Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,008 members, 7,814,442 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate (1202 Views)

USA To Invest $10 Billion In Nigerian Power Sector, For Extra 7,500 MW / Obasanjo: No Going Back On Southern Presidency, Presidency Must Rotate To South / Nigerian Power Firm To Sell Electricity To Burkina Faso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by GCFRNIGERIA: 9:44am On Jun 15, 2020
As we gear towards the 2023 election it is important to remember that the key tagline for the 2023 election should be anchored on equity. Equity which will permit each of the geopolitical components that make up Nigeria to feel wanted.

It is pertinent to remind us that the Federal Character Act demands equity in all affairs within Nigeria; as such the President and the Vice-President position can not be an exception.

No doubt, in 2023, it should be the turn of the South East and North Central. Anyone who believes in equity and fairness needs to rally around this project and support these two zones to partake in the political leadership of Nigeria

There are six geopolitical zones in Nigeria and it's within these six geopolitical zones that political power is shared in Nigeria. However, since the return of democracy to Nigeria in 1999, four out of these six zones have had a stint at the center as either the President or vice-president. In 1999, Olusegun Obasanjo from the Southwest became President and had Atiku Abubakar from the North East as his Vice president. In 2007, Musa Yar'dua from the Northwest became President with Goodluck Jonathan from the South-South geopolitical zone as his Vice.

He governed for two years before succumbing to the cold hand of death in 2010. His deputy Goodluck Jonathan took over, contested, and won the 2011 Presidential election and governed till 2015 in a joint mandate with  Namadi Sambo from the NorthWest. The current President, Muhammad Buhari is from the North West and took over in 2015 and got re-elected in 2019 to handover in 2023, his vice Professor Yemi Osinbajo is from the Southwest.

In all, the cumulative hold on Power by the six Geo-Political zones in 2023 all things as is would be as follows:-Northwest has held power at the federal level for  16 years, the Southwest 16 years, Northeast 8 years and the South-South 8 years while the North Central and the South East have had nothing to their credit. It is on this basis that we demand and seek fairness and equity. Equity is the only method through which brotherhood is lived.  Equity is justice. It gives everyone a sense of belonging and a motivation to commit to the federation.

The success of any governance system is built on perception, or if you may, optics. Optics is what people see and from it draw inferences on whom they are. So far, the people of the Southeast and Northcentral having been so far maligned from occupying either the offices of the President or Vice President of Nigeria,  do not see themselves as part of Nigeria as they have been largely excluded from the power-sharing agreement in Nigeria. The Nigerian system must collaboratively work together in 2023 to dissuade any of its components from feeling unwanted or despised. Stakeholders must rally round and prove to the South East and North Central that they're part of Nigeria and the only way to do this is by zoning the 2023 President and vice-president position to the South East and North Central in no particular order by all political parties within the federation.

With the current agitation bedeviling Nigeria it's only proper and politically strategic to appease the agitation with inclusiveness and that inclusiveness is to cede power to the South East and North Central in 2023.

Mazi Anamezie Nwagu

Convener, New United Nigeria Movement for SocioPolitical Equity, Nigeria.
https://gcfrng.com/2020/06/15/2023-presidency-equity-should-be-a-nigerian-power-must-rotate/

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Tissaia(f): 9:46am On Jun 15, 2020
APC will lose 2023 presidency that's for sure
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by donbachi(m): 10:02am On Jun 15, 2020
Equity or not..what nigeria need,is a party and candidate with sincerity of purpose..who tribe or region help.if na hausaman go make nigeria a better place,let him rule.if na ibo,ijaw,efik,benin,ogoni or yoruba.fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Ajibade123(m): 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2020
Tissaia:
so you will choose Atiku over Osinbanjo in 2023

6 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by BlowYourMind: 5:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
Igbos don't want presidency, they want biafra and we give them by 23rd century, South West will train them how to rule when they eventually got their biafra

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Tissaia(f): 7:13pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ajibade123:

not Atiku
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Finnese001: 7:46pm On Jun 15, 2020
Only if there is any Nigeria by 2023

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Saveme99: 7:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
Believe me, if APC fields Osinbajo, he will surely win. Many Igbos will vote for him including myself. He is a patriotic Nigerian. The reverse can be said of Tinubu though

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Throwback: 7:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
The author of the piece claims North Central of Gowon (1966 - 1975), Babangida (1985 - 1993), and Abdulsalam (1998 - 1999) has never held power before.

Then he proceeded to claim SouthWest has had power for 16yrs, when we only know of Obasanjo 1 (1976 - 1979), Shonekan (Aug 1993 - Nov 1993), Obasanjo 2 (1999 - 2007) that equals 11.5yrs.

