Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,717 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:31 AM

How Do I Start Learning Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Start Learning Programming? (1303 Views)

How Do I Start Please / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Avoid The Hard Ways Of Learning Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Start Learning Programming? by jimfarayola(m): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2020
Please how do I start learning programming from basic level?

What steps am I going to take to become a software developer ?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Coder2Client(m): 11:09am On Jun 19, 2020
You need to define what you want to become as a software developer. Is it Web, mobile, or full stack developer? Chanel your energy towards that direction of your choice.

You can buy courses or get free courses
Get good books on your stack.
Build something
Build something
Again, build something
Keep building something
Build something

We learn by building that idea we have in mind. At first, you'll fail, don't be scared you will surely be frustrated, oh no! You want to give up because you couldn't debug your errors. Yes, those are the things software developers face. You dont give up.

Why not start now?

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Robnectar(m): 11:10am On Jun 19, 2020
can someone put me through
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Akhigbeblog(m): 11:16am On Jun 19, 2020
Robnectar:
can someone put me through
I have videos that can help you, if only you stay in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Robnectar(m): 11:27am On Jun 19, 2020
Akhigbeblog:

yes I'm in abj, location is airport road, u nko?
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by sonofthunder: 11:37am On Jun 19, 2020
jimfarayola:

1. Get a laptop/desktop. You may commence learning with your phone but not advisable for the long term.
2. Get stable internet access
3. If possible, get a mentor
4. In your case it seems you are a total novice so I recommend learning the basics of any programming language of your choice. I recommend Python but any would suffice.
5. Decide on where you want to major. Web dev, mobile apps, etc.
6. For places where you can learn from, search for online bootcamps or download tutorials from YouTube. Alternatively you could pay for these videos, few guys even sell on this site. Other sites that teach are Lynda.com, cousera and udemy.
7. You can get 4 and 6 above from any tutoring centers around you but I doubt most will teach you properly though they can be good for getting resources and guidance.
8. Start building apps/websites from these tutorials or personal ideas. You may need to add them to your CV or show to clients in your early days.
9. Start freelancing or applying for jobs. Both if you can juggle the time.
10. Come back and request my account number grin. I done try small, just begin wire me small percentage for consultancy.

6 Likes

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Akhigbeblog(m): 12:07pm On Jun 19, 2020
Robnectar:

yes I'm in abj, location is airport road, u nko?
I stay in iddo close to uniabuja but I'm currently in kubwa
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by stanliwise(m): 2:21pm On Jun 19, 2020
jimfarayola:

pick a language of any choice. Just one language and just one.

Get a laptop

Go to YouTube and find the started guide including the softwares and the compilers

That is how to start.

But to make it a career requires more than this.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Robnectar(m): 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2020
Akhigbeblog:
I stay in iddo close to uniabuja but I'm currently in kubwa

I knw ido very well, when are u going to b around pls
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Akhigbeblog(m): 3:31pm On Jun 19, 2020
Robnectar:

I knw ido very well, when are u going to b around pls
I school in uniabj so literally, it when school resume
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Robnectar(m): 3:34pm On Jun 19, 2020
Akhigbeblog:
I school in uniabj so literally, it when school resume

shiiit, can we meet at berger junction
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Akhigbeblog(m): 6:19pm On Jun 19, 2020
Robnectar:

shiiit, can we meet at berger junction
Shea na you go pay my tp?
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Tim1212(m): 9:16pm On Jun 19, 2020
My advice don't follow all these stacks programming.. learn any programming language of your choice. Don't bother seeking for a job or clients.

Create a software that will take over the world. Jack Dorsey of Twitter is a programmer. Mark Zuckerberg is a programmer. Create a program that you may wish to sell or live as a business.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by stanliwise(m): 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2020
Tim1212:
My advice don't follow all these stacks programming.. learn any programming language of your choice. Don't bother seeking for a job or clients.

Create a software that will take over the world. Jack Dorsey of Twitter is a programmer. Mark Zuckerberg is a programmer. Create a program that you may wish to sell or live as a business.
My exact philosophy but then again I realized working for people gives you just the experience you need to develop your app

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Tim1212(m): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2020
stanliwise:
My exact philosophy but then again I realized working for people gives you just the experience you need to develop your app

Not really comfortable doing clients work. Software is an intellectual property that you can't quantify with monetary value.

