Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,303 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

My Cucumber Farming Journey - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Farming Journey (2467 Views)

My Snail Farming Journey / 3years challenge with Turkey farming.. (journey with me) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 7:53am On Jun 09, 2020
I have been passionate for farming for long. Well, the opportunity to start what I have long love to do is here.

My Goal
I want to go into commercial farming. And learning from small portion of land is the step I have seen many taken and which I think will help me to gather the right knowledge in farming and this period, cucumber farming.
The success of this journey is what I will work towards yet no matter what the end result is will not discourage me from this journey.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR.
1. I have planted my cucumber seed (500) on 2nd June, 2020 with a plot of land one seed on each hill bed.
2. I had pour 2-days-soaked chicken drops and put on top of the each hill bed and leave it for 2 days then plant my seed.

WHAT I COULDN'T GET
I tried to get organic fertilizer, as that is my preference, but I couldn't get from all the farmers shop I visited. Though I cane across SUPER GROW (GNLD) but I have read so where here that is is adjuvant and not a fertilizer mixture. I will appreciate any recommendations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by Ipromote: 7:55am On Jun 09, 2020
Pictures please I'm interested
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 8:06am On Jun 09, 2020
It started sprouting after 4th day.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 8:13am On Jun 09, 2020
For insect prevention, I would be using natural insecticides. Prevention they say is better than cure...

My Natural Pesticides Combinations:
Neem Leave
Lemon Grass
Ginger
Garlic
Chilli Pepper
Oil Soap (I couldn't get this for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UrTytyVDc - Video Detail
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ugwumichael(m): 9:04am On Jun 09, 2020
following
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by bottlewater1(m): 9:11am On Jun 09, 2020
from what I know cucumber and water melon doesn't require fertilizer except water maybe the soil you are using has poor nutrients
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 9:36am On Jun 09, 2020
bottlewater1:
from what I know cucumber and water melon doesn't require fertilizer except water maybe the soil you are using has poor nutrients
Unless you have excess quantities of organic manure to apply twice a month, you can't grow watermelon and cucumber, in short any fruit vegetable successfully (Modified) that is if you don't use fertilizers at all
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 9:39am On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:
For insect prevention, I would be using natural insecticides. Prevention they say is better than cure...

My Natural Pesticides Combinations:
Neem Leave
Lemon Grass
Ginger
Garlic
Chilli Pepper
Oil Soap (I couldn't get this for now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UrTytyVDc - Video Detail
I don't know a lot about organic cucumber farming, but if you don't have manure, I wonder how you will get good yield. Please work hard to make sure you make it work
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 10:03am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Unless you have excess quantities of organic manure to apply twice a month, you can't grow watermelon and cucumber, in short any fruit vegetable successfully

Thanks so much for this.

And one of the reason I started this is to learn so many things from the knowledgeable ones here.

Firstly, I have never done farming before now, and I have read many journey in this forum.

Now for organic manure/fertilizer, which product would you recommend? As the few farmers shop I have been here in Ibadan have no organic fertilizer except chemical ones.

Thanks.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by bottlewater1(m): 10:12am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

Unless you have excess quantities of organic manure to apply twice a month, you can't grow watermelon and cucumber, in short any fruit vegetable successfully

ok
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abolaji62(m): 10:40am On Jun 09, 2020
Orelope perishable and vegetable fruit seller of Nigeria
Can help you sells all your crop you have in farm like
Tomato marrow cucumber green pepper sweet corn water melon
Green chille rodo okro and etc ..our own is just to remove 10% in any price we sell it, for more info you can cantact us on :shop10 mile12 international market lagos or call 09033053043 or join our whatsapp group: https:///IyafupFnOZQAO7HALCWfSS....thanks
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 10:52am On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:

Thanks so much for this.

And one of the reason I started this is to learn so many things from the knowledgeable ones here.

Firstly, I have never done farming before now, and I have read many journey in this forum.

Now for organic manure/fertilizer, which product would you recommend? As the few farmers shop I have been here in Ibadan have no organic fertilizer except chemical ones.

