Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,713 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist (785 Views)

Pink Alien Found On Mars Rover Camera (Video & Pictures) / Rare Shiny Clouds Spotted On Mars (Pictures) / NASA Rover "Perseverance" Lands On Mars After 7 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 21, 2020
Professor Jean-Marc Salotti, an expert at The Bordeaux Institut National Polytechnique, says survival depends on access to natural resources and people's working time requirements being less than their working time capacity

Just 110 humans would be needed to set up a new civilisation on Mars, a scientist has said.

The minimum population would be needed to help make tools and commodities before supplies run out.

They would have to live in an oxygen-filled dome if we were to set foot and live on the red plant.

Agriculture and industry would also have to be set up.

Professor Jean-Marc Salotti made the prediction after carrying out research.

The study findings would ensure there wouldn't be a real life version of Matt Damon's character in Ridley Scott's blockbuster The Martian.

The 2015 film tells how the actor's astronaut character Mark Watney is stranded on Mars after being left behind.

Prof Salotti's scientific paper takes us one small step - at a snail's space - closer to making cities in space possible.

He said: "What is the feasibility of survival on another planet and being self-sustaining?

"This question is of particular importance for the future of space conquest and perhaps also for the future of humanity in general.

"I show here that a mathematical model can be used to determine the minimum number of settlers and the way of life for survival on another planet, using Mars as the example.

"It is based on the comparison between the time requirements to implement all kinds of human activities for long term survival and the available time of the settlers.

"An important parameter of the model is called the sharing factor, which allows some reduction of time requirements per individual if, for example, the activity concerns the construction of an object that can be shared by several individuals.

"For survival on Mars, some assumptions are made for the organization of the settlers and engineering issues.

"The minimum number of settlers has been calculated and the result is 110 individuals."

The Bordeaux Institut National Polytechnique expert says survival depends on access to natural resources and people's working time requirements being less than their working time capacity.

For instance, can settlers produce enough commodities and tools before their existing supplies run out.

He assumes support from Earth has been cut off due to war, a lack of resources, or the settlers declaring an independent Martian republic.

His factors are the number of settlers, what living conditions are acceptable, the main engineering choices for agriculture, industry and life support, and how resources would be shared and organised.

Prof Salotti stresses this is a hypothesis using Mars as a case study, "a rough estimate with numerous assumptions and uncertainties".

US billionaire Elon Musk is pumping cash into his SpaceX programme in hope of one day colonising Mars.

He recently sent the first commercial rocket carrying astronauts to the international space station.
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/just-110-humans-would-needed-22217805

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by DrinkWater247: 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2020
Ok
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by meobizy(f): 1:45pm On Jun 21, 2020
As usual, a lot of people have to die first before we get the hang of surviving on the red planet. Nairalanders, are any of you mentally prepared to etch your name into the history books? I can, I give zero fvcks.
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Sabby1(m): 1:55pm On Jun 21, 2020
Agriculture, industry and record breaking are the keys to gaining the attention of people in starting a civilization in Mars. The scientists should plant crops and rear animals there first and many will consider going there without being compelled to do so. So many people will also want to go there to engrave their name in the book of records.

For me, I am not willing to go, not even for a price
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Eife(m): 2:06pm On Jun 21, 2020
Abeg where can I sign up
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 21, 2020
Sabby1:
Agriculture, industry and record breaking are the keys to gaining the attention of people in starting a civilization in Mars. The scientists should plant crops and rear animals there first and many will consider going there without being compelled to do so. So many people will also want to go there to engrave their name in the book of records.

For me, I am not willing to go, not even for a price
you did be honored as a pioneer, lol

They could form a country and name after you, how about that? grin

2 Likes

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2020
Eife:
Abeg where can I sign up
You register through me, I am the country representative for Nigeria

Note: registration isn't free and no guarantee that you will be selected even after payment of registration fee coz all applicants will be made to undergo survival screening test and only 2 slots allocated to Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Sabby1(m): 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2020
Macsjebs:

They could form a country and name it after you, how about that? grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy You're trying to entice me, but I still won't go. You all should go, but ensure you handover "the earth's keys" to me grin grin

1 Like

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Sabby1(m): 2:18pm On Jun 21, 2020
Macsjebs:

Note: registration isn't free and no guarantee that you will be selected even after payment of registration fee coz all applicants will be made to undergo survival screening test and only 2 slots allocated to Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
Nigerians will still rig the selection process grin grin grin
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 21, 2020
Sabby1:

Nigerians will still rig the selection process grin grin grin
Selection process will be just to fulfil righteousness, the richest will take the slots even if they won't go, they would just reserve the space and buy land there till things become normal

1 Like

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Sabby1(m): 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2020
Macsjebs:

