Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,546 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Let's Discuss Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Let's Discuss Nigeria. (345 Views)

Ganduje, Okorocha, Fashola, Others To Discuss Nigeria’s Unity / Buhari, King Mohammed Discuss Nigeria-Morocco Gas Pipeline, Fertilizer Plant / Yoruba Patriots Movement To Discuss Nigeria’s Challenges At Ibadan Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Discuss Nigeria. by LiquidWood: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2020
Fellow intellectuals in the house.
Let's discuss Nigeria.

You're free to answer any question you want.

1) Where were we coming from and how did we arrive here.

2) I know we are all expecting one miracle or the other to happen and turn Nigeria around. But if that miracle does not occur, where would we be heading?

3) Finally, what is that miracle you are expecting? smiley

Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by LiquidWood: 10:30am On Jun 13, 2020

@Q1

Well for me I know we used to have factories but I really can't point a time when we were that 'Great nation.'

We probably were at our peak before the civil war.

All I remember is that we were farmers and hunters in a certain location, before some bunch of foreigners came and did some crazy things and now we are here.

That location later became known as Nigeria.

So I'll say we are a bunch of people with different culture and ideologies, united by a common location and language which is English and somehow we are expected to help each other grow.

I mentioned location and language. What other things unites us?

Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by SLAP44: 10:37am On Jun 13, 2020
LiquidWood:

@Q1

Well for me I know we used to have factories but I really can't point a time when we were that 'Great nation.'

We probably were at our peak before the civil war.

All I remember is that we were farmers and hunters in a certain location, before some bunch of foreigners came and did some crazy things and now we are here.

And immediately after the war, mediocrity took over. Mediocrity is still ruling till today. Many people who doesn't want to end up as mediocre are asking to from their own country while those who lacks the ability to rise above mediocrity are insisting that everyone must remain mediocres till forever.
Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by Justiceleague1: 10:39am On Jun 13, 2020
SLAP44:

And immediately after the war, mediocrity took over. Mediocrity is still ruling till today.
Yes, courtesy of those abomination of a people
Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by LiquidWood: 10:40am On Jun 13, 2020
SLAP44:

And immediately after the war, mediocrity took over. Mediocrity is still ruling till today.
Mediocrity as in being moderate? being indifferent? or feeling inferior?
Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by gentlestdude(m): 11:20am On Jun 13, 2020
It all boils down to one simple fact, the funds required for development are being looted by those in charge of the development (elected politicians). What makes developed countries stand out is simply development. It has been happening since we were handed power, look at the Abacha's case, all billions of dollars he wasted taking to other countries just imagine he built world class hospital's, world class schools, world class rail stations, airports, roads,water , industries creating jobs(yes the money he stole would have done all that) and he will still have more than enough to sustain his family for life.. people would be happy,there would be development, the country would thrive globally, nobody will care about where his neighbor comes from because we are happy people, there will be less crime, the economy will thrive.. BUT NO... he decided t to siphone the money out of the country, same with governor's, senators, commissioners in their respective offices. I think the way these people get to power (like killing innocent people, pounding baby in mortal to make soap, yes our politicians do that, it has make their heart hardened that the cries of the common man is like music to their ears. imagine the case of that Eastern exgovernor about to pass power but the new guy has to sign an undertaking, we all saw the disgusting things in that contract, just imagine all that money going to one man alone now where will the new governor see money to build road, schools, hospital, water for the people when he must also siphone at least double of what he's paying to the ex before he even starts thinking of commissioning roads.
I think the best thing to do is to kill all politicians in a coup and create a constitution like that of China once caught in corruption case death penalty straight, then we put very educated people with sane minds in government offices that's the only thing that can cure Nigeria
Re: Let's Discuss Nigeria. by King2019(m): 1:49pm On Jun 13, 2020
gentlestdude:
It all boils down to one simple fact, the funds required for development are being looted by those in charge of the development (elected politicians). What makes developed countries stand out is simply development. It has been happening since we were handed power, look at the Abacha's case, all billions of dollars he wasted taking to other countries just imagine he built world class hospital's, world class schools, world class rail stations, airports, roads,water , industries creating jobs(yes the money he stole would have done all that) and he will still have more than enough to sustain his family for life.. people would be happy,there would be development, the country would thrive globally, nobody will care about where his neighbor comes from because we are happy people, there will be less crime, the economy will thrive.. BUT NO... he decided t to siphone the money out of the country, same with governor's, senators, commissioners in their respective offices. I think the way these people get to power (like killing innocent people, pounding baby in mortal to make soap, yes our politicians do that, it has make their heart hardened that the cries of the common man is like music to their ears. imagine the case of that Eastern exgovernor about to pass power but the new guy has to sign an undertaking, we all saw the disgusting things in that contract, just imagine all that money going to one man alone now where will the new governor see money to build road, schools, hospital, water for the people when he must also siphone at least double of what he's paying to the ex before he even starts thinking of commissioning roads.
I think the best thing to do is to kill all politicians in a coup and create a constitution like that of China once caught in corruption case death penalty straight, then we put very educated people with sane minds in government offices that's the only thing that can cure Nigeria

Communism is not nice

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Governor Godwin Obaseki Officially Joins PDP / Anti-magu Memo: Northern Leaders Differ With AGF Malami / Oyo Expended 2.2 Billion O. Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.