Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,542 members, 7,837,081 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

How To Legally Change Your Name In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Legally Change Your Name In Nigeria (433 Views)

How American Woman Married A Nigerian Man While Still Legally Married In The US / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Legally Change Your Name In Nigeria by Ojeremiyanu(f): 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2020
Every Nigerian has the right to change their name legally, however, there are certain conditions attached to this process. To legally change your name in Nigeria;

· You must be a citizen of Nigeria

· You must be an adult. The legal age for an adult in Nigeria is 18 years old, so a child cannot legally change his or her name unless the parent or guardian of the child does it for him or her.

· You cannot change your name to escape debt, a financial liability, or to escape some sort of criminal liability.

· You cannot change your name to commit a crime, or to mislead, such a change of name will be invalid.

There are two main ways to change your name in Nigeria

1) Using marriage certificate: This applies only to women taking up their husband's last name. Only a certificate from a Nigerian Federal registry can be used to effect this change.

NB: The certificate signed in the church are usually from the Federal registry and not Church certificate.

2) Using affidavit: This is done at the federal high court in Nigeria. An affidavit is sworn under oath in front of an authorized magistrate. A copy of the document, with the new changes clearly stated, is provided to prove the new name.

As required by the Nigerian law, every change of name must be published in a national newspaper to complete the name change process. Publishing in a national newspaper or getting your affidavit done shouldn’t be a problem if you are working with Change of Name Nigeria. Please see their details below:

www.changeofnamenigeria.com
IG: @changeofnamepublications
FB: @changeofnamenigeria
Tw: @changeofnameNG
WhatsApp or Call +234 907 214 3162.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have Trust Issues? Trust Issues Quotes For You / . / Cats And Kittens For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.