Selection process will be just to fulfil righteousness, the richest will take the slots even if they won't go, they would just reserve the space and buy land there till things become normal
Lolz, that's gonna be unfair

1 Like

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Eife(m): 4:56pm On Jun 21, 2020
Macsjebs:

Of all the countries in the world they gave 9ja 2 slots lol
I never travel the world finish na Mars I won run go
Abeg who dey pursue me

1 Like

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by kiddkash(m): 2:13pm On Jun 22, 2020
most of them would be inbred
when the population reach about 10,000
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Odunayomi247(m): 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2020
abeg I go go this earth sef don tire me
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Blakjewelry(m): 4:52pm On Jun 23, 2020
meobizy:
As usual, a lot of people have to die first before we get the hang of surviving on the red planet. Nairalanders, are any of you mentally prepared to etch your name into the history books? I can, I give zero fvcks.
No way, but if a planet that is closely earth related is found, I will be among the first person to jump on it if given the opportunity
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by pmoye(m): 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2020
I want to check something... Would you carry gay and lesbians to Mars? If yes, how will they reproduce? And how will the human species survive?

Macsjebs:
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/just-110-humans-would-needed-22217805

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, dominique
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Palehair: 11:02pm On Jun 23, 2020
pmoye:
I want to check something... Would you carry gay and lesbians to Mars? If yes, how will they reproduce? And how will the human species survive?

Ever heard of surrogacy or artificial insemination?.... Yeah, look it up. Google is free. A gay man don't have to sleep with a lesbian to have a child. He ejaculates into a cup and its injected in the woman, shikena. It's not rocket science and no need of the traditional way
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by pmoye(m): 9:45am On Jun 24, 2020
Isn't that ... wait, hypocrisy? Las las a gay man still needs a lesbian woman to make babies. Wonderful.

Even then they will need to go to Mars with so many cups and syringes ni yen o.

And thanks, I already know a lot about artificial insemination, perhaps more than you ever will.

Palehair:

Ever heard of surrogacy or artificial insemination?.... Yeah, look it up. Google is free. A gay man don't have to sleep with a lesbian to have a child. He ejaculates into a cup and its injected in the woman, shikena. It's not rocket science and no need of the traditional way
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Femiadeybayo: 10:28am On Jun 24, 2020
pmoye:
Isn't that ... wait, hypocrisy? Las las a gay man still needs a lesbian woman to make babies. Wonderful.

And thanks, I already know a lot about artificial insemination, perhaps more than you ever will.
TECH

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Palehair: 4:30pm On Jun 24, 2020
pmoye:

And who told you, all straight people want kids?

Then why did you ask the question at first? One's sexuality is no obstacle to having kids, this is the 21st century, I know straight couples who don't want kids and gay people can still have kids the natural way, they jerk off, when they are about to burst in, they burst into the lesbian's vagina.
Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by pmoye(m): 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2020
They are going to Mars to propagate the human species. If your dick no like vagina or your vagina no like dick simply stay put instead of going to embarrass your generation. The picture here is not that of the Earth but of a planet where the sole mission is to ensure the survival of the human race. Now, let me sleep. E se.

Palehair:

And who told you, all straight people want kids?

Then why did you ask the question at first? One's sexuality is no obstacle to having kids, this is the 21st century, I know straight couples who don't want kids and gay people can still have kids the natural way, they jerk off, when they are about to burst in, they burst into the lesbian's vagina.

Re: Only 110 Humans Would Be Needed To Start A New Civilisation On Mars - Scientist by Palehair: 5:20pm On Jun 24, 2020
[quote author=pmoye post=91026484]They are going to Mars to propagate the human species. If your dick no like vagina or your vagina no like dick simply stay put instead of going to embarrass your generation. The picture here is not that of the Earth but of a planet where the sole mission is to ensure the survival of the human race. Now, let me sleep. E se.

[/quonow.
Who told you that gay people don't like vagina?
Please, I implore you to read on human sexuality. The fact that when it comes to homosexuality, your mind wanders off to the sex shows how pervert straight people are, so then there is nothing like romance or love in a straight relationship, it's just the sex then.
Sex is an action, anybody can do it because they have to, sexuality is more of an attraction, it's beyond sex, it's who you want to be with, whom you have feelings for, whom you feel attracted to.
Straight men sleep with gay men for money and they are still straight, they don't enjoy it but the know they "have" to do it. Gay men in the past sleep with straight women for posterity, they also don't enjoy it but they also have to do it.
Is it not just sex? Gay guys go Bleep vagina and dem go tire. As long they know they are doing it for a purpose, they are having sex because they have to not because they want to. There is an underlying purpose for it and you wanna tell me that the technology that took them to mars won't be also advanced to prolong the human race? C'mon now

Yes, now you can sleep

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Bulb Africa About? / Professional Computer Installation Training / Health Safety & Environment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.