Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Re Educating The Boy-child In The Society - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Re Educating The Boy-child In The Society (254 Views)

UNILAG Ranked 3rd Most Productive School In Africa In Educating Entrepreneurs / Debate : Is Educating Female Child A Waste Of Resources? / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re Educating The Boy-child In The Society by kozmokaz(m): 12:00am On Jun 08, 2020
In furtherance to this, kindly read:

Engr sambo: Sometime in February, I asked my son to dress up properly coz we were going out. He asks if he should tell his sisters to dress up too and I say no - We are going out on a date! Just two of us!

His emotions were mixed I guess. The excitement of going out for a meal and the embarrassment of being seen with your mum at 15. �
Going out with me of course also meant dressing properly, no falling trousers, proper shoes, proper hair, smelling good etc etc �

It was shortly after Valentine's day and I had had a little skit with Mr Man. I also had seen some stories re domestic violence and abuse by some men on their women and I realised that a lot of effort goes to training women on how they should act but never the men.

Before getting into the car, i stood by the door and asked him to open my door for me.
"Why?" He asked

"Because it is what a gentleman would do" I say. "Don't you see your father open doors for me when we go out?" He affirms.

After some eye rolling, he comes and opens the door for me and goes to his seat. I drive us to a restaurant and when he gets there, opens the door, and goes out. I honk and motion for him to come to my side. More eyes rolling. He opens the door for me while staring into space.

"Please take my arm and help me out of the car" I say. He looks at me like i am out of my mind. He obliges and grabs my hand with a sigh.

"When you open the door for me, you have to watch that i do not miss my step" I say. "Do you understand why you must pay attention?" He nods

"Will you hold my handbag and hold my arm as we walk?" I ask.

There I got a categoric "NO". ��

I decide not to push it.

When we get to the restaurant, he walks to his table and sits.

I clear my throat.

"What now?" He asks looking exasperated.

"Please pull out my chair" I say.

More rolling of eyes. He gets up pulls out my chair. I sit and he adjusts it for me.

His meal arrives before mine and before he digs in even forgetting to say Grace ��‍♀ No sir you can't wolf down your food. You have to wait for mine to get here so we eat together. Frustration but hey...you are with mum.

...and then we talked. We really talked. I told him as a man, it is his responsibility to treat a woman right. To take care of and protect his sisters and in same way protect any future woman he will marry.

You see, everyday we "educate" the girl child. We teach them how to talk, walk, how to avoid being victims but we never teach the boys how not to be perpetrators of such crimes.

It is time that we as parents start educating our boys on what it means to be a man and possibly a future father.
It is time we start talking to them and understanding their frustrations rather than leaving them to take it out on defenseless females.

The men who rape are our children.
The men who harass are our children.
The men who beat up women are our children.

The grown ups may have failed but we have a chance to save the next generation.
#WOMENLETSEDUCATE OUR BOYS

#WESAYNOTO RAPE��❌

#COPIED
La Marj

(1) (Reply)

How To Apply For Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil / Useful Links For Jobs and Apartments / Let Me Assist You With Your Npower Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.