Thanks.
What I said was for individuals that want to do organic farming without inorganic fertilizers
If it's for foliar/soil drench, you can use DI grow, maxi boost, Haifa bonus plantzyme and other fertilizers like the NPK(only to be applied on the soil) granules every two weeks.
Please if you are interested in making profit from that farm, apply standard fungicides and insecticides. If you were planning to farm without inorganic fertilizers, fungicides, and insecticides, you should have generously incorporated huge quantities of manure into the soil first of all. Cultivating fruit veges organically in this rainy season is not for beginners o
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 11:03am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

What I said was for individuals that want to do organic farming without inorganic fertilizers
If it's for foliar/soil drench, you can use DI grow, maxi boost, Haifa bonus plantzyme and other fertilizers like the NPK(only to be applied on the soil) granules every two weeks.
Please if you are interested in making profit from that farm, apply standard fungicides and insecticides. If you were planning to farm without inorganic fertilizers, fungicides, and insecticides, you should have generously incorporated huge quantities of manure into the soil first of all. Cultivating fruit veges organically in this rainy season is not for beginners o

Thanks so much boss.

Now in my case, I should be focus on using inorganic fertilizer and chemical fungicide and insecticides. Right?

I have sharp shooter for insecticide and RidomilGold as Fungicide. I hope those are good?

Now on applications of Fungicide and insecticide, when is the right time to use? Will I be applying both on same day every 2 weeks?

I will appreciate more info sir.

Thanks again.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 11:14am On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:

Thanks so much boss.

Now in my case, I should be focus on using inorganic fertilizer and chemical fungicide and insecticides. Right?

I have sharp shooter for insecticide and RidomilGold as Fungicide. I hope those are good?

Now on applications of Fungicide and insecticide, when is the right time to use? Will I be applying both on same day every 2 weeks?

I will appreciate more info sir.

Thanks again.
My first fungicide application is btw the 8th- 12th day depending on the rains, after that it's weekly if the rain is not too serious, but if it rains heavily consistently, I shift to every four days( this is from my tomato experience and the little cucumber garden sha) the professors will help out! Which of the ridomil are you using? Mz or +? You should alternate your fungicide(more than 1 active ingredient) spray to avoid disease resistance. What's the active ingredient in your sharpshooter as mainly use chloropyrifos and cypermethrin based insecticides and they can't be used when the cucumbers/any fruit veges are flowering because they scare away all insects including pollinators
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 11:20am On Jun 09, 2020
It's not too late to apply manure if you find one( goat, cow, sheep and rabbit dung can be directly as it doesn't burn) chicken and pig dung needs to be cooled, you can copy Okoroemeka and his method of cooling/fermenting chicken dung. If you can't apply manure, then you must apply inorganic fertilizers ASAP
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 11:32am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

My first fungicide application is btw the 8th- 12th day depending on the rains, after that it's weekly if the rain is not too serious, but if it rains heavily consistently, I shift to every four days( this is from my tomato experience and the little cucumber garden sha) the professors will help out! Which of the ridomil are you using? Mz or +? You should alternate your fungicide(more than 1 active ingredient) spray to avoid disease resistance. What's the active ingredient in your sharpshooter as mainly use chloropyrifos and cypermethrin based insecticides and they can't be used when the cucumbers/any fruit veges are flowering because they scare away all insects including pollinators

Thanks for all the info.
The RidomilGold is MZ68 and the active ingredients are: Metalaxyl-M and Mancozeb

Sharp shooter active ingredients are Profenofos and Cypermethrin.

To alternate my fungicide and insecticide what would you recommend I pair the one I already have with?
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by Nezzjnr: 11:33am On Jun 09, 2020
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 11:39am On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:

Thanks for all the info.
The RidomilGold is MZ68 and the active ingredients are: Metalaxyl-M and Mancozeb

Sharp shooter active ingredients are Profenofos and Cypermethrin.

To alternate my fungicide and insecticide what would you recommend I pair the one I already have with?

If you have upto 6k, you can buy cabrio duo, or since the cucumbers are not much you can use 3 sachets of redforce(copper based) 1 sachet(N500) is enough for the farm with a 16 liter sprayer. As for insecticide, that combination is ok, but immediately they start fruiting, use actara in the evening only
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 11:53am On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:
It's not too late to apply manure if you find one( goat, cow, sheep and rabbit dung can be directly as it doesn't burn) chicken and pig dung needs to be cooled, you can copy Okoroemeka and his method of cooling/fermenting chicken dung. If you can't apply manure, then you must apply inorganic fertilizers ASAP

I actually follow Okoroemeka method of manure before planting. I planted after 2 days of applying that chicken drops. Though I only soaked it for 2 days before applying.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 1:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:

I actually follow Okoroemeka method of manure before planting. I planted after 2 days of applying that chicken drops. Though I only soaked it for 2 days before applying.
What variety of cucumber did you plant
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by kpas4kpas: 1:53pm On Jun 09, 2020
abbeynism:
I have been passionate for farming for long. Well, the opportunity to start what I have long love to do is here.

