Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another (1407 Views)

Transsion And Xiaomi: We Disagree To Agree / How Is Micromax Bharat 5 Camera, Battry(5000mah) Fingerprint, Jio? / Micromax Stock Rom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by TheOdd1sOut: 8:38am On Jun 15, 2020
This story is one which has happened before, and is also playing out again right before our eyes.

This is the story of MicroMax, an Indian OEM who took india by storm but lost their charm by bad decision making.

THE STORY OF MICROMAX

Nuts.Guts.Glory! You might recognise this slogan from the Indian smartphone company, which once created a storm in the industry. Yes, we are talking about Micromax. The Indian-based mobile company that once shook the whole smartphone industry and brought mobile phones that came with mass appeal.

However, with the advent of the Chinese companies and due to some blunders from the company, Micromax suffered a significant loss on just in terms of market share, but also in terms of the trust, it gained from its loyal customers. The brand is now fighting for its survival as the company reported a 26 per cent downfall in revenues for the FY2018 as compared to its last year financials. So, what were the key reasons behind the downfall of the most beloved smartphone brand in India? Let’s nosedive into it.

How it all started

Micromax Informatics was founded in 1991 by Rajesh Agarwal and it served as a distributor of computer hardware for different brands like Dell, HP and Sony. In 1999, Sumeet Arora, Rahul Sharma and Vikas joined him as equal partners in the company. The brand later manufactured wireless public phones (PCOs). However, Rahul Sharma came up with an idea to make mobile phones and he convinced its partners to jump into this game.
This resulted in the first product, the Micromax X1i feature phone, which became a massive success in the country in 2008. It was primarily because the phone came with a 30-day standby time and it was priced reasonably. The phone becomes a big success in rural India where the people were not able to charge their phone at regular intervals of time.
The company then entered into the tablet market in 2010 with its Funbook series and it later entered introduced its Android-powered smartphone, the Micromax A60. People started recognising Micromax as a brand that caters to the masses and it was termed as one of those brands that stressed on innovation for masses. The company didn’t follow other established brands like Samsung, LG or more, but carved its way to the top.
The sheer innovation and surprise element of the Indian-based manufacturer were on an all-time high. Micromax surprised many by introducing Hugh Jackman, a known Hollywood actor, as the brand ambassador of the company, making it the first Indian smartphone brand to come up with an international brand ambassador. It introduced Canvas Turbo starring Hugh Jackman. Micromax also brought actors like Akshay Kumar, Twinkle Khanna and Chitrangada Singh for its smartphone launches. The company soon become the second largest smartphone seller in 2015 and it was just behind Samsung with 16.22 per cent market share. The Indian smartphone company enjoyed its dominant position in the budget segment and it was on Cloud 9. However, the bubble soon burst and it was back to the harsh reality.

Micromax failed to counter the Chinese invasion

Micromax relied on the Chinese ODM including Oppo, Vivo, Gionee and more to manufacture its smartphones in China. However, the company got a severe blow when the Chinese brands, which was once its OEM, decided to enter the Indian market with their own brands. This was the turning point for the Indian smartphone industry. The Chinese players did their homework and understood the point that the offline market is the key to establish themselves in the Indian market, explains Navkendar Singh, Research Director, IDC India. “Oppo and Vivo realised that the offline market, which accounts for around 60-65 per cent market, is important. That's why they started recruiting channel partners and distributors in those territories. They started making lots of investments in the retail sector,” he said.

