Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,690 members, 7,813,280 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? (1284 Views)

[Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / C Programming Assignment Help ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Dipsaint(m): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2020
Although there’s no place for C++ among the biggest trends of the internet, many people are not aware of its importance “under the surface”.

C++’s biggest advantages are big efficiency and speed. It can also easily optimise huge amounts of data. That’s why it is most often applied in big, robust applications such as servers, where data processing is crucial. What is more, its efficiency reduces the energy usage, which make it a great language for mobile devices.

In fact, some of the software giants of all times are based on C++. It is the main technology in case of Microsoft, Oracle, Mozilla, Opera, PayPal, Evernote and Linkedin. And it is partly used in the code of Amazon, Facebook, SAP and Adobe.

The above list is very impressive, yet it is only the beginning. Google still applies C++ in some fields of its search engine. Most importantly, Google Chrome was primarily written in this language. Being extremely popular among users all over the world, Google required high performance and big stability, which are the main characteristics of C++.
Finally, C++ is present in most of the operating systems, such as Windows or iOS; and some of the high budget AAA games, such as Grand Theft Auto or Metal Gear Solid.

Main Use Cases:

System Programming

Game Development

IoT and Real-Time Systems

Machine Learning, Deep Learning

Embedded Systems, Distributed Systems

Job Market:

Indeed has ranked C++ as the 4th most demanding programming language with 41 K job posting. Also, C++ developers earn $108 K per annum. StackOverflow developer survey has shown that C++ developers can draw a higher salary compared to Java, albeit with a longer experience.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 05, 2020
Dipsaint:
Although there’s no place for C++ among the biggest trends of the internet, many people are not aware of its importance “under the surface”.

C++’s biggest advantages are big efficiency and speed. It can also easily optimise huge amounts of data. That’s why it is most often applied in big, robust applications such as servers, where data processing is crucial. What is more, its efficiency reduces the energy usage, which make it a great language for mobile devices.

In fact, some of the software giants of all times are based on C++. It is the main technology in case of Microsoft, Oracle, Mozilla, Opera, PayPal, Evernote and Linkedin. And it is partly used in the code of Amazon, Facebook, SAP and Adobe.

The above list is very impressive, yet it is only the beginning. Google still applies C++ in some fields of its search engine. Most importantly, Google Chrome was primarily written in this language. Being extremely popular among users all over the world, Google required high performance and big stability, which are the main characteristics of C++.
Finally, C++ is present in most of the operating systems, such as Windows or iOS; and some of the high budget AAA games, such as Grand Theft Auto or Metal Gear Solid.

Main Use Cases:

System Programming

Game Development

Job Market:

Indeed has ranked C++ as the 4th most demanding programming language with 41 K job posting. Also, C++ developers earn $108 K per annum. StackOverflow developer survey has shown that C++ developers can draw a higher salary compared to Java, albeit with a longer experience.

Very true. C++ surprisingly even has a gui framework. C though is better when you don't want to write dependent code (keywords in C++ like throw, catch, new, delete, try etc. Are library dependent and therefore machine dependent). But using C and C++ throws security out of the window.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by stanliwise(m): 4:01pm On Jun 05, 2020
SegFault:

Very true. C++ surprisingly even has a gui framework. C though is better when you don't want to write dependent code (keywords in C++ like throw, catch, new, delete, try etc. Are library dependent and therefore machine dependent). But using C and C++ throws security out of the window.
What do you mean by the bold statement ?
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 05, 2020
stanliwise:
What do you mean by the bold statement ?
Ever heard of buffer overflows, the format string attack, integer overflow attacks etc. Compiler vendors haven't (and I do believe don't want to) address these issues.
Buffer overflows are the worst for example:

int main()
{
char buff[70];
char buff1[1000];
strcpy(buff,buff1);
return 0;
}

Strcpy is a function that copies the second argument into the first that is in this format: strcpy(destination, source) it is going to copy buff1 into buff. But wait buff is to small of course it is but strcpy doesn't give a sh!t highest a segmentation fault will occur but if it doesn't it will overwrite whatever is on the stack and worst of all the return address (that is where the last instruction was before main was called) will be overwritten with whatever is in buff1. This is a bad problem.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Dipsaint(m): 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2020
SegFault:

Ever heard of buffer overflows, the format string attack, integer overflow attacks etc. Compiler vendors haven't (and I do believe don't want to) address these issues.

int main()
{
char buff[70];
char buff1[1000];
strcpy(buff,buff1);
return 0;
}

Strcpy is a function that copies the second argument into the first that is in this format: strcpy(destination, source) it is going to copy buff1 into buff. But wait buff is to small of course it is but strcpy doesn't give a sh!t highest a segmentation fault will occur but if it doesn't it will overwrite whatever is on the stack and worst of all the return address (that is where the last instruction was before main was called) will be overwritten with whatever is in buff1. This is a bad problem.

I don't think I understand
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
Dipsaint:

I don't think I understand
You would have to understand computer architecture small and read Assembly programming books to understand what I am talking about.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by stanliwise(m): 9:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
SegFault:

int main()
{
char buff[70];
char buff1[1000];
strcpy(buff,buff1);
return 0;
}

Those method are dprecated and only coders not informed will use them. Buffer overflow can occur in any program but that is not enough reason to conclude that security risk is high using C++ or C. They are among the best tools to create security app as they have finer control of program flow and memory management which is essential for security tools.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by nurain150(m): 3:02am On Jun 06, 2020
Dipsaint:

Main Use Cases:

System Programming

Game Development

Job Market:

Indeed in this part of the world nobody needs cpp programmer ..someone better off joining open source project to broden one skill...if you no do game development here cpp na waste
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by nurain150(m): 3:05am On Jun 06, 2020
SegFault:

int main()
{
char buff[70];
char buff1[1000];
strcpy(buff,buff1);
return 0;
}

I think compiler like gcc won't translate any buff into assembly without throwing an error
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Emmoa(m): 4:33am On Jun 06, 2020
nurain150:

I think compiler like gcc won't translate any buff into assembly without throwing an error
Pls pls who can help. Using function to call R.

Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jun 06, 2020
nurain150:

For where it will work because libraries are not the compilers concern.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 06, 2020
Emmoa:
Physicsgrin
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 06, 2020
stanliwise:
Those method are dprecated and only coders not informed will use them. Buffer overflow can occur in any program but that is not enough reason to conclude that security risk is high using C++ or C. They are among the best tools to create security app as they have finer control of program flow and memory management which is essential for security tools.
But hackers would use them. gringrin read Andrew Tanenbaum's modern operating systems books. Everyone that has used C and C++ for long knows the story.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 06, 2020
stanliwise:
If that program was written in a .Net language it will throw an uncaught exception. C# for example even take this example and try it.
C:
int main()
{
char b[2];
for(int i=0; i<7; i++)
{
b[i]=6;
}
return 0;
}

C#:
using System;

class Program
{
public static void main()
{
char a[2];
for(int i=0; i<6; i++)
a[i]=6;
Console.ReadKey();
return;
}
}
The program in C will run in approximately four out of seven times while the one in C# will throw an Exception without ever running. A hacker could inject that piece of code in C in a sensitive area and maybe slot in a value in the hopes of overwriting the return address. That is why people are always careful when writing C code worst of all are dangling pointers and memory leaks.
Re: The Future Of C++ Programming Language– Is It Still Among The Trends? by nurain150(m): 1:31pm On Jun 06, 2020
Emmoa:
R is returning an int value so watch my psedocode ..this is csc or elect eng course so me don know how u are supposed to answer it .

int rfunc(float angle) {
/"R COMPUTING VALUE GOES HERE*/}
int main(void agr,char agrs[]) {
/"Feels the bank angle should be passed as a cmd argument loop trough args array get the bank angle out better still cin the bank angle then pass the value to rfuct*/
int a=rfunct(args[I]);
// a is now R ...then compute the value of using a as R...you have successfully called r as a function...ur lecture self get wahala

,�
}

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Unix/linux Opensource Version To Share-point / Programming Contest! / Little Help With This Python Function

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.