My Goal
I want to go into commercial farming. And learning from small portion of land is the step I have seen many taken and which I think will help me to gather the right knowledge in farming and this period, cucumber farming.
The success of this journey is what I will work towards yet no matter what the end result is will not discourage me from this journey.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR.
1. I have planted my cucumber seed (500) on 2nd June, 2020 with a plot of land one seed on each hill bed.
2. I had pour 2-days-soaked chicken drops and put on top of the each hill bed and leave it for 2 days then plant my seed.

WHAT I COULDN'T GET
I tried to get organic fertilizer, as that is my preference, but I couldn't get from all the farmers shop I visited. Though I cane across SUPER GROW (GNLD) but I have read so where here that is is adjuvant and not a fertilizer mixture. I will appreciate any recommendations.

Order your organic D.I Grow from us today.
https://www.nairaland.com/5887525/d.i-grow-farmers-fertilizer-available
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 5:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
ideepaul:

What variety of cucumber did you plant

Greengo 918 F1.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by abbeynism(m): 7:24am On Jun 14, 2020
So far, so good.
I sprayed Randomil Gold MX fungicide and Sharp shooter insecticides on the farm yesterday. Prior to spraying I observed something like wool on my plants and I got to know that is Powdery Mildew.

I ought to spray before yesterday but I was down with malaria and I was unable to prevent.

Anyway the journey continues.

Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 8:40am On Jun 14, 2020
abbeynism:
So far, so good.
I sprayed Randomil Gold MX fungicide and Sharp shooter insecticides on the farm yesterday. Prior to spraying I observed something like wool on my plants and I got to know that is Powdery Mildew.

I ought to spray before yesterday but I was down with malaria and I was unable to prevent.

Anyway the journey continues.
How are your crops faring? I wish you full recovery!
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by okoroemeka(m): 5:19pm On Jun 14, 2020
First of all I spotted some errors that i will like you to correct on your next planting,first the hills is not the best for cucumbers,for staking the crops must be in a straight line and also hills waste space,I also notice that you didn't make holes or depressions on top of the hills to accommodate the manure and co that will be applied,also you didn't even apply manure as basal before planting,that is the worst oversight,if you apply good quantities of manure before planting the crops will have a fantastic start that will boost them to maturity,below is pics of how a cucumber farm is prepared during rainy season,if you look carefully you will observe the hole in which every crop is planted,it serves two critical purpose manure and irrigation.

1 Share

Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 5:31pm On Jun 14, 2020
See practical farmers sharing knowledge and corrections here, not one online manager mention millions upandan!
God will continuously bless you for being a source of inspiration and a selfless online consultant for a lot of people on this forum
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by marciano3d: 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2020
Ideepaul,
please I just got 3 plots which intend to plant cucumber. I have been reading some you and okoroemeka posts but I got confused. I will need advice. Thanks

Abbeynism
you no give update again no. this is the closest I've got of a step by step tutorial for cucumber planting
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by IRIENBOY(m): 6:58am On Sep 10, 2020
Following
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2020
marciano3d:
Ideepaul,
please I just got 3 plots which intend to plant cucumber. I have been reading some you and okoroemeka posts but I got confused. I will need advice. Thanks

Abbeynism
you no give update again no. this is the closest I've got of a step by step tutorial for cucumber planting
3plots for a beginner? That's 1/2 acre o! I have just responded to your DM, pls follow Okoroemeka's thread on cucumber farming, you will learn a lot if you read everything completely...but boss abeg scale down first unless you have experience

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by safarifarms(m): 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2020
ideepaul:

Does DI grow really work? I read somewhere that it's NPK values are far too small.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by ideepaul: 7:36pm On Dec 06, 2020
safarifarms:

Does DI grow really work? I read somewhere that it's NPK values are far too small.
It works! but it's too expensive for my liking so I have stopped using it. granular fertilizers applied to the soil at predetermined intervals work better for me and at almost at the same price
Re: My Cucumber Farming Journey by safarifarms(m): 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2020
Ok. Thanks.

ideepaul:

It works! but it's too expensive for my liking so I have stopped using it. granular fertilizers applied to the soil at predetermined intervals work better for me and at almost at the same price

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strutting Tom, Running Hen / Dry Ginger For Sale Price In Nigeria. / Catfish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.