The author is clearly not well informed and is still a novice in Nigerian political history.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by TheRareGem1(f): 8:21pm On Jun 15, 2020
Saveme99:
Believe me, if APC fields Osinbajo, he will surely win. Many Igbos will vote for him including myself. He is a patriotic Nigerian. The reverse can be said of Tinubu though

The man wey sabi. Osinbajo for president
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by okefrancis: 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2020
Exactly and that's why the south west is in turn
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by PIMPAR: 8:33pm On Jun 15, 2020
Tissaia:
Not with your 5%

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by slivertongue: 8:36pm On Jun 15, 2020
Throwback:
The author of the piece claims North Central of Gowon (1966 - 1975), Babangida (1985 - 1993), and Abdulsalam (1998 - 1999) has never held power before.

Then he proceeded to claim SouthWest has had power for 16yrs, when we only know of Obasanjo 1 (1976 - 1979), Shonekan (Aug 1993 - Nov 1993), Obasanjo 2 (1999 - 2007) that equals 11.5yrs.

The author is clearly not well informed and is still a novice in Nigerian political history.

However, since the return of democracy to Nigeria in 1999, four out of these six zones have had a stint at the center as either the President or vice-president. In 1999,
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by slivertongue: 8:38pm On Jun 15, 2020
In all, the cumulative hold on Power by the six Geo-Political zones in 2023 all things as is would be as follows:-Northwest has held power at the federal level for 16 years, the Southwest 16 years, Northeast 8 years and the South-South 8 years while the North Central and the South East have had nothing to their credit.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by haffaze777(m): 9:14pm On Jun 15, 2020
Op is right let's support lai muhammad since he's from North centralgrin
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by proeast(m): 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2020
I keep telling them that there is no way SW is going to rule in 2023 but some greedy afonjas keep arguing with me.

2023 will be a make or mar year for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by proeast(m): 9:22pm On Jun 15, 2020
Saveme99:
[s]Believe me, if APC fields Osinbajo, he will surely win. Many Igbos will vote for him including myself. He is a patriotic Nigerian. The reverse can be said of Tinubu though[/s]

Nonsense, there are far better versions of Osinbajo in Igboland. Afonjas have had their turn and 2023 is the turn of Igbos.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by proeast(m): 9:24pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ajibade123:

Osinbajo is a weak man. He doesn't have what it takes to rule a country like Nigeria. GEJ will be far better than him. We don't want someone who will be receiving instructions from the drug lord in Burdilon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by cosef: 9:59pm On Jun 15, 2020
There is no need for any permutation here, realistic yorubas who are in the minority already know that power is NOT going to the SW if it won't go East. Every propaganda has an expiry date, records have shown how yorubas have been serial election losers since 1959. They lose more elections in Nigeria than the Black minority Siddis do in India.

The East will back the North if the both tickets won't go East like was done for yorubas in 1999. It's simple and short.

Greed will not be reinforced.

There will be no yoruba president in 2023.

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by searchMaster(m): 11:48pm On Jun 15, 2020
I have long argued against the concept of ZONING, but it's so annoying to know that the concept was introduced by our political parties who were supposed to stand for true democracy.

If we want to go by the ideals of democracy, THE PRESIDENT'S STATE OF ORIGIN shouldn't be a criteria. Yet, every election in Nigeria is preceded by intensive debates on the above subject simply because of our ethnocentric attitude and great display of religiosity - this is our biggest problem.

Let me digress a little, I feel we're taking religion to the extreme. We've abandoned our peace-loving indigenous religions only to accept foreign religions that have done us no good but to keep us at war. Listen to the experiences of those who travel wide and know what's happening in the interiors of our country: we're told that in some communities, Christians have their area of settlement and Muslims have theirs as well; and no trespassing, especially at night - what a shame! We have terrorist groups PROUDLY SPONSORED by religious leaders. They kill our friends and destroy our properties; but when caught, they're freed and reintegrated into the society, whereas, ORDINARY THIEVES, who probably stole out of hunger are forced to face the law. I called them ordinary thieves because they have no religious sponsor and so, they're forced to face the law, those who have religious sponsors will be freed. Just recently, NIMC announced how they've registered and reintegrated almost 900 terrorists - not even a day spent in jail!

Back to the subject of this conversation, I think our political parties have failed us in that they no longer screen candidates on the basis of fitness to serve the country. All they're after is: WHERE IS HE COMING FROM? And will he be able to win? They don't have core values neither do they have a philosophy they represent. I challenge our political parties to make live transmissions of their primary debates and entire screening process of their party primaries.

Funny enough, the electorates are not even helping matters: must we vote for PDP or APC? We have over 50 registered political parties, and not just 2. If you see clearly that the candidates of the two biggest parties are not fit, why not vote for any other candidate in the rest parties?

In conclusion, the president's state of origin should not be a criteria, and the president should neither be ethnocentric nor religious. Also, citizens should refrain from religious or ethnic sentiments at all levels.