The Chinese brand took the offline market with a storm. Suddenly we started seeing the blue and green across all the nooks and cranny of the country. Both the companies paid lots of incentives to the retailers, which at the end resulted in getting more shelf space on the retail counter and Micromax suddenly found itself in the backseat. “Micromax and other Indian smartphone players were not able to understand where is this money coming from and how can these guys spend so much,” Singh added.
Micromax did not have the financial strength to fight the marketing, shelf space and retail exhibition of Oppo, Vivo and Gionee. The Chinese brands were pumping money left, right and centre to create a buzz in the market around their smartphones. On the other hand, Micromax and other Indian brands did not have that much amount of money to tackle the Chinese competition. The company had to face the brunt of the Chinese invasion as its change of retailers and distributors were going to the Chinese brands.
Micromax decided to lay low for some time and waited for the Chinese brand’s marketing investments to go dry. Meantime, they pushed the government to sell smartphones through some of their initiatives. The company did get some relief when they stuck a deal with the Chhattisgarh government for 45 lakh smartphones to given to women and students in the state in 2018. This helped the company to make a comeback, but there was no way it snatches the market share from its competition.
Micromax had a strong point of assembling products in India, while at that time none of the Chinese players had its assembly line in India. Then came the Make in India initiative from the Indian government and Micromax believes that it will help in curbing the Chinese invasion. However, it took a different turn. “The Chinese players took this initiative seriously and started assembling in India and now they are manufacturing their products in India,” Singh asserted. This left no ground for Micromax to compete with the Chinese brands in the country.

The Advent of 4G destroyed Micromax

Although it is believed that Micromax downfall was due to the Chinese invasion, however, it is not the whole truth. The company’s fall was due to their own doing and it was caught on the wrong side of the disruption. Micromax had around 40 products in the smartphone ranging from Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 and all of them were based on 2G and 3G network.
Things changed rapidly when Reliance Jio introduced its 4G network and has started providing free 4G SIM cards to the entire country. This drastically changed the whole landscape in both the telecom sector and the smartphone industry. With the introduction of the 4G network, most of the smartphone industry started shifting its focus to 4G, though Micromax remained reluctant to switch to the new 4G network. The company underestimated the 4G revolution in India.

“Micromax and other brands did not read the transition of the whole smartphone ecosystem from 3G to 4G will happen so fast. By the time they realised, they have so much inventory of 3G smartphones back in China that they were not well-equipped and not financially fit to dump all the inventory and switch to 4G,” Singh explained. Micromax and other brands kept on pushing the 3G handsets for a long time, but the market moved to 4G as Reliance Jio was offering its services at a cheap rate.
This resulted in a massive drop in the market share of Micromax. The brand which enjoyed a strong 16.22 per cent market share in 2015, witnessed a steep decline. The company market share for 2016 was 10.8 per cent for the feature phone and 8.80 per cent for smartphones, In 2017, the company market share for feature phones and smartphones was 8.70 per cent and 4.20 per cent respectively. In the year 2018, the company market share for smartphones was 4.30 per cent and 2.80 per cent in feature phones. This is primarily because the Chinese players like Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Gionee and more offered great features at an affordable price point and they adopted the new revolution with open arms.

Lack of innovations delayed software update and after-sale services

At a time when the Chinese players stressed on bringing innovative products for the masses, Micromax was complacent. The brand showed little interest in showing innovation to its smartphone range or adapt to the 4G at that time. This was quite disappointing for many as a brand like Micromax always stressed on innovation, especially in its early days. This also gave the lead to the Chinese brands as they were introducing new technologies at an affordable price point. “Micromax was complacent in any innovation, whether be it in terms of technology or bringing 4G or even new kinds of devices in the market, which these Chinese guys were already giving,” Sing said.
Micromax also failed in delivering good after-sales support to its customers. Although the brand has a strong network of around 1300 service centres in the country, the quality of service was not at par with the competition. The service centre took months to repair smartphones and there were issues with the lack of replacement parts available in the service centres.

