Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Nigeria's Democracy Day: Is Nigeria A Democratic Country? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria's Democracy Day: Is Nigeria A Democratic Country? (164 Views)

June 12: Highlights Of Buhari's Democracy Day Speech / President Buhari – I Promise Free And Fair Election, Democracy Day Speech / Glo Free Data Day Is Live!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Democracy Day: Is Nigeria A Democratic Country? by Adejoncy01(m): 7:39am On Jun 12, 2020
It was the famous 16th president of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln that defined democracy as " the government of the people, by the people, for the people". In fact, the term 'democracy' comes from the Greek language and means "rule by the people" . I'm always astonished when I hear people refer to Nigeria as a democratic state as it operate against the rules of democracy.

Nigeria started operating the democratic system of government in 1999 following the abolishment of the military rule. Former president, Chief Olusengun Obasanjo became the first democratic leader. Till date, the country is yet to practise democracy in its entirety.

It is no secret that Nigeria is a country ruled by the few elites and their cronies at the detriment of the common citizen. This poses question on the type of democracy practised in the country, if it's the one defined by the former United States of America president or otherwise.

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a democratic setting is one characterised by equality, where everyone is treated fairly. A setting where what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. In Nigeria, the reverse is obviously the case, as the law are only meant for the poor populace.

Every now and then, we see news headlines of how activists who speak for the shortchanged common man are being detained illegally without court trial. In what tandem is Nigeria then a democratic state if I may ask? When freedom of speech is not guaranteed.

The citizens doesn't have the privilege to elect their leaders as selection is done in most cases by the "Powers that be" instead of election. If Nigeria is practising democracy, it's undoubtedly another type different from the one other countries of world practise.

Should we talk about lack of transparency and accountability that characterised the country's governance? The list of Nigeria undemocratic practices goes on and on.

In my humble opinion, Nigeria should stop celebrating democracy day when it's not democratic in the real sense of it.

What's your opinion about Nigeria being a democratic state?
Let's hear you!
Re: Nigeria's Democracy Day: Is Nigeria A Democratic Country? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:02am On Jun 12, 2020
SIMPLE ANSWER IS NO.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Voice Of One Crying In The Wilderness: And Buhari Lied / Redacted / Globe Medical And Healthcare Conference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.