I rest my case!!!
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Nobody: 3:24am On Jun 16, 2020
BlowYourMind:
Igbos don't want presidency, they want biafra and we give them by 23rd century, South West will train them how to rule when they eventually got their biafra
That's if igbos haven't bought all south west land in the next 20 years .....
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Nobody: 3:26am On Jun 16, 2020
Saveme99:
Oga no body is going to vote osibanjo ... absolutely no body ...not north , not east and not south ...get that to your head

Osibanjo is as bad as buhari he is parts of this failed adminstration ...if he had any integrity he would at least stopped praising this failed government

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Nobody: 3:28am On Jun 16, 2020
searchMaster:

I have long argued against the concept of ZONING, but it's so annoying to know that the concept was introduced by our political parties who were supposed to stand for true democracy.

If we want to go by the ideals of democracy, THE PRESIDENT'S STATE OF ORIGIN shouldn't be a criteria. Yet, every election in Nigeria is preceded by intensive debates on the above subject simply because of our ethnocentric attitude and great display of religiosity - this is our biggest problem.

Let me digress a little, I feel we're taking religion to the extreme. We've abandoned our peace-loving indigenous religions only to accept foreign religions that have done us no good but to keep us at war. Listen to the experiences of those who travel wide and know what's happening in the interiors of our country: we're told that in some communities, Christians have their area of settlement and Muslims have theirs as well; and no trespassing, especially at night - what a shame! We have terrorist groups PROUDLY SPONSORED by religious leaders. They kill our friends and destroy our properties; but when caught, they're freed and reintegrated into the society, whereas, ORDINARY THIEVES, who probably stole out of hunger are forced to face the law. I called them ordinary thieves because they have no religious sponsor and so, they're forced to face the law, those who have religious sponsors will be freed. Just recently, NIMC announced how they've registered and reintegrated almost 900 terrorists - not even a day spent in jail!

Back to the subject of this conversation, I think our political parties have failed us in that they no longer screen candidates on the basis of fitness to serve the country. All they're after is: WHERE IS HE COMING FROM? And will he be able to win? They don't have core values neither do they have a philosophy they represent. I challenge our political parties to make live transmissions of their primary debates and entire screening process of their party primaries.

Funny enough, the electorates are not even helping matters: must we vote for PDP or APC? We have over 50 registered political parties, and not just 2. If you see clearly that the candidates of the two biggest parties are not fit, why not vote for any other candidate in the rest parties?

In conclusion, the president's state of origin should not be a criteria, and the president should neither be ethnocentric nor religious. Also, citizens should refrain from religious or ethnic sentiments at all levels.

I rest my case!!!

People like u who think u are woke are the reason the north would keep ruling Nigeria , u think north reason like u do ? ...u think those 12 million voters in the north care about progress in this country ? Do they even see we have problem ?

Continue to form work let them continue to vote in blocks

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Masterkernel1: 4:10am On Jun 16, 2020
BlowYourMind:

By them... At least 80% of landed properties in Lagos would have turned theirs. Hope you saw the video Making run, of your people begging Tinubu, Obasanjo to help them get there property back.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by BlowYourMind: 6:17am On Jun 16, 2020
Masterkernel1:

By them... At least 80% of landed properties in Lagos would have turned theirs. Hope you saw the video Making run, of your people begging Tinubu, Obasanjo to help them get there property back.
Another liar from devil incarnate tribe, go and watch the video they claimed Igbo are buying land, it was sanwo olu that locked the place
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by BlowYourMind: 6:19am On Jun 16, 2020
Igbochief001:

That's if igbos haven't bought all south west land in the next 20 years .....
Let them buy what they wish and see how they die
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by helinues: 7:18am On Jun 16, 2020
Power is not given but taken.

Anyone interested in 2023 presidency should contest.

Enough of all this emotional talk
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Ogbuu101: 7:21am On Jun 16, 2020
Ajibade123:

Why not.
Is the lying pastor not a part of Buhari's disastrous govt?

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by 7lives: 7:53am On Jun 16, 2020
BlowYourMind:
Another liar from devil incarnate tribe, go and watch the video they claimed Igbo are buying land, it was sanwo olu that locked the place

grin grin grin grin grin
Wiked.
Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 16, 2020
BlowYourMind:
Let them buy what they wish and see how they die
Shut up na u go kill them ...there is nothing juju Igbo have known this since 1800

1 Like

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by 900winer(m): 10:51am On Jun 16, 2020
proeast:

Nonsense, there are far better versions of Osinbajo in Igboland. Afonjas have had their turn and 2023 is the turn of Igbos.
Confused Osu grin

Re: 2023 Presidency: Equity Should Be A Nigerian, Power Must Rotate by 900winer(m): 10:58am On Jun 16, 2020
Masterkernel1:

Another lie from an Osu Igbo, show me where they claim Igbos are buying their lands confused Ipob Jew grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram: Nnamdi Kanu Reacts To Dr. Mailafia Obadiah Revelation. / “govt. Offered Survivors Of #lekkimassacre N5 Million Each To Keep Silent” –.... / Biafra: Ohanaeze Knocks IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu Over Secession Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.