You can decide to create software that clients would subscribe to. Not giving clients the copy right of your code.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:33pm On Jun 19, 2020
Tim1212:

Creating software is one thing. Marketing it and getting users onboard is another thing. Software development is hard and marketing is very expensive. If he learns to code and gets a job in a fast-growing startup he can see how things are done with regards to fundraising and all of that.

A lot of people have created cool software that didn't get anywhere because of no money to market it.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by stanliwise(m): 1:31am On Jun 20, 2020
Tim1212:

Not really comfortable doing clients work. Software is an intellectual property that you can't quantify with monetary value.

You can decide to create software that clients would subscribe to. Not giving clients the copy right of your code.
you still have the mentality before the introduction of copy left and free software. People don’t hide codes anymore they only hide ideas. Go out work for people, it is almost impossible for anyone will hire you to build Facebook or google. They are just small project that will give you the experience
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Tim1212(m): 2:59am On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Creating software is one thing. Marketing it and getting users onboard is another thing. Software development is hard and marketing is very expensive. If he learns to code and gets a job in a fast-growing startup he can see how things are done with regards to fundraising and all of that.

A lot of people have created cool software that didn't get anywhere because of no money to market it.

I totally disagree, you can't create software that solve difficult problem that will not take over the market.

Neil Patel created AI for SEO that took over the global market with out advertising it. It is dominant on major search engine.

Not all giant software company requires fund to take it public.

Create a software that meet international standard, you don't require funding to go global.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 20, 2020
sonofthunder:

1. Get a laptop/desktop. You may commence learning with your phone but not advisable for the long term.
2. Get stable internet access
3. If possible, get a mentor
4. In your case it seems you are a total novice so I recommend learning the basics of any programming language of your choice. I recommend Python but any would suffice.
5. Decide on where you want to major. Web dev, mobile apps, etc.
6. For places where you can learn from, search for online bootcamps or download tutorials from YouTube. Alternatively you could pay for these videos, few guys even sell on this site. Other sites that teach are Lynda.com, cousera and udemy.
7. You can get 4 and 6 above from any tutoring centers around you but I doubt most will teach you properly though they can be good for getting resources and guidance.
8. Start building apps/websites from these tutorials or personal ideas. You may need to add them to your CV or show to clients in your early days.
9. Start freelancing or applying for jobs. Both if you can juggle the time.
10. Come back and request my account number grin. I done try small, just begin wire me small percentage for consultancy.

What about game dev
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by sonofthunder: 7:16am On Jun 20, 2020
Xavfra:

What about game dev
Just follow the same process. You still need to learn programming unless you want to focus on character creation or UI/UX design. All these things we are mentioning are very broad and most people don't know where to focus but by the time you learn the basics of one aspect, you'll discover most areas/department and then you focus on what interests you. Manage my two kobo.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by sonofthunder: 7:21am On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Loud it oh.... Many people are wasting their talent and skill because they will not work for another even when they evidently find it challenging to stand on their own.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:45am On Jun 20, 2020
Tim1212:

I totally disagree, you can't create software that solve difficult problem that will not take over the market.

Neil Patel created AI for SEO that took over the global market with out advertising it. It is dominant on major search engine.

Not all giant software company requires fund to take it public.

Create a software that meet international standard, you don't require funding to go global.

Hahahahaha. Bro I came from a digital marketing niche and Neil Patel didn't make that software he bought it. He has said so countless of times on his YouTube channel.

Marketing is extremely important. It's only in Nigeria I see people relegate marketing. Why do you think startups in the west have preseed, seed, series A and all sorts of funding. Building is one thing, getting it to market is another thing.

Many smart people have wasted their times and built things that didn't work cause they had no money. I mean look at zoom. The founder was vice president of one of the biggest video conferencing firms in the USA before starting out. They raised 2 million dollars in seed funding and consequent millions over the course of the companies starting life.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Tim1212(m): 10:26am On Jun 20, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Hahahahaha. Bro I came from a digital marketing niche and Neil Patel didn't make that software he bought it. He has said so countless of times on his YouTube channel.

Marketing is extremely important. It's only in Nigeria I see people relegate marketing. Why do you think startups in the west have preseed, seed, series A and all sorts of funding. Building is one thing, getting it to market is another thing.

Many smart people have wasted their times and built things that didn't work cause they had no money. I mean look at zoom. The founder was vice president of one of the biggest video conferencing firms in the USA before starting out. They raised 2 million dollars in seed funding and consequent millions over the course of the companies starting life.

Become an influencer in your industry, bro you don't need digital Marketing. The algorithm used by Google and Facebook is not perfect to personalize ads.

