Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Eagles Are Overrated –okocha - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eagles Are Overrated –okocha (800 Views)

Flying Eagles Are The Winners Of The African Youth Championship / Brazil 2004: Why Super Eagles Are Not Ready For The World Cup / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Eagles Are Overrated –okocha by smile11s(m): 4:46am On Jan 26, 2011
A former Super Eagles captain, Austin Okocha, on Tuesday said one of the problems facing football in the country was that Nigerian players are overrated.

Okocha stated on Tuesday Night Live on SuperSport that the country was not what it used to be in all aspects of the game.

He said, “The beginning (of rebuilding the Super Eagles) has to do with our realisation that we no longer have the kind of talents we had (in the past) and there are so many issues we are contending with.

“The administrators are not working well like before and the players themselves are being overrated and that is affecting the system.

“A player like Yakubu Aiyegbeni was very good before now but after his injury he did not come back as expected.”

The former Bolton player disclosed that one of his greatest regrets was his inability to win the Africa Footballer of the Year award.

“I will be deceiving myself if I say I am not regretting it. It is painful because one will always aspire to be at the very top. I was close on two occasions but missed out on it. That is football for you and I take it in good faith,” he said.

On his decision to join the technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation, Okocha explained that there was a communication problem which made him to initially turned down the appointment.“I just read and heard about it and I felt that was not good enough but later I was convinced that efforts were made to reach me. I have started work and will do my best to help football develop in Nigeria,” he stressed.

Punch NEws
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201101261211453
Re: Eagles Are Overrated –okocha by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2011
good thing to do,we all need to rebuild our football

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Unpatriotic – Tb Joshua Or Chris Green? / Ruby World Cup Final New Zealand 8 Vs France 7 / Brazilian Legend Socrates Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.