Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 (4534 Views)

Edo: Police Re-Arrest Prisoner Who Escaped From Jail During #EndSARS Protest / Endsars: Prisoner Who Escaped From Edo Prison This Morning Speaks (video) / Brazil Prisoner Who Dressed Up As Daughter To Escape, Found Dead 3 Days Later (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Evelyn47(m): 6:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
Joseph Ligon is presently 79 years old. He has remained the oldest serving juvenile lifer in the United States of America. Joseph was convicted in the year 1953, at the age of 16 years old.

He was convicted after engaging in gang violence and robbery that led to the killing of two men. He has served 64 years in prison. His co-defendants, some of which have died and others received commutations.

Joseph Ligon would like receive freedom as he claimed that he was not guilty of the offence he was being accused of. Although, he was recently offered 'parole' which means freedom in order to remain under the control of the Pennsylvania Department of Correction but he refused.

Joseph Ligon is 79 years old and has been serving a prison sentence for 63 years. However, he still claims he is innocent and never committed the crime he was accused of. He has recently been offered parole but turned it down.

He has family in New Jersey with whom he’d like to reunite, and, as he argues, he’s served long enough.

According to the Supreme Court ruling in 2016, it's made know that mandatory life sentences for juveniles are unconstitutional therefore called for resentencing.

As at when Joseph Ligon was convicted and sentenced, four other teens were sentenced at the same time. But Ligon maintained in his statement that he stabbed only one person who he claimed later survived.

It seems he was not satisfied with the parole offer, he wanted a total freedom so that he can go and join his family.

He remained firm in his words that he was guilty of the offence he was accused of. In March 2019, a Pennsylvania court rejected just this argument from Ligon: that the Pennsylvania law violates the Supreme Court's ban on mandatory life sentences for minors.

https://newsonthegotoday.com/kgjy2n

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by jamex93(m): 6:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
shocked

God no go shame us

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by shawnfamous(m): 6:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
The guy come fine for old age. get pink lips join. Jail good o

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by emipan(f): 6:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
Life sha. Someone happened to spend his entire life in jail while others use theirs becoming world known billionaires, driving private jets around the world. It's well.

6 Likes

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by yomi007k(m): 7:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
shawnfamous:

Correction.

OBODO OYINBO JAIL good o.

If na 9ja, the kind kraw kraw wey go full the prisoner body go dey commot maggot if u burst am.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
This life is indeed a mystery.
So this one just come life come serve jail term?
Sincerely I am moved, they just wasted his whole life, they could have at least free him since he is a minor.
I no even Sabi wetin I Wan talk self.
My heart weeps for him sha

11 Likes

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Sultty(m): 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
G damn. The system is shitty
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by rowland545(m): 8:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
shawnfamous:
I swear the jail fit am...f guy fresh....this one go don rape people tire for jail grin

But anyway I feel pity for him...to b bad guy no good....see as him life take end b4 e even start

4 Likes

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
shawnfamous:
u're a bastard grin grin

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by shawnfamous(m): 8:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
miracood:
u're a bastard grin grin
hahahahaha u too

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Airoflaw(m): 9:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ive not see the picture before suspecting he must be a BLACK man.....#All live matters

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by shugabasbn: 9:26pm On Jun 10, 2020
This can never happened in America or developed world.....
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by BigBabyJesus: 9:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
world's oldest fagg0T
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by BigBabyJesus: 9:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
southniyikaye:
This life is indeed a mystery.
So this one just come life come serve jail term?
Sincerely I am moved, they just wasted his whole life, they could have at least free him since he is a minor.
I no even Sabi wetin I Wan talk self.
My heart weeps for him sha

How about the two people he killed

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
BigBabyJesus:

How about the two people he killed
he said he didn't kill anyone
Said the person he stabbed survived..
They should have just allow him prove his innocence with a lawyer. Maybe then, black lives doesn't matter
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by BigBabyJesus: 10:15pm On Jun 10, 2020
[s]
southniyikaye:
he said he didn't kill anyone
Said the person he stabbed survived..
They should have just allow him prove his innocence with a lawyer. Maybe then, black lives doesn't matter
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Hoodbilonia: 10:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dis 1 don old for jail
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by nwosukingsley366(m): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
grin grin acient of jail
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Omoluabi16(m): 10:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
This life sha. He's basically spent his only lifetime in a prison cell. Considering his age at the time of his crime, and MAYBE good prison conduct they should have let him off 3 decades ago.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by dahnimoh(m): 10:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
HE may be a prisoner here on earth and be a free man in the hereafter if he receives Chris

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by LordBaggins: 11:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
It's hurts but the honest truth is that he just wasted his life.

Even if he is released he cannot fit.

My people follow follow good ooo.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Ishilove: 11:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
Omoluabi16:
This life sha. He's basically spent his only lifetime in a prison cell. Considering his age at the time of his crime, and MAYBE good prison conduct they should have let him off 3 decades ago.
Prison life is the only life he knows so I doubt he will want to go back to a society that's completely alien to him.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Omoluabi16(m): 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ishilove:

Prison life is the only life he knows so I doubt he will want to go back to a society that's completely alien to him.
Honestly. He certainly can't function in today's world. Life could be very unfair.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Sabadon(m): 2:01am On Jun 11, 2020
.....the prison life is the only life i know,(sad)
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by tarantino1: 2:28am On Jun 11, 2020
Reminds me of a scene from my favourite movie "Shawshank Redemption" where Brooks who was the longest serving prisoner at Shawshank was finally paroled after 50 years at the age of 73.

The man couldn't even understand the real world, let alone, function normally. Prison life was all he knew, at least there he was somebody. He later hung himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotNxb2YApk

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by joseph1832(m): 7:05am On Jun 11, 2020
Wow. Getting that man admitted into a society that's changed will be difficult.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Everrest9(m): 7:56am On Jun 11, 2020
His life has bn taken away from him.
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Dreyceepey: 8:13am On Jun 11, 2020
shugabasbn:
human being, so what country is pennsylvania in, i guess kenya. Fishhead

1 Like

Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by Oluf3mi(m): 8:48am On Jun 11, 2020
shugabasbn:
You sure you read the story properly?
Re: Meet The Oldest Serving Prisoner, Who Was Convicted At Age 16 And Served For 64 by sunshineV(f): 9:38am On Jun 11, 2020
just reading the topic, I knew he's black

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: Man Cuts Off Wife’s Head After DNA Proved 6 Kids Are Not His / They shoot this one inside his heart Blackaxe vs Eiye Abeokuta PHOTOS / Rare Image Of What The Slave Trade Era Looks Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.