Some companies need funding to look big. But not for advertisements.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:39am On Jun 20, 2020
Tim1212:

Become an influencer in your industry, bro you don't need digital Marketing. The algorithm used by Google and Facebook is not perfect to personalize ads.

Some companies need funding to look big. But not for advertisements.

Digital marketing isn't the only form of marketing bros. It depends on the company and what they do. What will influence a company's marketing is who your customers are and the best way you can get to them. If ones market is mostly older people it will make sense advertising on newspaper and televisions than Facebook and Google ads. You can't relegate marketing and sales. It will end in tears in any new software product.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2020
sonofthunder:

Just follow the same process. You still need to learn programming unless you want to focus on character creation or UI/UX design. All these things we are mentioning are very broad and most people don't know where to focus but by the time you learn the basics of one aspect, you'll discover most areas/department and then you focus on what interests you. Manage my two kobo.

Thank you baba!......

Abeg na 2 billion wey. You gimme......

Me sef wan start. But no direct focus.....
I never too ready as well....I go contact you when.i dey ready abeg��
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by eLionel(m): 9:31pm On Jun 21, 2020
Akhigbeblog:

I am in abuja please help, location is Gwarinpa, Expecting your response pls thank you.
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Akhigbeblog(m): 9:34pm On Jun 21, 2020
eLionel:

I am in abuja please help, location is Gwarinpa, Expecting your response pls thank you.
I stay in kubwa
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by sonofthunder: 8:35pm On Jun 23, 2020
Xavfra:

Thank you baba!......

Abeg na 2 billion wey. You gimme......

Me sef wan start. But no direct focus.....
I never too ready as well....I go contact you when.i dey ready abeg��
Who dash you baba? I'm a learner oh. Stay blessed bro.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 23, 2020
sonofthunder:

Who dash you baba? I'm a learner oh. Stay blessed bro.

Me never even start school for where you dey.....

I just need to get a new laptop and good internet
Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by Unbiased1: 9:32pm On Jun 23, 2020
jimfarayola:

It depends on why you want to learn programming. What exactly do you want to build or create that requires programing, that way one can easily give you a guild on how to start learning programming and the first set of languages you should learn.

Now let me break it down for you. If you are interested in Web Development, that is, building of websites and other web apps that can be run with a web browser like Opera, Mozilla, Chrome etc, you should start with
1) HTML: This will be the framework of your site
2)CSS: This will beautify your site, add colors, change fonts etc
3)JavaScript: This is a programming language that makes your site smart in a way. It adds life to your website.
4) PHP: If your website requires people open accounts and stuff like that, PHP is the job for that. It is the server side of your website.

After learning those languages above, you can boost your works by learning React JS, Node JS and SQL. Node JS and SQL can also function like PHP.

If you are interested in app and game making, you can use app development tools and game engines for that.
Adobe PageUp is a cross-platform app development tool which means that apps developed using this tool can used on both Android and iOS devices. The good part is that coding in Adobe PageUp is done using HTML, CSS and JavaScript which I mentioned earlier.
There are other App development tools you can use like Xamarin, Android studio etc
So for App development, I advice you start with the languages I mentioned above, C# & C++. You may also need Java and Swift when developing apps for Android and iOS respectively.
As for Game development, you can start by learning C#, and C++. Others are Java and JavaScript. It all depends on the game engine you intend to use for the development. For example, Unity 3d game engine requires C# or JavaScript while Unreal Engine needs C++.

If you want to learn coding for embedded systems and other microcontrollers like Raspberry pi and Arduino, you can learn C, or C++ for Arduino and learn any other programming language for raspberry pi because raspberry pi supports lots of programming languages.

Now that you have read this, it's left for you to decide on what you want to do and right language to start with. cool

If you want to learn coding free of charge, just go to play store and download "sololearn app". It provides a convenient platform to learn coding free of charge with your phone and practice as much as you want.
You can also using W3Schools to learn free of charge. W3schools is an online tutorial center where you can learn coding. It's much better to use the website on Google Chrome than to download the app from play store cause the app has lots of issues so just use the website and begin your journey into Computer Programming.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Start Learning Programming? by thymm: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2020
Is it advisable to pickup on where I stopped with PHP? Or learn something else entirely

(1) (Reply)

This Is Targeted At ALX Cohort 13 Students. / I Need A (it) Career Course That Leads Me To Telecommunication Industry / How Can I Create Blackberry App For My Blog?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.