Another major point where Micromax failed was not giving regular updates to its smartphone lineup. The smartphones from the company were not getting basic updates, leave the major updates alone. Multiple users complained that the phones are buggy in nature and the company is not delivering fixes on time, which at the end of the day left the customer with no choice but to switch to other players. Meanwhile, we saw brands like Motorola, Xiaomi, Vivo and even Samsung giving timely updates to its customers. That’s why when the consumer saw the alternative, they made the switch.
Can Micromax make a comeback in true sense?
So, will it be easy for Micromax to make a comeback in the smartphone industry? Singh believes it is very difficult. “Micromax needs a lot of financial muscle to fight these guys (Chinese players),” he said while asserting to the fact that it is not impossible for the brand to make a comeback. Micromax needs to look into a few things and they need to get ducks in a row and focus on the budget segment.
Singh believes that this is the segment where Micromax has always operated and it can still perform by focusing on the budget segment and give an excellent product with a perfect value-for-money proposition to the customers. The company still have a chance to compete at the lower-end section as the vacuum is still there and not many brands are jumping into the entry-level category that ranges from Rs 500 to Rs 3,000. If the company can bring a smartphone under this price range, it would be able to make its presence felt in the market.
But there are many ifs and buts. How do you launch a smartphone under the entry-level segment and deliver value to the customer? How do you educate the customer? “For this, lots of investments are required, lots of going back to the drawing board is required, which I am afraid Micromax will not be able to do. Because the scale and volume required are too huge and investment accordingly has to be too huge,” Singh said.
For Micromax, it is a story about a brand that turned from no one to disruptor number one to the fallen one. The company has long enjoyed the trust and love of Indian consumers. The brand was once a darling to the customers is now facing a crisis to survive in this industry. It is high time for the brand to prove its mettle or else we might soon see another smartphone exiting the India business.

https://www.themobileindian.com/news/micromax-can-it-regain-the-attention-of-consumers-26547

Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

4 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Denovan: 9:07am On Jun 15, 2020
cry transsion make una wise up, so you won't end up like Micromax.

3 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by pesty100(m): 9:35am On Jun 15, 2020
See cautionary tale oooo

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by rahman8(f): 9:41am On Jun 15, 2020
Ok
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by kennyflames(m): 10:48am On Jun 15, 2020
Micro What ? grin
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by atheistandproud(m): 10:55am On Jun 15, 2020
TheOdd1sOut:
This story is one which has happened before, and is also playing out again right before our eyes.

This is the story of MicroMax, an Indian OEM who took india by storm but lost their charm by bad decision making.

THE STORY OF MICROMAX

https://www.themobileindian.com/news/micromax-can-it-regain-the-attention-of-consumers-26547

Wise words bro.

I enjoyed this post. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:22am On Jun 15, 2020
TheOdd1sOut:

THE STORY OF MICROMAX

I was telling Edoairways this few days ago, you grow by learning from others who made mistakes so you don't have to repeat the same mistakes. But he seem to believe otherwise
edoairways:

Nothing comes easy. There at times you have to make that mistake to learn, that is Life for you

It's sad seeing Transission go down this part, but it's Nigeria over any single entity. A nation is greater than one greedy organisation or individual.

From this micromax theory, I can say I understand what is happening to Transission.
Transision probably bought a stockpile of mtk p22, p35 and co chipsets in abundance; like I initial wrote before.

ZesusHVWritter:
No doubt when this term Technological innovation is mentioned, neither Infinix nor tecno comes to mind, and this is due to two major reasons.

1 When it comes to innovation; infinix and tecno would rather make a device that is both fragile on the outside and profit driven in the inside. That is to say, so long the hardware can run android os, it's worth selling as smartphone.

1 Just like glo{whose service continues to be a shameful attempt at network service provision}, transission holdings prefers to invest heavily on marketing stragies rather than the product being marketed.

These two reasons have personally saw me distant myself from the transission brothers for better value for money products.
Infact, my last tecno smartphone device was tecno R7 and tecno D8 tab, for infinix it was the hot note pro and no more.
I would reluctantly advise potential buyers to go for tecno or infinix device due to lack of options 5years ago. These days, if you create an avenue to purchase an infinix or tecno product around me, I will without excuse forcefully sway you to a different path or better, strongly advise you to give that money as arms to the needy, I am without a doubt, you will find fulfilment in such benevolence as against the purchasing of anything transission.
Tecno's feature phone lineup still looks good though, check my previous thread if you are interested in getting the most affordable MiFi mimicker from tecno, that I have on sale.

