota of truth in his allegation?

Today, in Sabon Birni, I am a stakeholder and we all know one another. My response to the claim and counter claim is that posterity will judge all of us. One thing nobody can wish away is that the outcry of Senator Ibrahim Gobir brought our plight to the limelight and we are glad by the quick response from the Federal Government. There was prompt deployment of both air and ground troops after the last attack in Sabon Birni and this has rekindled the hope in our people that life will soon return to normal. One significant thing is that the troops are working in synergy with the locals by collaborating with them and relying on information from them in the onslaught against the bandits.

How true is it that the Niger Republic police are the ones providing security for Nigerians in your part of the country?

Let me state this for clarity; Sabon Birni is a border town in Sokoto State, Nigeria, and shares borders with two provinces (states) in Niger Republic namely: Maradi and Tawa. Sabon Birni is a transnational community that shares affinity with the Niger Republic from Gidan Runji down to Madawa, Maradi, Tawa and Konni. The people are also Gobirawas, same with their kin in Illela, Isa, Goronyo and up to Gada local government areas in Nigeria. What affects the people of Sabon Birni and Isa local government areas, as well as other border areas in Nigeria, affects those also around the Niger Republic borders and vice versa.

Our people attend hospital in Tsululu, Niger Republic, and so their people do come to our General Hospital in Sabon Birni. Our relationship transcends economic and trade benefits; inter-marriage is a lesser word; we have blood relationship and nothing can separate us.

When I was the local government chairman, we were holding inter-community security meetings. What Senator Ibrahim Gobir said is a statement of fact, because when the bandits sacked the entire Dama village, they could only run to Katsira and seek refuge in Niger Republic. What is the big issue in this? Are we not together in ECOWAS, carrying passports with the ECOWAS logo. The state government that is raising an eyebrow now; how many times have they gone to Niger Republic for meetings on economic and socio-cultural ties?

Before the arrival of troops in your area, what was the strength of the Nigerian security forces in the border areas?

The strength of security forces stationed in Sabon Birni, which I am very familiar with, is a far cry from being adequate to provide security for life and property. Our saving grace at present is the deployment of troops to flush out the bandits.

Senator Gobir spoke our minds. Our people are being killed unjustifiably; our source of economy is being taken away from us. Should we then play politics with the safety of the lives of our people by folding our arms and shut up our mouths?

You claimed that the bandits are no strangers to the locals. Why can’t the government negotiate a ceasefire with them?

I do not subscribe to negotiation, because these are criminals, whose stock in trade is looting, arson, kidnapping, animal rustling and killing. This was how Boko Haran was treated with kid gloves until we got to where we are today. Inside sources informed us that the state government’s position at the meeting between Governor Aminu Tambuwal and President Muhammadu Buhari on this matter was to toe the line of negotiating with the bandits, which fell flat.

This same negotiation was adopted when a committee constituted by the state government and headed by the deputy governor, which also had a retired colonel, who is the commissioner for establishment and security matters, deceived the government that they met and held discussions with groups of bandits. It is now glaring that the arms they claimed were surrendered by the bandits were a smokescreen.

The attacks that ensued after the so-called negotiation and ceasefire showed that the process was a fraud and it is absolutely clear that the committee capitalised on the ignorance of the governor, when it comes to security matters. If those concerned are men of honour, they ought to have tendered unreserved apologies to the departed souls, who were cut short by their fraudulent deeds, and resign from office with their heads bowed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/quote-me-bandits-who-killed-70-people-in-sokoto-are-fulani-sabon-birni-ex-lg-chair/%3famp=1

1 Share

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Galactico4ever(m): 1:03am On Jun 05, 2020
Everyone knows that Fulanis are those terrorizing this country,especially in the north.He's just reiterating a well know fact.It's to divide this nation so that everyone can go their seperate ways.

9 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Righteousness89(m): 1:34am On Jun 05, 2020
Its no longer a Farmers/ Herdsmen Crisis?

May GOD Have Mercy for the innocent blood that have been Wasted through these years!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Furiad(m): 1:45am On Jun 05, 2020
T

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Freestainworld(m): 3:53am On Jun 05, 2020
this literature big oo, but from the little I read, he said fulanis are responsible for the killing, my people I no try?

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Nobody: 4:19am On Jun 05, 2020
From his boldness and high head, one can boldly say... "This particular attack touched him"...

Was he this vocal when it's happened outside his enclave?

6 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by crispus09(m): 4:29am On Jun 05, 2020
every body knows already na abi na Yoruba bandits Will go to kano where dem no know go kill people in there,
Hausa keep romancing fulani because of there religion affiliation but fulani has grand Plan to take over nigeria starting from the north.

5 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Nobody: 4:48am On Jun 05, 2020
This is serious oooh....But I still believe they are not Nigerians at all... Shame on Femi Adeshina... Give them land or they kill you

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by gambia(m): 4:57am On Jun 05, 2020
Buhari should call his boys to order.

