Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad (296 Views)

Family Buries Pastor Siva Moodley After Waiting 579 Days For His Resurrection / Police Detain House On The Rock's Pastor Uche Aigbe For Preaching With AK-47 / Pastor Chidi Eke Dies While Fasting For 40 Days In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Crownbefitsme(f): 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2020

An atheist, Mubarak Bala, has remained in the custody of the Kano State Police command for 40 days without trial for allegedly insulting Prophet Muhammad, The PUNCH reports.

Bala was arrested on April 28, 2020, in Kaduna State following a petition by a lawyer, Salisu Umar, accusing him of posting “inciting comments” on his Facebook wall.

He was subsequently transferred to the custody of the Kano State Police command where he has remained till date.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Kano State, Haruna Abdullahi, refused to comment on the matter when The PUNCH contacted him for comment on Sunday.
However, Mr. Umar, who wrote the petition against Bala, said the suspect had remained in custody because courts in Kano were closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Umar said the police could not release the suspect because of security reasons.

The lawyer said, “All the courts in Kano are not operating because of COVID-19. He was arrested during the lockdown and at that time, all the courts were not sitting until now. Also, the police cannot grant him bail for his own protection.

“Many people are threatening to kill him. So, for his personal protection, the police feel if he is released, his life may be in danger. It is not my intention to get him killed.”

When asked if the suspect would be arraigned before a Shariah court, Umar said, “Why should he be arraigned before a Shariah court? He is not even a Muslim.”

The petition which led to Bala’s arrest reads, “We are submitting this complaint against one Mubarak Bala of Layin Masallacin Bilai, Karkasara Quarters, Kano.

Mubarak was born and raised as a Muslim but for his own personal reason decided to leave Islam for atheism sometime in 2014 and has since then been writing stuff on his Facebook page that are provocative and annoying to the Muslims.”
Prior to his arrest, Bala had posted on his Facebook wall, “Fact is, you have no life after this one. You have been dead before, long before you were born, billions of years on death.”

A search through Bala’s Facebook page also shows him mocking Christian clerics, including the founder of The Synagogue, Church of All Nations, TB Joshua.

In 2014, then 29-year-old Bala was said to have been forcefully committed by his family to a psychiatric hospital in Kano when he renounced Islam.

Though Bala’s family believed he was insane, he was later discharged from the psychiatric hospital after he was declared sane.

Rights group, Humanists International, which champions equality and secularity, has condemned the prolonged detention of Bala.

A statement from the group read in part, “While we know that Bala was initially held in detention in Gbabasawa police station, Kaduna state. Attempts, made by his legal team to locate Bala following his transfer into the custody of Kano State Police Command have been unsuccessful.

“His prolonged detention without charge violates Bala’s rights to liberty, fair trial, freedom of thought and expression, and freedom of movement as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution and international human rights law.”

https://punchng.com/police-detain-atheist-40-days-for-allegedly-insulting-prophet-muhammad/

Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Vyzz: 11:08pm On Jun 07, 2020
I am. Not supporting anybody but

These atheist sometimes can be annoying and aggressive...

The way the insult u and make u look like a fool just because the want u to believe that there is no God.

The think their selves most enlightened

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by GRIMMJOE(m): 11:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
Vyzz:

The way the insult u and make u look like a fool just because the want u to believe that there is no God.

The Atheist are not the ones killing Christians, funny they are the aggressive one.

GOD BLESS
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Vyzz: 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2020
GRIMMJOE:
The Atheist are not the ones killing Christians, funny they are the aggressive one.

GOD BLESS

Brother, I didn't mention any religion
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by matrix199(m): 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2020
The detention was deliberate because they know there's no substance in the charge they intend to present in the court. As long as the social media bill has not been passed, the court would dismiss the charge they present.

The police on the contrary are not using their wits. Detaining him for 40 days without charging him to court or getting a court order to detain him to enable conclusive investigation is a clear violation of his fundamental human right.

A lawsuit is inevitable..
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Dantedasz(m): 2:48am On Jun 08, 2020
Vyzz:

So because he does not believe in your god and he thinks himself enlightened,his human rights should be abused?
He should be incarcerated without charge and no bail for over 40 days?
OR BETTER STILL HE SHOULD BE KILLED?

Some of you religionists are just sickening and all you guys want is death for anyone who does not believe and share in your dogma!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Juell(m): 6:01am On Jun 08, 2020
Is it constitutional?
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Vyzz: 8:31am On Jun 08, 2020
Dantedasz:

So because he does not believe in your god and he thinks himself enlightened,his human rights should be abused?
He should be incarcerated without charge and no bail for over 40 days?
OR BETTER STILL HE SHOULD BE KILLED?

Some of you religionists are just sickening and all you guys want is death for anyone who does not believe and share in your dogma!

Brother try to read well.

I said I wasn't supporting them...

This is what I was talking about
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Dantedasz(m): 8:53am On Jun 08, 2020
^^^Why are you guys such liars?

This is what you said~~~~~~

Vyzz:

Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Vyzz: 9:07am On Jun 08, 2020
Dantedasz:
^^^Why are you guys such liars?

This is what you said~~~~~~

Didn't u read the first line.

Brother don't quote me if you are not ready to read all the words in my comment and comprehend it
Re: Police Detain Atheist 40 Days For Allegedly Insulting Prophet Muhammad by Dantedasz(m): 9:13am On Jun 08, 2020
Vyzz:

Didn't u read the first line.

Brother don't quote me if you are not ready to read all the words in my comment and comprehend it

I will quote you because this is a forum. Always think deeply before typing on a public forum because you will be taken up if you make a post that lacks empathy like the one you made above!

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo: Coronavirus Is Beginning Of Woes ‘before Lord Returns’ / Islam Is Not By Force: So Don't Force It On Anyone / Prophet Chukwuemeka Odumeje - Clearly Saw This Coming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.