But that is not the major reason for this topic.
Tecno personally brought android to a lot of Nigerians, including me.
And yet again, tecno and Infinix are set to become another foundation to MTK chipmaker coming back into the smartphone industry.

How so?
Pay attention, no smartphone maker is confident enough to push out a poo excuse for a device, term it a flagship killer, slap an mtk lowend chipset in it, then price the same product unreasonable high, so high its impossible to compare it to devices in that price range due to lack of features or quality to justify its price point.
But tecno and Infinix have done these, year in year out, even going as far as terming a device powered by helio p35 as a flagship device and selling such offense for a smartphone for over 70,000 naira a feat not even xiaomi or Huawei can succeed with.

Tecno and Infinix have constantly patronised mtk chipset, precisely: mtk lowend chip market ranging from helio a22 to p22 for more than 4 different models of their product lineups in the past year, an endeavour that has helped MTK grow her income base to support the manufacturing of midrange chipsets {mtk helio G90T} that actually competes with the chip-industry top earners like SNAPDRAGON.

This year, mtk has already made public announcements of two 5G enabled and ready to use chipsets.
Just recently, a lowend companion to the mtk G90T was introduced, the mtk G70T.

Though I am 94% sure, no tecno or infinix device would be using any of the mtk G series, even if MTK were to make an mtk G10, but tecno and Infinix should be recognised for their ability to produce mediocre devices and sell to the general public and still make tons of profit from the ignorance of the purchasers, and at such, make good returns to their major chip suppler in the name of MEDIATEK [MTK].

Anyway. If you are interested in getting a lowend device with the newly launched MTK helio G70, check out the realme c3.

Thanks for reading...

Now mtk has moved to more powerful offerings Transission is finding it difficult to move their product lineup because they are stuck with a pile of trash they need to force into the Nigerian market.

I am honestly sad for Transsion now. But I don't pity them.

4 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by FryMosquito: 11:30am On Jun 15, 2020
Battle of the fittest is about to play in Nigeria cos they are still studying Nigerian market, e.g Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo etc

If you can observe how this Chinese top brands moves. They target countries with large population. Trans should sit up cos no time remaining

2 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by DarkJeddi(m): 11:45am On Jun 15, 2020
The Chicken should look at what happened to the Duck in a Pot of Soup and learn wisdom.. undecided

Transsion over to you..

Even the mighty Nokia failed to innovate and it got dumped by the way side..

Time and tide waits for no one.. shocked

3 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by phonedaddy: 11:51am On Jun 15, 2020
I laugh at some of your naivity.
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by DarkJeddi(m): 11:57am On Jun 15, 2020
phonedaddy:
And so Nokia and Blackberry were laughing at the iPhone.. grin

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by TheOdd1sOut: 12:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
ZesusHVWritter:

I was telling Edoairways this few days ago, you grow by learning from others who made mistakes so you don't have to repeat the same mistakes. But he seem to believe otherwise

It's sad seeing Transission go down this part, but it's Nigeria over any single entity. A nation is greater than one greedy organisation or individual.

From this micromax theory, I can say I understand what is happening to Transission.
Transision probably bought a stockpile of mtk p22, p35 and co chipsets in abundance; like I initial wrote before.

Now mtk has moved to more powerful offerings Transission is finding it difficult to move their product lineup because they are stuck with a pile of trash they need to force into the Nigerian market.

I am honestly sad for Transsion now. But I don't pity them.
leave the Edo guy. he is irredeemable.

before the revolution begins, I'm already siding with the winning players.

Xiaomi4Life

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by TheOdd1sOut: 12:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
phonedaddy:
na you go use this same phone way you use type this thing to hype on xiaomi phone

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by dasanchez1(m): 1:27pm On Jun 15, 2020
phonedaddy:

2 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Blazebond(m): 1:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
Xiaomi and their marketers,una no get class at all at all,una too dey behave like agberos.

