Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,901 members, 7,863,098 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:29 AM

The Journey So Far - Sen. Akon Eyakenyi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Journey So Far - Sen. Akon Eyakenyi (221 Views)

Sen Akon Eyakenyi Battles Health Challenges / Sen Akon Eyakenyi ..... Dependable Ally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Journey So Far - Sen. Akon Eyakenyi by UbbyCreativity(m): 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2020
"Further, take heed that you faithfully perform the business you have to do in the world, from a regard to the commands of God, and not from an ambitious desire of being esteemed better than others." - David Brainerd.

It is true that all we have are loans from God for His service and that of humanity. From our lives to our wealth and the positions we occupy, they are gifts from God for which we all must render accounts.

Conscious of this fact, I had from a very tender age, adopted a personal philosophy which hinges on doing that which is for the greater good of the people.

It is exactly one year today since I assumed duty as Representative of Akwa Ibom South Senatorial District in the Senate. I am very grateful to our people for the privilege accorded me. I gave my words during the electioneering period, that I shall offer our people a Better Deal. That has been my guiding principle all through the last one year.

Less than 2 months in office, we launched the Skills Acquisition Training Scheme for youths of the district. In all, more than 400 youths across the 3 Federal Constituencies have been trained in oil and gas related areas.

We have also extended grants to women, students and the less privileged. Over 250 widows across the state have been empowered to enable them cater for their families.

We have assisted our constituents secure employments and many have been enlisted in the paramilitary services. Some of the trained youths have been placed in oil servicing companies.

We opened the Constituency Office 3 months after inauguration and over 60 of our constituents are in my employ either in the office or as Liaison Officers across the Federal Constituencies. This has gone a long way to engaging these workers positively.

There is a saying that health is wealth. Only a healthy population can create wealth and keep our society going. In this wise, I cosponsored free medical services for our people. Many surgeries were performed and other ailments handled. Over 600 glasses were donated besides loads of drugs given to people. About the same time, drugs were donated to 8 of the 12 local government areas within the district.

I have sponsored a Bill for the upgrade of Maritime Academy of Nigeria, Oron to a full fledged University of Maritime Studies, Oron. I also have sponsored Motions on "Urgent Need to Address the Sorry State of Computer Facilities in Public Schools" and "Urgent Need to Address the Menace of Banditry in the Gulf of Guinea besides cosponsoring the following motions:

a) Motion On The Need To Increase Funding To Primary Health-Care Centres

b) Urgent Need To Ascertain The Status of Nigeria’s Extended Continental Shelf Project And The Constitution Of An Ocean Advisory Committee

c) The Deplorable Conditions Of Ikot Ekpene-Umuahia Highway Linking Akwa Ibom State and Abia State

d) Existing Petroleum Subsidy, Ensuring Self-Sufficiency In Demostic Refining of Petroleum Products.

e) Urgent Need To Look Into Incessant Loss of Commuter Lives on Our Waterways.

f) The Urgent Need To Establish A Medical School At Modibbo Adam University of Technology, Yola And To Upgrade The Federal Medical Centre, Yola, To A University Teaching Hospital.

g) Urgent Need To Review And Recover Additional Revenue Accruable To The Government of the Federation From Sharing Contracts Pursuant To Section 16 Of The Deep Offshore And Inland Basin Production Sharing Act Cap D3 LFN 2004

h) Urgent Need To Perform The Housing Mortgage Financing In Nigeria To Meet The Escalating Housing Demand In The Country.

To me, I find fulfilment that I have had the grace to be available and accessible to our constituents as I have spent almost every weekend in Akwa Ibom since my inauguration in June 2019.

I have included projects across the district in the budget. Soon as there are releases, they will be executed. I am unreservedly committed to the service of my people and shall continue to do all within my capabilities to offer our people a Better Deal.

I sincerely thank the owners of the mandate for the support and cooperation I have enjoyed this past year and look forward to have greater dose of same in the years ahead. I promise to continue to serve with utmost sense of humility and devotion.

God bless Akwa Ibom South!
God bless Akwa Ibom State!!
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!!

Senator Akon Eyakenyi PhD,
Representing Akwa Ibom
South Senatorial District.

(1) (Reply)

Court Of Appeal Upholds Oshiomhole’s Suspension As APC Chairman / Rivers APC Suspends Former Deputy National Secretary / LAWMA Workers Dump Coveral In Protest Of Unpaid Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.