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Dikegodspower(m): 5:11am On Jun 05, 2020
what do u expect when their grand patron is the president.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Yankee101: 5:30am On Jun 05, 2020
When you breed a snake to kill your enemies, it multiplies and have little snakes when there's no more food for all of them, they turn on you, their breeder

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Jlow2: 6:09am On Jun 05, 2020
also quote me anywhere Fulani bandits and herdsmen re the same, anywer Fulani bandits or herdsmen attack, Fulani settlement that house the attackers is not far from der, if you know Fulani s ideology against perceived enemies you will understand what am talking about, if Fulani declares war dey send kola to there brothers across Africa, its a code which means we need support we re at war, in return der brothers support with cows to be sold and buy weapons, imagine selling 300 big cows to buy AK47s, dis is one of der many tactics, our northern leaders knw dis, but the north Dnt lyk truth ,a lot of them benefit from the situation, president and all service chiefs re from the north, this Fulani's bandits re not faceless, they re human beings

4 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Flyingngel(m): 6:25am On Jun 05, 2020
Pls say to louder.
Truth that Buhari and his co- travellers refuse to hear.
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Captainrambo2: 6:38am On Jun 05, 2020
The idiot called buhari said its Libyans.

Later he said it's just Farmer herdsmen crises.

The bourdillon drug lord said it was Evan's.

This is Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by helinues: 6:41am On Jun 05, 2020
They are still your brothers.

Abeg, make una settle the palava between una.

Na family affairs
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Lyydia(f): 7:10am On Jun 05, 2020
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:20am On Jun 05, 2020
The Fulanis in the government know that the monster they created is now bigger than them and are now a big problem. They are jealous that the southern part of the country is peaceful that is why they are pushing them to the south.

The robbery that left many people dead in Kogi yesterday is the same people. That is their style because they don't have value for human life.

Tell me what will make an armed robber go to a bank and kill people including women who pose no danger to them. Also, went to the police station to kill policemen?

These are the same people. But the APC government lead by the Fulanis and the compromised media will not tell you the truth.

Let's keep looking at the situation waiting for 2023 when Tinubu will become president to fight the terrorist. That is delusional. Keep fighting unarmed IPOB while your southern demography is changing every day.

Your problem is not Biafra, those fighting for Biafra have a legitimate concern. Your country is in ruins and by Fulani Terrorists, bandits, and herdsmen.

2 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Fasindo: 7:21am On Jun 05, 2020
shocked

Family affairs please this should be settled amicably

There is a big civil war going on in d north that people are not seeing it.
There is no peace in Borno, Kaduna, Zamfara, Kastina and Sokoto States.

The truth is that almost all northern states are fighting a secret battle but must of these are not reported.

You hardly sleep in d north with two eyes closed.

Arewa tana bukatar zaman lafiya.

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by mrvitalis(m): 7:26am On Jun 05, 2020
The simple solution to this is very simple ...jukun people have shown Nigerians the way but we won't ever listen

If fulanis attack u , don't shout tl,don't even call the police because they would protect them, just find the nearest Fulani settlement and kill every living things there simple ... massacre like 3 settlement. If they do it like 5 times get same result them won't attack u any more

U don't hear jukun villages complaining ..instead it's fulanis complaining ...this people are animals ...treat them like one

4 Likes

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Iamgrey5(m): 8:01am On Jun 05, 2020
mrvitalis:
The simple solution to this is very simple ...jukun people have shown Nigerians the way but we won't ever listen

If fulanis attack u , don't shout tl,don't even call the police because they would protect them, just find the nearest Fulani settlement and kill every living things there simple ... massacre like 3 settlement. If they do it like 5 times get same result them won't attack u any more

U don't hear jukun villages complaining ..instead it's fulanis complaining ...this people are animals ...treat them like one
Bruv, stop promoting violence
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Racoon(m): 8:06am On Jun 05, 2020
This one touched him hence he is voicing out and calling it what they truly are-fulani killers terrorists and no more herdsmen-farmers clashes? Pls tell it to Mr.President. Perhaps he may listen now.
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
That "stop promoting violence" is what has be emboldening the bandits.
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by austine4real(m): 8:29am On Jun 05, 2020
The vegetable president will overlooked this
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by mrvitalis(m): 9:20am On Jun 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Yes keep talking let fulanis keep killing

Since 1850s northern minorities have been thinking like u how far ...only juku and tiv that did what I said can be said to be free from fulanis

Go and fight a lion respecting it rights
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by CodeTemplar: 9:21am On Jun 05, 2020
Hmmm... and we know Buhari's stance on Fulanis. God help us all before 2023.
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Chynwe(f): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2020
Hope Uzodinma,come and see the atrocities of the people you are welcoming into Imo State. Better retreat from allowing them into Imo
because we love the peace we are enjoying
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by maiunguwar: 10:21am On Jun 05, 2020
The solution to the Fulani menace is to give them the Rwanda treatment.These people with active support of this administration are busy arming up and building camps in our forest.We must confront there menace now before it is too late.
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by llakes4real: 11:35am On Jun 05, 2020
Everyday the army are just launching different operations around the country.

Why are our leaders so greedy? Why not restructure the security system since this one glaringly not working for us!
Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by BabaRamota1980: 4:25am On Jun 14, 2020
mrvitalis:

You do have a good point.

1 Like

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by Wiseandtrue(f): 6:29am On Jun 14, 2020
That's not a news no

And they are successful because the president is also a Fulani looking at the other way undecided

Let it be the shites or Igbos now..

Re: Quote Me; Bandits, Who Killed 70 People In Sokoto, Are Fulani –sabon Birni Ex-lg by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:04am On Jun 14, 2020
helinues:
They are still your brothers.

Abeg, make una settle the palava between una.

Na family affairs

Ur creator would ask u why u supported the killings, you wld tell him bcoz ur party was in power

(1) (2) (Reply)

Civil War: Igbos Must First Apologize To Niger Deltans For Killing Our People. / Meet Prophet Who Predicted Unknown Gunmen Coming - VIDEO / The Man Who Caused IPOB Soldiers To Hide In Ceilings...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.