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by seunfly: 2:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
ok
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by MrBONE2(m): 2:20pm On Jun 15, 2020
DarkJeddi:
The Chicken should look at what happened to the Duck in a Pot of Soup and learn wisdom.. undecided

Transsion over to you.. shocked
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by edoairways: 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheOdd1sOut:

leave the Edo guy. he is irredeemable.

before the revolution begins, I'm already siding with the winning players.

Xiaomi4Life
All these media buohahaa will not change anything
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by edoairways: 3:14pm On Jun 15, 2020
This was same story Gionee,Fero and Wiko said few years back yet they crash out of the market.
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Nellsworld(m): 4:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
edoairways:
This was same story Gionee,Fero and Wiko said few years back yet they crash out of the market.
Gionee has resumed with beta phones
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by DarkJeddi(m): 4:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
edoairways:
Xiaomi is neither Gionee,Wiko nor Fero..

On the other hand,they have more than enough capital to play whatever dirty games Transsion may come up with.. grin

Tell Transsion to wake up..

Oppo,Xiaomi,Huawei and co are coming for them..

It is no longer business as usual..

Nigerians deserves better than the SH1T,Transsion has been dishing out for years.. shocked

Let them go and ask Nokia and Blackberry,what happens when you fail to adapt to the market situation..

Or are they bigger than those two?

3 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by edoairways: 5:32pm On Jun 15, 2020
Nellsworld:

Gionee has resumed with beta phones
They find it difficult to penetrate the android smartphone market especially Africa's biggest market
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Nellsworld(m): 6:50pm On Jun 16, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Xiaomi is neither Gionee,Wiko nor Fero..

On the other hand,they have more than enough capital to play whatever dirty games Transsion may come up with.. grin

Tell Transsion to wake up..

Oppo,Xiaomi,Huawei and co are coming for them..

It is no longer business as usual..

Nigerians deserves better than the SH1T,Transsion has been dishing out for years.. shocked

Let them go and ask Nokia and Blackberry,what happens when you fail to adapt to the market situation..

Or are they bigger than those two?
The truth is that Nigeria market is so funny, if tecno and infinix don't wake up, in nxt 5 yrs from now, they will be like blackberry that started dying slowly, they ve even started dying slowly, cos infinix and tecno sales in 2019 depreciated and this 2020, they are still depreciating, in 2018 to early part of 2019, i never know Xiaomi products or Oneplus or vivo, but now go to asaba mall, kowai plaza, na oppo, Xiaomi, vivo, even slot Asaba, these products are fastly taken over, although they ven't reached the marketing scale of tecno and infinix but in the nxt 2-5yrs, they will over take tecno and infinix

5 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Nellsworld(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
edoairways:

They find it difficult to penetrate the android smartphone market especially Africa's biggest market
Back then in 2013, lot of people in benin loved Gionee than tecno and infinix because of the battery and Gionee was durable, but in 2017, the then CEO misused the company funds for personal use and bankrupt the company, they are just coming bck

4 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by Mohbola(f): 8:04pm On Jun 17, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by skywalker240(m): 10:36pm On Jun 17, 2020
Make i jete jete book space

why this madam Mohbola de always comment for my top angry

Abi na the dream i de dream every friday night?

Aunty Mohbola the lord is trying to reveal something to me in that dream , i think now i get it.

You must become my second wife before the next eke market day grin

I must liberate you from Tecno grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by skywalker240(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2020
Nokia and blackberry fell,
transsion was not even up to what those two brands were as at that time.

a wise man hears one word and visualize it in two dimensions

2 Likes

Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by bigiyaro(m): 7:41am On Jun 18, 2020
they should have just ship the scraps to Nigeria, just like trash-sion is doing, dem go sell well a.
Re: Transsion And Micromax:- How The Dots Connects To One Another by bigiyaro(m): 7:41am On Jun 18, 2020
they should have just ship the scraps to Nigeria, just like trash-sion is doing, dem go sell wella

(1) (Reply)

Help. Need A New Phone. Budget 30k / The New OPPO A-series: Get Or Pass / Brand New Umidigi S5 Pro 6/256 At 80k Only sold !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.